SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-07, 11:31 PM   #1
Rykaird
Weps

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Dud Torpedo Percent

I'm doing the torpedo training in the Naval Academy, but I'm struggling to get all five ships because of the sheer number of what I believe to be dud torpedos.

I have GWX installed but no other mods. I'm using "M" for the trigger, fast for the speed, all other settings standard.

I'm getting about 50% duds, sometimes three duds in a row. They strike the hull of the ship, and just bounce off. I'm shooting typically from 1000 to 1500 meters out.

Is this failure rate to be expected? Or am I doing something to encourage this high failure rate? Thanks for the help. I hope they give me some shore leave after I flunk out of the Academy so I'll have time to have a chat with the folks building these precision German instruments of war.
Rykaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 11:42 PM   #2
WOD
Gunner

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykaird
I'm doing the torpedo training in the Naval Academy, but I'm struggling to get all five ships because of the sheer number of what I believe to be dud torpedos.

I have GWX installed but no other mods. I'm using "M" for the trigger, fast for the speed, all other settings standard.

I'm getting about 50% duds, sometimes three duds in a row. They strike the hull of the ship, and just bounce off. I'm shooting typically from 1000 to 1500 meters out.

Is this failure rate to be expected? Or am I doing something to encourage this high failure rate? Thanks for the help. I hope they give me some shore leave after I flunk out of the Academy so I'll have time to have a chat with the folks building these precision German instruments of war.
Do u use magnetic pistol or impact?
If magnetic set torpedo depth 0,5-1m deeper then the keeldepth of the target is.
If using impact....be sure that the angle on bow is between 85° and 95°....best is 90°
WOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:02 AM   #3
Steppenwolf
中国水兵

Downloads: 0

You're doing something to encourage this high failure rate.

The ship's "Draft" is found in the Ship Recognition Manual. If you click on the word "Ship" on the notepad in the upper right, while you have the target locked in your crosshairs, the Ship Recognition Manual will automatically open to that type of ship. Draft is listed on that page.

"M" or Magnetic triggers are designed to be fired UNDER the target and are triggered by the metal hull while the torpedo passes under the ship. If you hit the hull, as you've noticed, nothing usually happens. If firing with this type of trigger, set the torpedo's depth to .5-1 meter below the Draft of the ship (i.e. 6.5-7 meters if the Draft is 6 meters). Any higher and you risk hitting the hull. Much lower and you may pass too far under the ship to activate the trigger. This gets much trickier when the seas are rough as the ship is bouncing up and down in the waves, but in the torpedo tutorial everythings pretty calm. Main advantage is that you can hit the ship from any angle.

"I" or Impact triggers are the ones designed to go off if you hit the hull. If firing this type of trigger, set the torpedo depth to about 1/2-2/3 of the draft (i.e. 3 or 4 meters if the Draft is 6 meters). If you aim much lower you risk bouncing off the rounded part of the hull (Ship's hulls round off as you near the hull's bottom). If you aim too high, the hole you open may not be as effective (It spends time out of the water as the ship rocks back and forth and doesn't flood the ship as fast, or even worse, be above the waterline entirely). Main disadvantage is that the torpedo must strike at an angle no more than 30 degrees horizontally as well (The closer to 0 degrees the better) or it will probably glance off the ship. Main advantage is that there is a better chance of hitting something critical, like the engine room or a fuel bunker (But you can worry about aiming specifically for those later).

Last edited by Steppenwolf; 02-02-07 at 12:14 AM.
Steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 02:24 AM   #4
Rykaird
Weps

Downloads: 36

Thanks very much, gentlemen, for the explanation. Unsurprisingly, I am doing multiple things wrong - slamming magnetic pistol torps into the hull, and also not paying enough attention to the angle when setting the pistol to "impact."

Sigh. Blaming the incompetent wrench monkey at the torpedo factory was so much easier.

Gilligan! Stock up on sausages, we're going back to school!
Rykaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 03:52 AM   #5
AndyW
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykaird
Well, if you think that's many: U-64 Lorentz (Type IX boot) 8th patrol August-October 1940. The "1940 torpedo-crisis" hit me very badly:

All 21 Torpedos dud, not one single explosion! At least 10 of them were 100% good shots (I cheated with external views). I'm not talking about doing anything wrong (distance, depth and impact angle), but plain and simple about duds.

You can imagine how pissed off and sarcastic I was after my last torp failed and I had to cruise home with 21 fired torps and zero tons sunk in my ship log. I though this is maybe a bit too rough and put off the "dud torpedo" option for the following 1941 patrols.

Cheers,
AndyW
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 09:04 AM   #6
Warmonger
Lieutenant

Downloads: 3

I for one think that there are way too few duds in the game. About 95% of the torps explode as intended even at not really good angles...:hmm:
Warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 09:33 AM   #7
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

If I remember correctly the percentage of dud torpedoes is around 6%.
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 03:08 PM   #8
danexpat
Mate

Location: Wherever you hear the grinding of a DD hull on a U-boat
Downloads: 8
Default Necro worthy of reviving

Is 6% dud rate the consensus among experienced players?
danexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 04:21 PM   #9
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Historically, 6% sounds extremely low, early war. The invasion of Norway, few, If any, torpedos were able to sink a target due to failures. Prien (Krestchmer? I forgot which one) had lined up over 100k tons of cruisers and troop transports, TIED TO DOCKS! He fired every eel and not one detonated. Multiple shots at capital ships (IIRC) were fired and missed, presumably due to duds.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 04:31 PM   #10
kroll688
Watch

Downloads: 1

I play GWX and use manual targeting, I use impact pistols the vast majority of the time. I maneuver for most shots at 90 AOB on impact and have very few duds, approx 5% sounds about right. The few times I have used magnetic the failure seems much higher, but I think usually I have misses rather than duds when there is no detonation.
kroll688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 04:37 PM   #11
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

I don't think I've ever had a torpedo fail, other than the low percentage shots that may or may not have been due to bad impact angles etc
*edit* thats with GWX3
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 07:58 PM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Historically, 6% sounds extremely low, early war.
SH3 gives very few duds. If torpedoes aren't exploding you're doing something wrong.

SH4 'fixed' this.
Old 02-04-11, 08:07 PM   #13
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Three torpedoes to finish off a stationary target aob 90 at 1000m. First two failed explode. Impact pistols, early -42. Should I try lottery tommorow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
SH4 'fixed' this.
Is there a mod somewhere to 'fix' it in SH3?
Obltn Strand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 07:06 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Go to the options window and de-select realistic torpedoes.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 09:55 AM   #15
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Go to the options window and de-select realistic torpedoes.
I meant more duds.
Obltn Strand is offline   Reply With Quote