SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-12, 09:41 AM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
what is the purpose of the button?

What is the point of activating the button on the right side of pull out screen in OM? What puprose does it serve? I have not been ablve to figure it out.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 10:27 AM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
What is the point of activating the button on the right side of pull out screen in OM? What puprose does it serve? I have not been ablve to figure it out.
Do you mean on the TDC panel? That is how you input data.Enter range, speed, AOB, point scope on target then you hit that button, it "locks" the solution into the TDC and the AOB adjusts as you move the scope as does the bearing so you can fire.Once you have fired and when ready to enter new solution, you click the button again to unlock the solution and enter new data for new firing solution.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 02:51 PM   #3
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Do you mean on the TDC panel? That is how you input data.Enter range, speed, AOB, point scope on target then you hit that button, it "locks" the solution into the TDC and the AOB adjusts as you move the scope as does the bearing so you can fire.Once you have fired and when ready to enter new solution, you click the button again to unlock the solution and enter new data for new firing solution.
This what I thought. But it is not working. When I input the data and activate the button (having locked my scope of the target), I am missing behind the target (per the data appearing on the Attack Map.) I must be doing something wrong? I had this figured out about a year ago, and i am unsure of what mistake I am not making.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 03:16 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
This what I thought. But it is not working. When I input the data and activate the button (having locked my scope of the target), I am missing behind the target (per the data appearing on the Attack Map.) I must be doing something wrong? I had this figured out about a year ago, and i am unsure of what mistake I am not making.

Are you running OMEGU with OM?

I have found with German TDC its best to fire with a bit of a lead angle.I learned manual targeting in the PTO with fleetboats, so was used to US TDC and firing when the bearing reached zero in most attacks.Traditional 90 degree attack and worked nearly every time.German TDC it is better to fire say 10 degrees before zero and 20 if target is further, all depends on AOB.

Example....merchant is moving at 6 1/2 knots heading 270 I enter the range, AOB, speed, place scope on center of target and click the button, data is inputted(make sure the light glows, turns a purple color) and then move scope to firing bearing or just follow target until its there.When target reaches 10 degrees, fire your torpedos.Also, remember that eletric torpedos travel slower than air torpedos so aim just ahead of where you want it to impact.

I was missing a bit in OM.Speed is a tricky thing in OM.I have noticed most ships did move at a solid speed say 6 knots, they will be moving at 6 1/2 or just over or under that speed.Just be careful with the speed dial and make sure it is set correctly.The dial is easy to enter the incorrect speed.Sure you know how to gather target speed?

With map contacts, mark the target location on the map, time it for 3 minutes, mark spot.Use the ruler to measure distance.traveled 600 yards(well meters in OM if use authentic measurements.Should be different but its roughly the same I have found, speed measurement is accurate)600 meters= 6 knots.650 meters-=6 1/2 knots.

Without map contacts, can dot he same thing just have to pay close attention and use scope to take bearings when in visual and put it on the map properly which can be a pain.

A tactic I have used with much success on large convoys when it is difficult to pick out specific targets is to use the salvo fire feature that U boats have.I aim for the middle of the convoy and set the gyros accordingly sending the fish out. I usually get at least two hits.Last patrol in the Atlantic I did this because could not get close in on night surface attack, fired four T1 torpedos set at 7m on magnetics....four ships down, one fish each...all from a blind shot.Other times I usually get 2 hits minimum and bring down two ships.I prefer to pick out my targets but at times in OM this "spray and pray":is a necessity.Man what a different war it was than in the PTO .
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote