Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Russian warship 'aggressively approached' US destroyer in Arabian Sea

https://www.wdsu.com/article/watch-r...-sea/30469977#

Other angle of the incident
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/r...-navy-n1113501

What's up with all the Russkie ships doing this? Are the US ships trespassing in Russian waters? Are the Russian crews stupid-bad drivers who cannot keep a safe distance? Is this a case of "Ooh, we're scary Russians, we play chicken of the sea with you!"

WTH, they should be happy that's not my ship, I would have brake-checked the hell outta them
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 01:55 PM   #2
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

They do it with submarines too or at least they use to do in the 60's by turning towards a known submarine detected by passive sonar and head straight for it.

They call it "Chicken dance" but in the 60's you could not tell the depth of the submarine making sounds, but could only guess.

I have no proof of this of course, but I believe the Russian CO's knew you would turn from them and there by expose yourselves to their superior way of thinking
in peace time to stay out of their area
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 02:06 PM   #3
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=328

Another thing if there were a collision most likely both ships would have been at fault as it appears neither took action to prevent such a situation from developing.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 03:28 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I may be mistaken since I am not sure of my (incomplete) knowledge of according rules, I know only about red and green position lights, port and starport.

The Russian was on the right side, which gives him the right of way then, according to ^. The American ship was faster, making it probably also claiming the right to go first. The wake in the second videos looks straight from both ships (the first vidoe cannot be seen in Germany).

Looks like a crossing situation to me, and both were thinking they must be the first making it over the finish line. And most important: don't blink while staring at the other's eyes.

If it were a car traffic situation at a crossroad, I would charge the American. The Russian only if there is evidence that there was no attempt made to brake and avoid a collision while there still was time.

Stupid form both sides in this siutation. I smell the scent of hormones in the air, plenty of testosterone. I have no tolerance for this kind of little boys playing big guys.

Both ships should have slighty evaded. Both captains are lucky I have no say in this. I would ruin both their days.
Old 01-10-20, 06:00 PM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

What's up with all the Russkie ships doing this? Are the US ships trespassing in Russian waters? Are the Russian crews stupid-bad drivers who cannot keep a safe distance? Is this a case of "Ooh, we're scary Russians, we play chicken of the sea with you!"

WTH, they should be happy that's not my ship, I would have brake-checked the hell outta them

We need to mount really big paintball guns on our ships...
Old 01-10-20, 06:03 PM   #6
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:

Besides, the only true Russian naval power is in WoWs, That's where they truly project their power. lol
Old 01-10-20, 08:34 PM   #7
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:

This is a recon/intel collecting ship, not a warship, operating outside of US territorial waters (note the region - Arabian sea).

Western intel collecting ships are a regular feature at Russian exercises.
I seem to recall one trying to fish out a hard kill counter torpedo.

So seems like over reaction. Note how we do not see the Russian ship being in front of the US ship,
so the video does not clarify who had the right of way.
Old 01-11-20, 06:26 AM   #8
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Apparently the starboard ship has the right of way, which is interesting in the context of the video.

As to the close operations - one of such cases, here you can see a Polish intel gathering ship operating during Russian life fire exercise and blocking the sector. The crew held fire till it left the dangerous zone.

Last edited by ikalugin; 01-11-20 at 06:40 AM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 07:10 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 08:04 AM   #10
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
This is a recon/intel collecting ship,

Ah, It was an action for gathering information of the US ship. Getting as close as possible naturally gave the best results.
Old 01-11-20, 08:37 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

No, it compares all to that silly walk ceremony at the Pakistani-Indian border cropssing of Wagah. Hilarious. Military history is full of examples where fighters turned into peacocks and then into lame ducks when civilizational development and new technology overtook their old ways of armouring and arming themselves and trying to fight in old ways. The dvelopment of body armour of medieval knights that got overrolled by the new age, is a good exmaple. Asia and Europe alike.

I do not find it either entertaining, nor military-style. Just ridiculous. And I do not mean the Wagah ceremony only, but this standoff at sea as well. Simply ridiculous, and unwanted. Testosterone pumping up chests and ironing faces.

As I said: if being in command, I would ruin both captains' days. Both behaved stupid, and irresponsibly. If repeating such foolish behaviour, they would be soon on their way out of my navy.

Tags
reckless russians, russian navy