SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-08, 02:48 PM   #16
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

The best are eVGA and XFX...both have lifetime warranties on their cards.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 02:52 PM   #17
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

If I can throw my opinion in here - Intel is in the middle of massive price cuts to try and push AMD to the brink. Wait a week or two - you'll save quite a bit of money.

-S
Old 04-22-08, 02:57 PM   #18
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Here is what is happening at Intel - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04...il_price_cuts/

-S
Old 04-22-08, 06:27 PM   #19
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

I just want to say thanks first of all for your comments; I’m fairly computer savvy, but my knowledge ceiling on nitty-gritty component stuff is pretty low . I think my head started to spin a bit after subsequently looking at some more mobo’s (talk about having too many choices – quite apart from not necessarily understanding everything 100%) – and of course, every product has +/- aspects and reviews - but that’s computing). So make it simpler, I’m kind of starting over here, or at least summarizing where I seem to be. Some or even a lot of the comments below are yours; apologies if for convenience I’m not quoting directly.

I’ve got two options now, let’s say Option A is a GeForce card and related mobo and Option B is the ATI card and related mobo.

Option A

I was looking at XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle … http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...-680ILT-Q6600A … looks good, but there was a concern here about the active cooling on the mobo. I checked with TigerDirect today and the chipset fans are replaceable with third party cooling products. So I would go with this if not for hesitation about GeForce cards.

The consensus (I asked TigerDirect about it as well) is that its preferable not to put an ATI card on this GeForce-optimized (my expression) mobo. The suggestion is that eVGA and XFX GeForce 8800 series or 9600GT would be best. So I’ve looked eg at XFX GeForce 9600 GT Video Card - XXX Edition http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...550&CatId=1826 and XFX GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Alpha Dog Edition http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...124&CatId=1826 , just to take two. There seem to be six kazillion kinds of 8800 card, so I’m having a hard time figuring this out. Could use some advice here.

However, the basic problem here is that I’m hesitant about GeForce cards. I have no bias against them, just that I’ve read various things on subsim that suggest that GeForce cards may be problematic or not as good out of the box as ATI cards, and need at least some tweaking, eg Rubini’s thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128517 . Tweaking as such doesn’t bother me, at least up to a point; what makes me hesitate is end-quality between GeForce and ATI cards. :hmm:

My hesitation may well be overdone, of course. As we all know, every product has pluses and minuses in the reviews (not to mention what review do you believe as ultimate truth).

Option B

I’ve looked at Abit IP35 Pro which was mentioned … http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...080&CatId=1533 . That gets a nice review and I guess I would go for that . http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3142 . And I’ve looked at Intel Core 2 quad and Core 2 Duo processors. Would go for either one I suppose. I’ve also looked at other mobos including Intel, Asus, MSI, but I’m having trouble differentiating (beyond a certain point) between them and don’t know in terms of quality generally whether eg I should avoid Asus (or any other brand) period.

For the vidcard, I would have gone with ATI Radeon X1650 Pro Video Card http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...838&CatId=1826 , but it’s said this may be an older card/technology now. (I have the AGP version and it’s been great). I wouldn’t be sure what to go to with ATI (or Diamond??) … the X1950Pro?

Waiting a week or two ‘cause Intel prices may come down has also been mentioned (although the mobo bundle pricing in option A will expire 04/30).

So If I could be a pain and ask for a bit more comment still, maybe I can get my head around this.

Thanks again everyone . Sorry for the too-long post.
Old 04-22-08, 11:12 PM   #20
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

bert8for3 you might want to also check out www.ncix.com, they are also a Canadian distributer, and quite often cheaper than Tigerdirect. For example:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...550&CatId=1826
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...anufacture=XFX

I believe they will pricematch also.

I agree with avoid active cooling on the motherboard. Even if the fan is replaceable, you may not find out it needs replacing until your motherboard no longer works because its northbridge overheated.

There is no issues with dropping an ATI card on an nVidia board, nor putting an nVidia card on an Intel chipset board. The issue comes in when you try to add a second video card. You cannot Crossfire an nVidia board, nor can you SLI an Intel-chipset board. There may be exceptions, but I'm not aware of them.

The GeForce 8800 series: 8800GT comes in 256, 512, 1GB versions. Best bang for buck of the 8800's I think. Unless you plan to run 1920x1200 or higher, or heavy antialiasing, these cards are affordable and fast.

GeForce 8800GTS has undergone some revisions. Earlier ones were inferior to the 8800GT and came in 320MB and 640MB versions. Newer ones use the newer GPU core, and I think come in 512MB version. Others can chip in here.

GeForce 8800GTX 768MB is a strong card, mine plays SH4 at 2560x1600 with the high-res Pacific environment mod enabled, and never drops below 30fps (usually well over 60fps). Has been somewhat replaced by the GeForce 8800 Ultra.

GeForce 8800 Ultra is essentially an overclocked GTX. There was no redesign done to the GTX except very minor ones. The Ultra was to replace the GTX, but you can still get GTX's all over the place. Some earlier Ultra's had serious problems with heat.

GeForce 9800GTX: bears little semblance to the 8800GTX, is more equivalent to an 8800GT in terms of comparative product performance. A person with an 8800GTX would not really wish to upgrade to a 9800GTX generally.

Currently the fastest video card out is the GeForce 9800 GX2. The closest ATI has is the HD3870x2, which is a bit slower, and a lot cheaper.

Processors: very little currently will get full use out of a quad core CPU. SH3 never exceeds 50% total CPU use on my system, which basically means it only uses the equivalent of 2 cores. The general consensus right now is its better to spend the same oney on a faster dual core than a slower quad core. Of course, if you have software that can take full advantage of quad core, then that changes things. Also, the quad core will be more futureproof, as you can be certain that software makers will start making their software compatible with multiple cores. The question being... by the time games come out that require quad core, will a current quad be fast enough?

The Core 2 Quad q6600 has been replaced now with the more efficient Q9xxx series. These are built on 45nm process so should run cooler, and if you really want to, should overclock better. Also has more cache memory (6MB instead of 4MB) and a faster FSB, besides running at 2.5GHz compared to 2.4GHz (q6600 vs q9300).
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=Intel

ATI x1650 is old news. You want at minimum a midrange HD2xxx series card, or a HD3xxx series card. You can get a HD3850 512MB card for under $200CDN now.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 05:34 PM   #21
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

@Zantham. Wow, that's great, tks for all your comments . Gonna sit down, do a bit more researching, and then ... decide
Old 04-23-08, 07:45 PM   #22
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak
You'll get plenty of life out of this one. SH3 though is single threaded and doesn't take multiprocessor capability into consideration so it will only ever use 1/4 of the processing power you get this this rig. The price looks OK as well.

You might want to think about the HDD though. If you've got an older board chances are it will be IDE only which may mean changing up to a SATA HDD instead. What GFX card are you looking at?

Also what PSU do you have? You might want to look at upgrading that while you're at it cos you might find that your old one isn't up to driving all the new kit either.
Indeed, and this, children, is one of the reasons that I do not like SH3. It's fun, but the dual core processor on my PC just isn't used to the fullest of its potential, and to add to that, SH3 takes FOREVER to load, despite the fact I'm well above the recommended requirements (loading a mission, that is; takes about 4 minutes!!!!). That's why it gets so repetitive. I can pretty much play one mission and then I'm done. Otherwise, it just wears my patience out.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 07:52 AM   #23
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

This is what I love about buying computer stuff :rotfl: ... 2G RAM for $19.99 ... http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...0&Sku=C19-4332 ... wow! great deal. Then you look at the reviews and some guy (who may well be correct ... or not) says it's single-sided high density and prone to high failure rates. Now I have to spend time researching and becoming an expert on the pros and cons of single-sided high density RAM? ... don't think so.

Beyond a certain point, you just have to accept that basically any computer component can go kablooie at any time. D**n the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
Old 05-04-08, 05:45 AM   #24
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Well, to wind this up, I thought I'd mention what I finally went for:

Mobo Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Core Duo Wolfdale 3 GHz
4G Crucial ram
Zerotherm Butterfly cpu cooler
ATI Radeon 3870 512M
+ other bits and pieces

Put it all together Friday and yesterday and booted up ... wow!

I reinstalled SH3 up to GWX2.0 (haven't yet added mods in) and started it up to see how it is. The comp doesn't even break into mild condensation, never mind a sweat.

My thanks again to everyone for all the comments and advice.