SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-06, 07:26 PM   #1
Deathblow
Captain

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Switching Sonar Displays

Is it possible to switch the Akula's Sonar GUI with the 688 Sonar GUI? I just can't stand that cylindrical display

Anyone ever tried?
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 12:31 AM   #2
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Ah man, the Western broadband is an eye and back killer... I'd much rather have my low tonals at a glance.

Perhaps if it were possible to add the waterfall in red to the Gepard, I'd be very much in favor of that... alas, its all akulas or none and I don't even want to begin to think about how to do that... out of my skill set.
Old 02-12-06, 01:08 AM   #3
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

It was done in SC -
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopi...+sonar+display

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 01:11 AM   #4
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Ack, I would want the graphics to be redone... simply using one subs interface for another... gosh how hackish.

Ingenious and fine for personal use, but I think an actual mod along these lines would have to aim higher.
Old 02-13-06, 12:05 PM   #5
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Ah man, the Western broadband is an eye and back killer... I'd much rather have my low tonals at a glance.

Perhaps if it were possible to add the waterfall in red to the Gepard, I'd be very much in favor of that... alas, its all akulas or none and I don't even want to begin to think about how to do that... out of my skill set.
The FRAZ NB is better than the US narrowband A-scan, but I don't understand what's so "killer" about the waterfall or why you think it inferior.

The waterfall provides three pieces of info: intensity, bearing and time versus two. It also allows for longer integrations and thus weak signals show up better.

Honestly to today I still don't understand why the Russians don't use it until recently - it isn't that big an extra strain on processing, is it?
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 04:10 PM   #6
Hobnail
Bosun

Downloads: 8

The waterfall is much superior for picking up transients, I can't count the number of times I've come back to BB and been able to start searching for a contact on a particular bearing that thrashed the water 20 seconds before.

Try doing that in the Akula/Kilo.

Be kind.
Hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 06:56 PM   #7
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Actaully you cold probably redo the Akula panel to have a BB display. I remember when SCX was about and SCU someone did a new fire control station for an Alfa i think and it only had the 4 tubes you'd get. OK maybe not an Alfa but some Russian sub.

So if you have the time and the energy open up the 688i BB Sonar bitmaps, work out the positions, Russify it and then rename it. You'd then have to copy a bunch of other files too but it could be done.

Thing is you can't get a red water fall. Not with 688 anyway. Only with Seawolf and I think even if you redid the seawolf one and mixed and matched you might not get the buttons right.

Bascially it can be done and I don't think it would be breaking the EULA as it is a copy and paste exercise where files are concerned.
Old 02-14-06, 01:24 AM   #8
Bellman
Sea Lord

Two options appeal - first importing SW NB to the Akula and second importing Akula BB to the SW.

Spotting those faint transients is vital. I take it that only the graphics sonar panel display would be tinkered in
the change with no doctrinal changes to sonar performance and ranges. So its a question of enhanced player
instrumentation and transient visibility and not shoeing in SW sonar performance. Because if that was
implemented it would change the ballance of power, in SW v Ak, to the AK by combining missile stand-off
with potentialy longer range sonar sensitivity.

The perception is correct that the SWs TA NB performance in game outstrips the Aks. Typicaly with a ratio
now of 14.5 to 8. ( 1.03) My experience is that clicking in Ak NB, where no transients show, can produce 'light-ups' ..
But not sufficient to compensate for the differential

However I have noticed in recent testing that, given repeat runnings of identical self-created Test
scenarios, detection ranges differ in a randomised (Diced?) marginalised way.

Option 2 would overcome the principle objection to the SW BB which is its, for some, confusing bearings display.
The Aks BB is much more intuitive. I ca'nt see that such a change would impinge on gameplay ballance.

Old 02-15-06, 02:34 AM   #9
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

I remember doing this sort of thing early on with Sub Command. The input to the interface depends on the sensors assigned to the platform in the database, so the sonar wouldn't become inherently more sensitive - at best, the interface will be kinder in allowing to pick it out.

The akula NB interface allows picking out any frequency the moment it appears, while the SW NB requires you to scan - but you better be there at the time, or you won't know it was ever there.

And the broadband history is quite useful in determining "what's going on" at a glance. Once you have the experience.

Anyway, it would be possible to have the akula BB be a "water drain" towards the center rather than the "waterfall" towards the bottom. If SCS decides to do that, which I'm somewhat doubtful of.
I would certainly not be surprised if I learned the russians had actually done that in their subs, rather than the time-less interface we see now.

I don't know the legal status of these modifications in DW - they certainly don't create new platforms, but then again, if the LA talked about the code and files... And I believe the steam buyers will have their DLL interface files locked anyway.

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-06, 03:53 AM   #10
Bellman
Sea Lord

Just speculating about 'what-ifs'

Personaly I dive the SW and like her just the way she is and could'nt give up the deadly ITA BB, longer
range NB and the RL of WAA - a great Hunter-Killer combo.

But it might be worth considering any interface changes as a mod if they have any worth
for gameplay or training purposes. :hmm:

Old 02-15-06, 04:40 AM   #11
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

To do the mods you have to copy the 688 interface dlls to the Akula interface folder.

No actual tinkering of the files is done so I don't see SCS having a problem with that.

Also if you want to alter the graphics of the 688 sonar panel once you have moved it ie russify it that could be done too.

I'd like to see someone attempt it and see the result.
Old 02-15-06, 09:05 PM   #12
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
No actual tinkering of the files is done so I don't see SCS having a problem with that.
I don't remember SCU actually 'tinkering' with the files either, just switching them around, but SCU was a prime example of what SCS didn't want anyway.

Either way, going by official statements, this type of mod will be crippled or even disabled for those who got it through steam.

Old 02-16-06, 03:36 AM   #13
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

SCU actually hacked the exe file and the dlls.

Just movig a file I can't see a problem with.
Old 02-17-06, 04:15 AM   #14
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

I guess this may be something of a grey area - but the protection against it provided by steam, provided it's like their description, is indicative of SCS' intentions. Don't be surprised if they say it does violate the eula if you decide to distribute it.

If you don't distribute it, and you're not having problems from steam with it, there shouldn't be much of a problem though.

Old 02-17-06, 08:21 AM   #15
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

He guys what do you want, a Akuwolf?

They are different, be glad, and don't mix-up with them.
We did ask for two separate subs after all, didn't we?
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote