SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-14, 03:47 AM   #16
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

You might find some slight differences due to rounding by the program - I tried it with the two examples but could only get one OR the other answer exactly, not both.
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 12:14 PM   #17
Svonne
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Either you are using a widescreen resolution mod.

Or you have Windows Vista/7/8 and the game is installed into the Program Files folder somewhere, and the game is not run using an administrator useraccount.

Thanks so much! I had the widescreen mod. LOL now I have a new problem: hitting print screen or shift-F11 only copies my background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heinrich View Post
Wow, that's bloody brilliant

Glad you found it useful Svonne, hope you get the issue fixed, would love to see that it actually works when others use it
I'm going to see if I can get a decent pic w/ a phone when I get home from work. Not only do I plan to see the google maps but I will be eager to use this Kriegsmarine grid calculator from this thread as well.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=201376

http://grid.nylle.de/find

BTW, from your first post, according to link above your grid is AN9814

Svonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 12:28 PM   #18
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svonne View Post
Thanks so much! I had the widescreen mod. LOL now I have a new problem: hitting print screen or shift-F11 only copies my background.
It's the widescreen mod that causes those screenshot-CTDs. Consider letting your graphicscard settings scale the game to max screen resolution. It may be not good quality, and might produce black sidebands, but it would prevent crashes.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 11:13 AM   #19
Svonne
Sailor man

Thanks again Pisces. I took out the mod and reset my computer to play the game. It doesn't crash when I hit print screen anymore, but it doesn't take a screen of my game either. When I paste in paint, its just a picture of my desktop.

Oh well, hopefully these cell phone pics pass. This is a convoy's location reported to me.

and ta-da! here is same location on google maps!

and the grid square. My math may be off, but I'm happy its in the ballpark. I noticed my game reported position as AN42.
Old 02-22-14, 08:55 AM   #20
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2

That's fantastic Svonne, your maths looks fine to me.

I'm not sure how accurate the grid squares are in SH3, particularly with the projection used - and that convoy is right on the edge. Did you take the measurement's at 07:22 game time? I'm only asking as any data on navigation is hugely useful for me.

Also I'm not sure whether the game reports convoy locations accurately via the radio - if anyone more knowledgeable can answer that would be brilliant.

My system was intended to give you a corresponding real position including compensation for SH3's "larger Earth"
Old 02-26-14, 05:02 PM   #21
Svonne
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heinrich View Post
That's fantastic Svonne, your maths looks fine to me.

I'm not sure how accurate the grid squares are in SH3, particularly with the projection used - and that convoy is right on the edge. Did you take the measurement's at 07:22 game time? I'm only asking as any data on navigation is hugely useful for me.

Also I'm not sure whether the game reports convoy locations accurately via the radio - if anyone more knowledgeable can answer that would be brilliant.

My system was intended to give you a corresponding real position including compensation for SH3's "larger Earth"
Nope, sometime between 7:22 and 9:58. Not sure exactly what time I took it.

That would be interesting to know. I have assumed that the historical radio messages are accurate from GWX.

Thanks to this game I've developed an interest in real navigation and I'm glad you shared your system. I actually have wondered 'where would this really be'.
Old 03-23-14, 02:07 PM   #22
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

If I correctly recall in GWX, it depends what is being reported. But I've not used it in rather a while so can't recall exactly what.

Glad you found the system useful though, I find the more you learn about navigation IRL the more you get drawn in.
Old 06-11-14, 03:39 PM   #23
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

Just looking at your image gain Svonne, you'll see that the point you measure from is just beyond the edge of the AN42 grid square. Phew, thought my system was broken

Tags
coordinates, coords, maps, navigation, real navigation