SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-10, 05:18 PM   #1
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsoie View Post
688 has a very good campaign, featuring nice videos and all.
It has even a "gamey" upgrade system in which you can buy with the points earned from completing missions, allowing you to work around the fact there is only 1 playable submarine, as by customising it then you could "simulate" that you are driving some other sub.

I think this makes the campaign more enjoyable than in the later Sub Command and Dangerous Waters.

Something 688 has that Sub Command and Dangerous Water do not is the possibility to actually "hear" the faint sound coming from the enemy sub while you study the waterfall in broadband, you did not have to only use the waterfall and sonar peaks to figure out a contact.

This feature was removed in a Sub Command patch, as Sonalyst toned down a very lot the sound produced by the subs, so you could not really hear them anymore yourself (as the sound of the water was then higher) you could only hear the surface vessels, torpedoes and biologic, and from what i read Sonalyst kept those the same in Dangerous Water.
I recently got 688i running in a virtual WindowsXP using qemu on my Linux laptop and I have to say I was surprised how well this game has held up. Hard to believe it was originally release in 1997. The 3D view now looks pretty cheesy, but other than that it still plays quite well.

I has to laugh when I read the recommended system requirements for 688i - a 90 MHz Pentium with 16 MB of RAM and Windows95. Even trolling eBay I think you'd have trouble finding a system that limited today.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 05:10 AM   #2
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakarpatska View Post
I recently got 688i running in a virtual WindowsXP using qemu on my Linux laptop and I have to say I was surprised how well this game has held up. Hard to believe it was originally release in 1997. The 3D view now looks pretty cheesy, but other than that it still plays quite well.

Does the audio of the game work ? I mean sound effects and all ?
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote