SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-17, 07:31 PM   #1
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290
Uploads: 0
Default Dumb down

For you hard core, please don't hate. Been playing sims since Nintendo put out the FIRST Silent Service (that would be 1985). However, I am not having fun getting my ass handed to me in every training session, cept the first two. PLEASE mod this to add even MORE expansion on the difficulty level (the current does NOTHING to change how quick you get kicked in the booty). For those of you who think it's "just right' or think it needs to be "harder", more power to you. However, this post is for your "I'm having no problems" replies.

There are ALOT of of simmers having issues with the EXPERT Russian detection. And just fyi, can't talk about it too much, but as a 1980-1994 CTR, I can tell you the Commies had NO idea where our boomers or fast attacks were. Just saying. For modders AND devs!

Jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 09:08 PM   #2
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

I hear ya....
Been playing since Gato, and though that's no excuse for a higher learning curve, I'm finding it real difficult to fight with Narwhal in the 84 campaign.
Anyway, cant wait to see what our modders can do!
Old 06-14-17, 09:42 PM   #3
Thresher
Sparky

Downloads: 20

Navigator, what kind of problems are you having?
Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 03:21 AM   #4
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
There are ALOT of of simmers having issues with the EXPERT Russian detection. And just fyi, can't talk about it too much, but as a 1980-1994 CTR, I can tell you the Commies had NO idea where our boomers or fast attacks were. Just saying. For modders AND devs!

Jack
Are you seriously telling me you want to play a game where your targets are helpless in front of your torpedoes?
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 12:07 PM   #5
gord96
Commodore

Downloads: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
I'm finding it real difficult to fight with Narwhal in the 84 campaign.
That's because you are trying to fight with the Narwhal in the 1984 campaign.
gord96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 12:25 PM   #6
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post
Are you seriously telling me you want to play a game where your targets are helpless in front of your torpedoes?
Did I say that? No, I don't want an "I win" button. However, ervery single sub/naval sim I have played over the years have all had a learning curve. I truly believe that detection (Soviet side) is a little out of wack. So yes, I'm asking for a "less hard" practice option so that when I go out to play the normal version I can play for more than a 15 minute span. Cheers

Jack
Old 06-15-17, 12:28 PM   #7
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
Navigator, what kind of problems are you having?
Detection, detection and detection. I've started watching the videos by Captain Jive Turkey and I am getting a little better at evading the onslaught of fish in the water. I'll try and post a video of my mis-management tonight.

Jack
Old 06-15-17, 06:08 PM   #8
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
That's because you are trying to fight with the Narwhal in the 1984 campaign.
Reminds me of the joke...."Doc, it hurts when I do this."
"Then don't do that!"

Narwhal is a unique boat. It was one of a kind.
Quietest until the Seawolf showed up.
She's like a super Sturgeon and would have been in her prime back in 84.
Plus, I believe you can only get her in 84, not 68.
Old 06-15-17, 07:14 PM   #9
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
Did I say that? No, I don't want an "I win" button.
Yeah, but you said you believe that the Commies have "NO idea where [the US] fast attacks were", implying that you want that to be true here as well.

Quote:
However, ervery single sub/naval sim I have played over the years have all had a learning curve. I truly believe that detection (Soviet side) is a little out of wack. So yes, I'm asking for a "less hard" practice option so that when I go out to play the normal version I can play for more than a 15 minute span. Cheers
I actually agree this game is harder than say Dangerous Waters. But it does have a learning curve, and I think it forces better "habits" than DW. No more "power-turning", for me at least. I will soon be able to figure out exactly when I should move, so I don't get murdered by the Super-Silexes.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 08:34 PM   #10
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post
Yeah, but you said you believe that the Commies have "NO idea where [the US] fast attacks were", implying that you want that to be true here as well.

I actually agree this game is harder than say Dangerous Waters. But it does have a learning curve, and I think it forces better "habits" than DW. No more "power-turning", for me at least. I will soon be able to figure out exactly when I should move, so I don't get murdered by the Super-Silexes.
Just keeping a friendly convo. What I meant by that statement was that in the "whole" the US Naval fleet, at the time, was superior at evasion and detection. Just looking for help. Fifty two year old computer player (ya, was playing before most of you were were born) for the game. have a YouTube guy, Jive Turkey, that might be the answer. Cheers!
Jack
Old 06-15-17, 09:21 PM   #11
-Pv-
The Old Man

I too started with Gato on the Atari ST. Watching for changes the devs make to the game before I "dive" in to the game. This early in release I do not expect modders to solve all the problems since the devs have asked for and said they will respond to feedback.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 11:13 PM   #12
ScreamingElectron
Watch

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 1

OP, visit my realistic sensors and sonar mod in the downloads section.
Your Mk.48s will be less magical, and your sub will be quieter.

Also, stop running your sub so loud.
Old 06-15-17, 11:18 PM   #13
gord96
Commodore

Downloads: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
I too started with Gato on the Atari ST. Watching for changes the devs make to the game before I "dive" in to the game. This early in release I do not expect modders to solve all the problems since the devs have asked for and said they will respond to feedback.
-Pv-
It's a really good game. It has bugs and we are pretty much beta testing right now, but if you like naval/submarine warfare games, then this game is worth checking out now. It's good to support a developer who is making these types of games, as military sims, and especially naval sims, are rare lately.
gord96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 04:54 AM   #14
Waervyn
Seaman

Downloads: 6

At first I would just fire torpedo's whenever I had a solution. Lately I've been trying it the more stealthy way, get into their baffles while having a close look that their active and passive are below zero. I was in their baffles at about 10kyd distance...shot a torpedo, and within 2 seconds they fired a torpedo back at me.

Not sure what I did wrong, but that was kinda demotivating.
Waervyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 05:18 AM   #15
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
At first I would just fire torpedo's whenever I had a solution. Lately I've been trying it the more stealthy way, get into their baffles while having a close look that their active and passive are below zero. I was in their baffles at about 10kyd distance...shot a torpedo, and within 2 seconds they fired a torpedo back at me.

Not sure what I did wrong, but that was kinda demotivating.
I think that was a bug in a game, not your fault. AI shouldn't detect torpedoes in their baffles, unless they're using active sonar.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote