SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-17, 08:52 AM   #286
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Yes Sir.

Definitely not.

No, in fact I didn't test your original tga, because I knew that it was far too big. Here is the definitive evidence, the pictures speaks for itself (in game icon with your original tga)
Okay, that's an evidence

Since we are at it...

Quote:
No problem.

About the light's icon, reducing its size by 50 % is still acceptable :

What do you think ?
50% relative to the tga version featured in the package I posted yesterday, and with text of unchanged size?
What about moving the text on the left size of the icon, so not to overlap the overaly used for the La Vielle lighthouse?

Quote:
Don't loose your precious time on that problem, i will see/test that myself. Keep going forward with 3D modelling, you're very good !
Thanks. Today, I will post an update with a few tweaks, I think I am up to something. Should I fail again, I will leave the issue to you

Quote:
Mmh, I don't know. Maybe it's not the appropriate sound for this beacon, but sure it will be for bigger islands. On the video, the sea state is not stormy.
But still it is wavy: I can see waves breaking against a large rocky coast. Believe me, that's not the kind of sound one would expect for gentle waves lapping against an isolated and streamlined obstacle in the middle of the sea. For the model we are currently working on, but also for biggers rocky shoals as the one of La Vieille, I see 'Submarine waves lap.wav' (in SHIII's Sound folder) more appropriate.
BTW, this same sound is used as SFX of both Maunsell forts featured in GWX

Quote:
Yes, of course. I will send you v.8 during the afternoon.
...or v.9, depending who will be faster
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 09:53 AM   #287
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
50% relative to the tga version featured in the package I posted yesterday, and with text of unchanged size?
Exactly.

Quote:
What about moving the text on the left size of the icon, so not to overlap the overaly used for the La Vielle lighthouse?
Yes, sure. And it's very easy to do. You just have to enlarge the tga, without changing the size of the icon.

Quote:
I see 'Submarine waves lap.wav' (in SHIII's Sound folder) more appropriate.
BTW, this same sound is used as SFX of both Maunsell forts featured in GWX
I will try that.
Old 07-19-17, 10:37 AM   #288
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Exactly.

Quote:
Yes, sure. And it's very easy to do. You just have to enlarge the tga, without changing the size of the icon.
No problem. I have the texture in psd format and in original quality. I will do the changes

Quote:
I will try that.
Maybe try both sounds in game; from your tests, you can decide which one sounds more natural under different sea conditions
Old 07-19-17, 02:20 PM   #289
gap
Navy Seal

Default Tourelle de la Plate alpha v8

So Kendras, my new update is ready:

https://www.mediafire.com/?159pcbzq3aqv3yj

Change log:
  • I have added/removed from our files empty, unknown, start, end, index, eof chunks to reflect similar stock files. I don't think those chunks make a big difference, but you never know...

• Following the example provided by SHIII antisub nets, I have made the rock and base models in the library file child to two newly added col_* nodes with collision meshes linked to them. The placement nodes of the dummy rock, in the Terrain/Locations folder now point to these col_* nodes, rather than pointing directly to the visible models.
    Shouldn't that work, I will make one last attempt at fixing the collison of those mpdels, and I will set them as I would in SH5. If also this last attempt will fail, I swear I will leave the struggle to you, and I won't deal again with that controller in my life

• While digging into AntiSubNet.dat in SHIII's Library folder, I have noticed it got a Caustics controller, so I decided to restore back the controller in our files, but this time it is linked to the base model in the library file, not to the main lighthouse model.

• I have set all the WaterReflections controller per MLF settings. This should improve their look. If you or MLF want to further improve them, making them more "zigzagged", please go for it!

• I deleted the WaterReflection controller from the light effect as it made the game to CTD, but I have also made a copy of the file with the WaterReflection controller but without the RayTracedController one. This file was placed in a 'light reflection' subfolder of the main mod folder. Can you please test it, and tell us which version gives the best results.

• Lastly, I have edited the lighthouse icon as per our discussion of this afternoon. I hope you like it.

That's all I think. Sound settings are unchanged of course, I am waiting for your updates
Old 07-19-17, 03:39 PM   #290
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
gear

Quote:
So Kendras, my new update is ready
Quote:
I am waiting for your updates
Sorry, I got very lazy this afternoon.

After testing sounds and collision solutions, I switched to the rockets mod, going on writting the readme, and searching for pics to illustrate it.

Back to our subject :

We need to add a new line into Sh3.sdl, even if the sound already exists. It must start with 'Land.' instead of 'Submarine.'. I don't like this sound very much, but it's still better than the ambient sound of buoys.

