SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-11, 08:38 AM   #751
bsachems
Swabbie

Downloads: 350
Uploads: 0
Default Metal of Honor

I got Medal of Honor yesturday after sinking 24 merchants, 2 destroyers and a battleship. I am using TMO with Training wheels for SH4 1.4. After I ran out of ammo I started ramming fishing boats and sampan. It was fun.
bsachems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 08:45 AM   #752
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome to SubSim bsachems!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 03:55 AM   #753
Vansteken
Nub

Downloads: 0

Hi everyone,

first of all, thanks for this wonderful site and community, it helps beginners alot to understand the basics of SH and gain more knowledge about this game...

I'm totally new to SH and basically to any submarine simulating game, so the first thing i did was reading the manual... I noticed the manual had some flaws and then began to play the tutorial section of the game itself and reading some useful guides on this forum... I passed the first 3 training missions, but got stuck with the convoy attack, so here is my first question:

1. When the game starts, i am able to estimate the course of the convoy and manage to get closer, in fact, within range...
However, there are 3 destroyers and somehow, they always manage to know where i am... I am always at periscope dept, advancing 1/3 ahead... I know on the navigation map there's a double radius for each destroyer, but i don't know how to avoid it.... They simply use a sweeping pattern and as i am going very slow (1/3 ahead as mentioned) it is impossible to avoid them...
So my first question: how to get in an excellent firing position and passing the 'guarding' destroyers unnoticed untill you can fire at the merchant ships itself?

So the mission goes on... The destroyers spot me, they close in fast... I dive to 40m and try to shake them (changing course regularely, ...)... However, i never manage to shake them... I am able to outmanouver them a bit so the dept charges don't do any harm but that's it... They always stay close to me... so here is question 2:

2. How to escape destroyers? Dive deep and go on flank speed and change course regularely doesn't help for me... What do i do wrong then?

Hopefully i can at least manage a succesful attack on an armed convoy after the answers...

To end, i have 2 other questions:

3. Does the sonar work as good when you are 40m deep as if when you are at periscope dept?

4. When you launch a career, you have a crew... I noticed most of the crew has got a skill with a speciality... Can someone tell me how he decides which compartment gets which crew members? (according to specialities, ranks, efficiency, leadership, ...)
For example: Does the officer in a torpedo room also need some leadership to guide the others of his team?
And how to 'collect' a good damage control team? It rarely seems to have any effect...

Kind regards,

Vansteken

PS: I'm sorry if i've made some spelling mistakes, english is not my native tongue...
Vansteken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 12:25 AM   #754
Able Brown
Seaman

Downloads: 7
Default SH4 requirements

It looks like I made a real rookie mistake. After downloading SH-4 I noticed it crashed on tutorial startup, so I rechecked my system requirements.

Windows XP -check
2GB ram -check
240 Ghz Pentium -check
4X DVD -check
Hard drive space galore

128 MB video card...things have gone terribly wrong. Can anyone steer me in the direction of a moderately priced replacement for my terribly out of date 64MB Dell D-2400 video card. Is it an easy, out of the box install like memory or is it a trip into the shop? -Thanks in advance
Able Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 05:37 AM   #755
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Not even sure a Dell will accept just any card, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteken View Post
1. When the game starts, i am able to estimate the course of the convoy and manage to get closer, in fact, within range...
However, there are 3 destroyers and somehow, they always manage to know where i am... I am always at periscope dept, advancing 1/3 ahead... I know on the navigation map there's a double radius for each destroyer, but i don't know how to avoid it.... They simply use a sweeping pattern and as i am going very slow (1/3 ahead as mentioned) it is impossible to avoid them...
So my first question: how to get in an excellent firing position and passing the 'guarding' destroyers unnoticed untill you can fire at the merchant ships itself?
You can try going deep and coming up inside the convoy. Think it's better to aproach from about 45deg angle-on-bow either side and launch before being detected though. Fire at range and be well clear of the area before they realise you're around.
Quote:
2. How to escape destroyers? Dive deep and go on flank speed and change course regularely doesn't help for me... What do i do wrong then?
Go deep and quiet. 40m is not deep, it's quite shallow in fact. Use flank speed to get out of the way of cans, stay silent otherwise.
Quote:
3. Does the sonar work as good when you are 40m deep as if when you are at periscope dept?
Technically it should work better, though I doubt it makes a difference in the game.
Quote:
4. When you launch a career, you have a crew... I noticed most of the crew has got a skill with a speciality... Can someone tell me how he decides which compartment gets which crew members? (according to specialities, ranks, efficiency, leadership, ...)
For example: Does the officer in a torpedo room also need some leadership to guide the others of his team?
And how to 'collect' a good damage control team? It rarely seems to have any effect...
Can't quite recall tbh. I'm sure the search function can turn up several threads that clarify this.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 07:48 AM   #756
cush
Swabbie

