Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-19, 01:01 AM   #421
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
So, how about that radar-controlled scorpion battery?
BS. Just a macguffin to even the odds to make the last combat more even. Of course, there's a possibility Rhaegon will return, being not really dead.
Old 05-07-19, 04:23 AM   #422
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
The show completely jumped the shark after s8 e3. I don't think there's any real reason to continue watching it. Everything about this season feels like a rush job, like some verbose essay writer who notices he's reaching the word limit of his assignment and tries to abruptly wrap things up.
Other than "I don't think there's any real reason to continue watching it" I'd tend to agree.

It would appear now that the odds are so heavily stacked in favour of one side that it will take one helluva fantastic script turnaround to convince me the year plus wait for season 8 was worth it.

My curiosity will as usual get the better of me and I'll watch to the end even if just for the fact I've not missed any previous episodes.

Here's to a fitting/believeable finale

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 04:40 AM   #423
iagocor
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Well it shows the importance of sending a forward detachment to secure the key terrain, then to provide forward recon and security from said key terrain.

And the importance of airborne force recon.

And the importance of a HUMINT intel gathering network.
That moment john said "no, he would need to recover from his wounds" you could tell the dragon was gonna get hitted hard. I mean, pretty convenient... the one time they set up a narrative/foreshadowing they do follow. (sorry my english)

I am the only one pissed of about the ""battle"? I mean, the last episode was a 5 minuts quickdraw extended for ever, 1 hour of stupid battle recreation... (it shouldn't last that long, wtf, and it served nothing (that episode was only the last 15 minuts)

And now they put the whole euron fleet coming out of a rock to scare the hell out of dany and then SHOCK! 5 people on a beach screaming "they jailed missandrey"... WHAT THE ****?
iagocor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 03:11 AM   #424
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 05:15 AM   #425
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 08:03 AM   #426
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Is there a spy among them? How else did Euron know where and when to be?

I noticed Euron grin turns to flabbergasted in the new trailer..is there something other than Drogon in the sky?

My favourite for the crown is Gendry. He has Baratheon blood and Targaryen blood.

Danny will turn mad like her father. Jaime will kill her and Jon him. Arya to kill Cersei.

Jon to refuse the throne and Gendry is next in line.
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 11:02 AM   #427
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadiver View Post
My favourite for the crown is Gendry. He has Baratheon blood and Targaryen blood.
Gendry has Targaryen blood? From where?

Personally, I never make predictions, mainly because I'm always wrong.
Old 05-08-19, 11:58 AM   #428
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I have a prediction but it's such a sure thing I don't want to post it, it would spoil the ending.
Old 05-08-19, 04:46 PM   #429
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Gendry has Targaryen blood? From where?

Personally, I never make predictions, mainly because I'm always wrong.
Yes, the Baratheons and Tartargaryens have inter married. King Robert and his brothers had a grand mother or great mother who was a Targaryen.

Robert and Dany are 2nd cousins iirc.

Even the Golden company has Targaryen links

Martin's back histories are very interesting.
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 06:17 PM   #430
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Thanks for the reminder. I remember that now that you spelled it out for me. I was thinking on more recent bloodlines, but you're absolutely right.
Old 05-08-19, 06:29 PM   #431
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I think there's a phenomenon where once a new series gets going and proves to be very good, people sign on to it and support it enthusiastically. But when it gets down to the last few episodes people tend to want to write the ending themselves and their expectations veer into the ditch.

I say the show is still great. I agree there are some moments where I think it could be better but overall, greatest series ever.
Old 05-08-19, 07:08 PM   #432
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I have a prediction but it's such a sure thing I don't want to post it, it would spoil the ending.

PM it to me and i will leave it unread until the season ends.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 07:12 PM   #433
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

A lot of people have said these last two seasons feel rushed. I think this is brought about by the fact that for six years we had multiple characters, each with his/her own storyline, and a lot of attention was paid to those stories. Now all the various characters have come together and their stories are still there, but tied together they take up a lot less space and time.

People also like to dump on the writers for various reasons. I keep saying that for me the best parts of the show are the quiet conversations, and the four episodes so far this season show that that hasn't changed. As far as I'm concerned that part of the writing at least is still top-notch.

Also, one other thing hasn't changed. They're still willing to rip our hearts out without mercy, and no one is safe.
Old 05-08-19, 07:13 PM   #434
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
PM it to me and i will leave it unread until the season ends.
Good idea. I can't wait to find out what it was.
Old 05-09-19, 01:16 AM   #435
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

The big problem with the writing is imho that it isn't action->consequence anymore, but instead set-up->pay off.

Ned Stark got his head chopped off because he went to King's Landing, in the midst of his enemies, and ruffled some feathers. He paid the price for it. That in turn led to the war between North and South, the Red Wedding and so on.

What were the consequences of Arya foolishly prancing about when she knew she was being hunted by the faceless girl? She got stabbed. Ok, did the stabbing have any consequences? No. She was just fine shortly after. It was a set-up for the Arya v faceless girl chase and the pay off of Arya killing her. That's just one of many examples of the changed way of writing.

Heck, sometimes there isn't even a pay off. Making what happens completely pointless. Good example was when the Unsullied took Casterly Rock and then watched Euron's Deus Ex Machina fleet destroy theirs. Next we see the Unsullied back with Dany. Umm... great, what was the point of that? I believe it is the same episode where someone says to Dany that Euron has destroyed 'most of their fleet already'. How many ships does Dany have? Her fleet keeps getting destroyed yet it means nothing because she's always got more ships.

What about Tyrion getting smacked in the head by a ship's mast in the last episode? Scene cuts and literally in the very next scene we saw he is fine, not a scratch. What was the point?

What about Jon gathering his remaining 'family' to tell them who he really is? No pay off whatsoever. I just don't understand what they are trying to do anymore.

As for people being angry that their expectations aren't met, sure absolutely. Most expected the Night King to be an actual threat. Of course people are angry that what has been touted as the biggest threat against all things living for the past seven seasons ended up being a dud.

I still like the show as a whole, just finished rewatching seasons 1-4 and it was great, but I have no illusions for any great ending after what I've seen so far with this episode. And it sucks.

To not be all negative, let us appreciate the best (imho) battle scene in the show; The Massacre at Hardhome

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones, thrones