SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-09, 11:17 PM   #1
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371
Uploads: 1
Default Uboats in the Suez Canal - late 1942

After being told the Suez Canal was controlled by the British in late 1942... I just had to try and sneak through. I refueled at Messina and then entered the canal at port Said around 16:40 and arrived at the Red Sea 3 days later. Picked up multiple radar warnings by Port Said - but the canal itself was thankfully empty all the way down to As Suways and the Gulf of Suez.

I ran wide open - 17 knots - all the way down to the Gulf of Suez. Making the transit at night proved a smart choice as I did not have to worry about finding any undiscovered shore emplacements. The Great Bitter lake passed without any sightseeing at all.

When I came out into the Gulf of Suez by As Suways I picked up several merchants docked at the port... but decided not to make a ruckus... and it was a good thing too because the north end of the Gulf of Suez turned out to be thoroughly patrolled by Elco torpedo boats and armed trawlers. Transit time for the canal itself was just under 8 hours at 17 knots.

The canal itself and the Gulf of Suez were mostly empty... with the exception of several troublesome fishing boats and armed trawlers as I got closer to the Red Sea. But then once in the Red Sea there was nothing but open water to the Gulf of Aden.

I left St. Nazaire in the wee hours of October 7 1942... and arrived in Penang on November 15, 1942 - with only 4% fuel remaining. Running wide open as often as possible to transit the canal ate up a lot of fuel. I am not sure I would want to make it a regular route... methinks luck and good karma played a large hand in my completing the transit safely. But anyway... there ya go - it can be done.

Your turn, Ivank!

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"

Last edited by Akula4745; 10-22-09 at 06:33 AM.
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 12:10 AM   #2
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 614
Uploads: 10

Nice report, it seems like an exciting trip.

But I'm a bit disappointed that "someone" isn't using my German map labels mod .

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 12:43 AM   #3
Hunter
Commander

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheberge View Post
But I'm a bit disappointed that "someone" isn't using my German map labels mod .
Then you should have said - 'Ich bin ein bisschen enttäuscht', I suppose
I play German language version by myself for better immercion. Btw, where can I find this mod?
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 12:43 AM   #4
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Congrats Akula! Now if you can transverse the Panama Canal on your way back to the Vaterland, you get the coveted Iron Cross with crossed sluice gates.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 01:40 AM   #5
renthewog
Helmsman

Downloads: 213

Quote:
Im interested in your german map labels mod where can i download it from mate? cheers
renthewog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 02:50 AM   #6
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Ich würde es auch mögen. Bitte. Danke.
Old 10-22-09, 06:12 AM   #7
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Quote:
Nice report, it seems like an exciting trip. But I'm a bit disappointed that "someone" isn't using my German map labels mod .
My dear friend, Big E... I made the Suez Canal trip using my OM "testbed" installation and not my "regular" OM install. Your German map labels mod is a core ingredient of my primary OM install and to be honest... I have no idea how I survived so long without it. It is only through my own laziness and neglect I have failed to add the delightful German map labels mod to my testbed iteration. I can only beg your humble forgiveness for being so inept and unthoughtful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Then you should have said - 'Ich bin ein bisschen enttäuscht', I suppose I play German language version by myself for better immercion. Btw, where can I find this mod?
Big E's fantastic German Map label mod can be found here... and might I say it is truly the cat's meow when it comes to adding a deeper sense of immersion to the game:

Download:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1372

etheberge's release post:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
Congrats Akula! Now if you can transverse the Panama Canal on your way back to the Vaterland, you get the coveted Iron Cross with crossed sluice gates.
WoO-HOo! Once I have the coveted Iron Cross with crossed sluice gates in my possession... all the frauleins will swoon with sensual delight whenever I walk into the room... oh boy, Panama Canal here I come!!

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"

Last edited by Akula4745; 10-22-09 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 07:24 AM   #8
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula4745 View Post
WoO-HOo! Once I have the coveted Iron Cross with crossed sluice gates in my possession... all the frauleins will swoon with sensual delight whenever I walk into the room... oh boy, Panama Canal here I come!!

Wow! looks like soon you'll be exploring...um..uhh...your way into five new...uh..umm...varieties of beer! Yeah, that's it. Beer. Don't forget to post the maps for these.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 11:09 AM   #9
Hunter
Commander

Downloads: 166

Quote:
Congrats Akula! Now if you can transverse the Panama Canal on your way back to the Vaterland
It would be the first trip around the world in Silent Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 12:33 PM   #10
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
It would be the first trip around the world in Silent Hunter
No I have done it with one of my ocean liners... it is very boring, not having guns.

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 03:22 PM   #11
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank View Post
No I have done it with one of my ocean liners... it is very boring, not having guns.
LOL Yeah... but did you go thru the Panama Canal?

Old 10-22-09, 05:47 PM   #12
Wijbrandus
Loader

Downloads: 101

Akula,

How shallow was the canal? Was it even possible to submerge if you'd come under shore battery fire?

I'm a daring sub captain, but that seems beyond my acceptable risk. I salute your intestinal fortitude!

Wijbrandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 06:12 PM   #13
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

no around it,

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 06:31 PM   #14
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wijbrandus View Post
Akula,
How shallow was the canal? Was it even possible to submerge if you'd come under shore battery fire?

I'm a daring sub captain, but that seems beyond my acceptable risk. I salute your intestinal fortitude!
You are far too kind, good sir... whats the old saying? "Only fools rush in where angels fear to tread" (? - anyway something like that). The canal itself was seriously shallow and I doubt I could have submerged completely even in the deepest of spots. In places I would have sworn I was kicking up mud because of the way the boat reacted... I tried to check the depth with the external camera a time or two when I felt like I was dragging bottom... but it was such a dark night I could not see my hand in front of my face underwater - which thankfully also created great cover for me.

However once you got into the Gulf of Suez there was 30 +/- feet of water to hide in. Quite truthfully if it had not been for perfect timing as far as darkness and good choices on my part... I definitely would have been toast a couple of times with the Elco boats and armed trawlers which were patrolling the north end of the Gulf of Suez - by the south exit of the canal. I obviously had good luck... one of the Elco boats was patrolling back and forth E to W slowly working his way south (ESE > WSW > ESE > etc) and good fortune smiled on me as I found myself in a perfect spot to slip past him as he started working his way back up the Gulf... and a light fog in the southern end of the Red Sea didn't hurt my feelings either.

I had several distant warship warnings in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden... but never made visual contact with anything but the Elco boats and armed trawlers just below the south end of the canal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank View Post
no around it,
Well I guess if we can go through the Suez Canal... it would only seem logical the same is true of the Panama Canal too.

Old 10-25-09, 02:05 PM   #15
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Suez is possible, but panama..

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote