SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-17, 04:49 AM   #1
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0
Default My 688 must have a squeek

It seems that no matter what I do, I can't stop enemy subs detecting my 688 and getting a good solution on me.

My normal missions run thus:

I start at battlestations, I don't close distance.
I go to silent running and beam the contact to try and get a quicker solution.
They normally go active at this point but this doesn't seem to improve my solution.
We end up shooting at each other at the same time and I spend the next 15 minutes dodging active torps.

Now, I've read Red Storm Rising - I want to kill subs without them knowing I was there! How do you do it?
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 05:25 AM   #2
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

What's your speed at the start of the engagement?
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 05:56 AM   #3
Tinman764
Chief

I try to start at 5 or 10knts.

I noticed something else - I was hovering just below a very strong layer just now hunting an Alpha who was also below the layer.

We fired, I bumped up through the layer expecting the Alpha and his torps to lose contact with me. Nope, they ploughed straight through into me.
Old 06-19-17, 06:26 AM   #4
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
I try to start at 5 or 10knts.

I noticed something else - I was hovering just below a very strong layer just now hunting an Alpha who was also below the layer.

We fired, I bumped up through the layer expecting the Alpha and his torps to lose contact with me. Nope, they ploughed straight through into me.
At what distance?
And how fast where you doing this?
A layer is no magic shield that protects you all the time, but it sure can help.

I agree though, the enemy always finds you even if you do your utmost to prevent this - and that really has to change.
Old 06-19-17, 06:57 AM   #5
Tinman764
Chief

Yep, I always keep the speed set to 1/3rd when I'm trying to build a solution and I picked up his torps a long way out - it's possible that they might have been ship or air dropped from something I didn't pick up, I guess. In which case putting myself above the layer would have only made things worse.
Old 06-19-17, 07:17 AM   #6
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

At 1/3rd, you have a pretty low bearing rate so it will take longer to build a solution. You have to keep a watch for the contact's ability to hear you in the signatures screen. If their sensors are below 10 dB, you can go faster and they won't pick you up. It is possible there are airplanes or helos nearby that are seeing you.

To quote ramjb here, to be stealthy doesn't mean being slow:

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 08:58 AM   #7
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
At what distance?
And how fast where you doing this?
A layer is no magic shield that protects you all the time, but it sure can help.

I agree though, the enemy always finds you even if you do your utmost to prevent this - and that really has to change.
It's strange cause I don't have that experience at all.
I believe that at the start of the engagement, if you don't choose to close in the game will put you at a distance at which either you can detect them or they can detect you. So if the sea is really noisy you can start the engagement inside their active sonar range. But in perfect conditions you can start as far as 30 KYDS(@devs - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here)
Old 06-19-17, 09:43 AM   #8
Tinman764
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
It's strange cause I don't have that experience at all.
I believe that at the start of the engagement, if you don't choose to close in the game will put you at a distance at which either you can detect them or they can detect you. So if the sea is really noisy you can start the engagement inside their active sonar range. But in perfect conditions you can start as far as 30 KYDS(@devs - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here)
There is an option to change the games distance scale from 1/2 (the default) to 1/1. I had changed this and was getting picked up on the enemy active as soon as I started each time.
I've changed this back to the default and it is exactly how you describe - much more managable.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug.
Old 06-19-17, 08:07 AM   #9
VizlaN
Watch

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
After the AI has a solution and fired at you, it knows exactly where you are no matter what you do. Devs are aware of it, but will probably take some time to do what I assume will be a full rework to an AI that does not cheat. Same goes for surface vessels.
For now, be aware they do not properly adjust for depth, so if you have the option go deep if he is shallow and vice versa, and they are not good at properly setting activation range(viable strategy is to for instance go deep and turn towards the torpedo so it activates past you).
VizlaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 08:28 AM   #10
Tinman764
Chief

I just made a seperate post, I think I've discovered a bug with the distance scale option.

Basically, if you have the distance scale set to 1/1 then as soon as you start the mission it seem that any active sonar immediately detects you with a score over 10. If you leave the distance scale alone at 1/2 then any active sonar starts with a score below 0.
Old 06-19-17, 09:01 AM   #11
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizlaN View Post
After the AI has a solution and fired at you, it knows exactly where you are no matter what you do. Devs are aware of it, but will probably take some time to do what I assume will be a full rework to an AI that does not cheat. Same goes for surface vessels.
For now, be aware they do not properly adjust for depth, so if you have the option go deep if he is shallow and vice versa, and they are not good at properly setting activation range(viable strategy is to for instance go deep and turn towards the torpedo so it activates past you).
That's not true. The reason they know where you are is because they keep pinging you, updating your position. So if you can escape their active range they will lose you. The main problem is that submarines seem to share information when they should not.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 09:34 AM   #12
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
The main problem is that submarines seem to share information when they should not.
I assumed they're using some kind of underwater telephone for that (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_telephone)
Old 06-19-17, 11:01 AM   #13
VizlaN
Watch

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
That's not true. The reason they know where you are is because they keep pinging you, updating your position. So if you can escape their active range they will lose you. The main problem is that submarines seem to share information when they should not.
What is the explanation for the behavior I linked you in the video last week, vs one sub that had -20 on SNS COMP active/-30 passive and torpedo still tracking perfectly? For reference:

You said you would pass it on to the programmer, was that not done or was what you just said what came back even tho the video shows only one sub?

Last edited by VizlaN; 06-19-17 at 11:12 AM.
VizlaN is offline   Reply With Quote