SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-24, 04:47 AM   #1
PretzelDarter
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Icon1 New player, dumb question?

Hello!
I'm planning on playing SH4 soon, likely with the Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate mod (and perhaps some extra little mods on top) but something I've been wondering, and haven't really figured out a real answer on from what reading I have done on the forums and other places, is whether or not all members of a given submarine class exist in career (mostly concerning Gato and Balao classes, as earlier boats seem to pretty clearly have sister-ships represented from what I've seen). I'm assuming they do, but I'm also curious if there's any real way to pick a particular one (I'm aware of how the upgrade system works, I think), probably through some file manipulation (I swear I remember seeing a mod that would do something like that here via temporarily removing every other playable sub but I don't remember where I saw it). Anyone got a clear answer or insight into this? I just wanna play my favorite individual fleetboats like Wahoo or Drum, or other ones I find interesting
PretzelDarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 09:21 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelDarter View Post
Hello!
I'm planning on playing SH4 soon, likely with the Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate mod (and perhaps some extra little mods on top) but something I've been wondering, and haven't really figured out a real answer on from what reading I have done on the forums and other places, is whether or not all members of a given submarine class exist in career (mostly concerning Gato and Balao classes, as earlier boats seem to pretty clearly have sister-ships represented from what I've seen). I'm assuming they do, but I'm also curious if there's any real way to pick a particular one (I'm aware of how the upgrade system works, I think), probably through some file manipulation (I swear I remember seeing a mod that would do something like that here via temporarily removing every other playable sub but I don't remember where I saw it). Anyone got a clear answer or insight into this? I just wanna play my favorite individual fleetboats like Wahoo or Drum, or other ones I find interesting
Unfortunately, the answer is ,no, a player cannot choose to play a particular sub in SH4.
What one can do is start a career with the sub type you want and then you can change the name post-creation.
I believe there is more than one utility in the MODS forum that will help with that task.

on the topic of which subs are available, FOTRSU has many subs in each sub class and are available according to the date that the sub was commissioned. so, at whatever date you start your career, all of the subs that were commissioned prior to that date would be available. SH4 decides which one you get. it's hard-coded.

there is one other way to manipulate the selection process but one would have to understand the JSGME methods and be able to change one of the game files using a text editor.

some advice: play the Stock v1.5 game or the GFO mod set for a while before diving into FOTRSU. that way you will gain game experience in paying as well as experience with the various tools such as Large Address Aware (LAA), JSGME for handling mods, etc.

either way, good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 10:39 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

PretzelDarter!...and remember: crash-diving or blowing ballast......
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco
...either way, good luck!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 03:53 PM   #4
PretzelDarter
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Unfortunately, the answer is ,no, a player cannot choose to play a particular sub in SH4.
What one can do is start a career with the sub type you want and then you can change the name post-creation.
I believe there is more than one utility in the MODS forum that will help with that task.

on the topic of which subs are available, FOTRSU has many subs in each sub class and are available according to the date that the sub was commissioned. so, at whatever date you start your career, all of the subs that were commissioned prior to that date would be available. SH4 decides which one you get. it's hard-coded.

there is one other way to manipulate the selection process but one would have to understand the JSGME methods and be able to change one of the game files using a text editor.

some advice: play the Stock v1.5 game or the GFO mod set for a while before diving into FOTRSU. that way you will gain game experience in paying as well as experience with the various tools such as Large Address Aware (LAA), JSGME for handling mods, etc.

either way, good luck.
Understood, simply changing a name is fine with me honestly
and roger, I may wait on FOTRSU in that case and just give it a whirl in stock V1.5
PretzelDarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 07:12 PM   #5
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 11

Quote:
and roger, I may wait on FOTRSU in that case and just give it a whirl in stock V1.5
Myself after being gone for more than 10 years got back into Silent Hunter.

I drove SH4 stock for many patrols before moving up to FOTRSU.

20 Year US Navy Retired

Former Squadron CO and founder:
1997~2003
JG2, JG26, Strike Masters
Simulations: Red Baron mega multiplayer, EAW, SDOE, Falcon 4, IL2 Forgotten Battles, MS Combat Flight Simulator 3, too many more to list.
Wolfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 07:53 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
download and use this.
SH4 Change your boat name

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 05:32 PM   #7
PretzelDarter
Nub