Downloads: 26
Default campaign setting

I'd like to know if it's possible to customize the settings in the campaigns (ie: ext view, events...). It seems the choice is restricted to pre-defined settings (easy, normal, hard, realist).
Is there a file to modify?
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 05:07 PM   #757
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9

When you are In Port (in the office), click on the radio on the bookshelf (to the left) and adjust options as you want.

Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 06:45 PM   #758
cush
Swabbie

Downloads: 26
Default works great!

thank you
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 03:25 AM   #759
MerchantMarine1982
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

ahoy mate's I am trying to figure out a modding issue:

My SH4 Gold is installed on a Toshiba laptop, it has the right spex, and plays the stock game well. It is a 64 bit system running Windows 7.

I don't seem to have any problem whatsoever installing JSGME, and everything seems to work for the mods until I start the game...then it acts as if they were never there.

The mods I have tried are the GFO mod, and the Blackwolf+Titan Superfortress mods...Now in the past, on a different PC I could turn on the mod with JSGME, and go on the game to quick mission or war patrol, and select one of the boats for my selected mission, but they are never there!

I apreciate the help, I'm still playing my careers, it's just i like the occasional mayhem when I take the camera perspective from a jap ship which has the Titan's full broadside comming to bear at them...bright flash!...rain of pain baby!

Kevin
MerchantMarine1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 01:09 AM   #760
I-25
Commodore

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by makonen View Post
Hey all,

I come here because you are my last chance^^. I was so disapointed by SH V that i have reinstalled the IV, btw, i've got a *** prob when i try to install u-boat missions. Here is the message i get (i have already tried to uninstall SH,...always the same prob) :

"Error Code: -5001 : 0xffffec6b
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (77)
PAPP:Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific
PVENDOR:Ubisoft (http://www.Ubisoft.com)
PGUID:0D005F09-A5F4-473B-A901-5735C6AF5628
$12.0.0.49985
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) BT_OTHER 8.0"

...If somebody can help, that could be awesome !

Thanks,
Mako
did anyone ever resolve this cuz i followed everything i found uninstalled ran CCcleaner made sure there was no files or anything and im still getting this error.... Im running Win 7 Ultimate 64x
I-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 09:03 AM   #761
Sea Wraith
Watch

Downloads: 34

Will my PC run SH4

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The ram and processor meet the requirments but video I am not too sure about I know it is an integrated chipset but I am not sure where I can find the info.edit found it ou Have: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset

Last edited by Sea Wraith; 10-08-11 at 09:14 AM.
Sea Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 09:34 AM   #762
Sea Wraith
Watch

Downloads: 34

Tried this and it says I failed

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com...if/1072/0/4368

Video card I pass on 128 mb but fail on Hardware T&L and also Vertex shading.

It also says I fail on system rewuirments to run SH3 in same categories yet SH3 runs on my pc.

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Required You Have Video RAM 128 MB 128.0 MB 3D Yes Yes Hardware T&L Yes No Pixel Shader version 2.0 2.0 Vertex Shader version 2.0 0.0
Sea Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 02:01 PM   #763
Grooveclubhouse
Swabbie

Downloads: 37

hey a quick question: What does this picture on the desk do?

It does nothing when I click on it... running u-boat mission add on 1.5 here
Grooveclubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 06:56 PM   #764
Able Brown
Seaman

Downloads: 7

Sometimes a picture is just a picture. You can, however, edit it for a customized desktop (That's your narrator and the Mrs. in a retro 40's shot) The same can be done to the pinup picture in the Sonar Room. There are a couple of threads and downloads on this subject.
Old 01-19-12, 11:02 AM   #765
Grooveclubhouse
Swabbie

Downloads: 37

AHHH! thanks for the info. All this time I thought that my SHIV was bugged.
Grooveclubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote