SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-20, 01:51 PM   #1
Rinaldi
Watch

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0
Default [AAR] Balao Big-Time

Hey folks, one of my favourite parts of the forums is how enthusiastic everyone is about sharing screenshots, patrol stories, and their personal little battles in careers across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. I've recently returned to TMO after a brief (and highly enjoyable) foray into FOTRSU and thought it the perfect opportunity to share my experiences in a career with you all. I figured it might prove entertaining for the working-from-home-types like myself. It's also unique for myself. The last time I had played TMO was all the way back in 2014, and I had played a Salmon class based out of Brisbane. After 7 very fruitful patrols (Late 41-Mid 43) I was offered a new boat, refused, and got a 'you've been promoted out of a job' game over! I thought it a fitting end: finishing with close to 110k tons, a good reputation and alive.

Long story short, I generally never get into anything fancier than a Gato. I wanted to try a later war start, when things really heat up in the campaign, in something flashier.

Before we begin though, let's get some preliminary stuff out of the way. What are the 'rules' of this career?

1. Dead is dead, obviously!

2. Realistic career length, for the purposes of this playthrough that means promotion to CAPT +1 patrol, or getting sacked. Whichever comes first.

3. Routine rotation of personnel every three patrols. As most of you are aware, SH4 never had the benefit of a program like SH3 Commander. It's up to skippers themselves to manage transfers, etc. Generally, like anyone with that option would, it usually means we tend to hoard the best and brightest crewmembers. It also means renown is rarely spent on replacements, at least for me.

I will be using https://freeonlinedice.com/ and will go through the boat, section by section, transferring however many men I roll. E.g.: If I roll a six for Engines, six ratings get transferred. This will create some challenge, may create crew shortages or under-staffed Officers - NCOs may have to step up. In my view, this captures the vagaries of personnel management accurately. I will also use the site to flip a coin, if heads, an officer is being transferred as well.

4. 'Experimentals' allowed, because you know what? If I got the renown, I'm going to bloody use it!

So, without further ado, meet Lt Cdr Eugene Philip Lynch, US Navy.

Having served with some distinction aboard S-42 and the Darter (SS-227), the latter as XO, he has been awarded the Rank of Lt Cdr and provided with his first independent command: Skate (SS-305). She is a Balao class submarine, a war-time design. It dives deeper, goes almost as fast and has more torpedoes in its belly than the earlier Gatos and the pre-war designs. The captain and crew have finished their work-up off the coast of California and have reported to pearl.

Currently, Eugene's XO is a gentlemen named Irvin Ryan and it is clear, to anyone who sees him in action, that Eugene is not likely to hold on to him for long: there's a command waiting for him, and soon. Ryan previously was a navigator on one of the Brisbane boats through to Mid '42.

For this career I'm running the following modset, for those curious:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9_TMO
3_TMONewDepthChargesTypeLatewar_43-45
4_TMOConningCustomEmblem

I'm running realism at 90, naturally, to allow external camera for the purposes of this AAR.

Hope this attracts some attention, watch this space!

Contents - Click a part to go to its post immediately

Patrol 1, Part 1 - 'Ebb and Flow'

Patrol 1, Part 2 - 'Changing Fortunes'

Patrol 1 Debriefing

Patrol 2 - 'Convoy Battle at Corridor II'

Patrol 2 - Debriefing

Last edited by Rinaldi; 11-19-20 at 06:47 AM.
Rinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aar, tmo