Quote:
Change log:
  • I have added/removed from our files empty, unknown, start, end, index, eof chunks to reflect similar stock files. I don't think those chunks make a big difference, but you never know...
  • Following the example provided by SHIII antisub nets, I have made the rock and base models in the library file child to two newly added col_* nodes with collision meshes linked to them. The placement nodes of the dummy rock, in the Terrain/Locations folder now point to these col_* nodes, rather than pointing directly to the visible models.
    Shouldn't that work, I will make one last attempt at fixing the collison of those mpdels, and I will set them as I would in SH5. If also this last attempt will fail, I swear I will leave the struggle to you, and I won't deal again with that controller in my life
  • While digging into AntiSubNet.dat in SHIII's Library folder, I have noticed it got a Caustics controller, so I decided to restore back the controller in our files, but this time it is linked to the base model in the library file, not to the main lighthouse model.
It seems that it's working. I hit something, but what ?

Quote:
  • I have set all the WaterReflections controller per MLF settings. This should improve their look. If you or MLF want to further improve them, making them more "zigzagged", please go for it!
  • I deleted the WaterReflection controller from the light effect as it made the game to CTD, but I have also made a copy of the file with the WaterReflection controller but without the RayTracedController one. This file was placed in a 'light reflection' subfolder of the main mod folder. Can you please test it, and tell us which version gives the best results.
I can't check that. My laptop's graphics card doesn't render reflections correctly.

Quote:
  • Lastly, I have edited the lighthouse icon as per our discussion of this afternoon. I hope you like it.
Yeah, perfect :

Old 07-19-17, 04:15 PM   #291
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sorry, I got very lazy this afternoon.

After testing sounds and collision solutions, I switched to the rockets mod, going on writting the readme, and searching for pics to illustrate it.
No problem. BTW: did you ever manage making rockets to disappear from the racks once they are fired?

Quote:
We need to add a new line into Sh3.sdl, even if the sound already exists. It must start with 'Land.' instead of 'Submarine.'.
You are right, I didn't think about it! For maximum compatibility, I didn't want to add a new entry to Sh3.sdl, because many mods alter it, but since there's no other way...

Quote:
I don't like this sound very much, but it's still better than the ambient sound of buoys.
I can help you looking for a better sound... or do you still prefer the crashing wave sound?

Quote:

no model?
Hopefully I made an obvious mistake. The concrete base is set as the rock, and it is still rendered. BTW: did you try hitting it too?

Quote:
I can't check that. My laptop's graphics card doesn't render reflections correctly.
Okay, maybe when we have everything more or less ready, we can pre-release the package as a single mission, so people can test it and report back with their impressions/suggestions.

BTW: what is exactly the advantage of adding the RayTracedHalo to the light particle effect?

Quote:
Yeah, perfect :

Old 07-19-17, 04:40 PM   #292
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:

Quote:
no model?
Hopefully I made an obvious mistake. The concrete base is set as the rock, and it is still rendered. BTW: did you try hitting it too?
Okay, I have found why the rock didn't show up: I had inadvertently unchecked the 'Visible' flag of the node LaPlate_Rock

Can you confirm that everything else is working? Tell me yes please!
Old 07-19-17, 05:02 PM   #293
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Can you confirm that everything else is working? Tell me yes please!
Will check that !
Old 07-19-17, 05:07 PM   #294
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
No problem. BTW: did you ever manage making rockets to disappear from the racks once they are fired?
Unfortunately not. Damage inputs are always destroying the aircraft instead of the rocket ... So I gave up ...

Quote:
I can help you looking for a better sound... or do you still prefer the crashing wave sound?
Another sound would be great.

Quote:
BTW: what is exactly the advantage of adding the RayTracedHalo to the light particle effect?
I have no idea.
Old 07-19-17, 05:25 PM   #295
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Will check that !

Quote:
Unfortunately not. Damage inputs are always destroying the aircraft instead of the rocket ... So I gave up ...
One day I will put myself on that, maybe I will be luckier than you

Quote:
Another sound would be great.
Okay, before I start overwhelming you with tens of sound loops you don't like, what don't you like exactly about the stock sound that I pointed you to, and I would you expect it to be instead?

Quote:
I have no idea.
Okay, let's wait for MLF to come back and test the effect with reflection but without halo
Old 07-19-17, 05:54 PM   #296
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok. So the rock and the base are now solid (collision). The strange thing is that if I delete the 3D models circled in red, it's still working. What is special with the new 3D models (the 2 others) ?

Else, the Caustics controller works on the base, the effect is visible underwater.
Old 07-19-17, 06:09 PM   #297
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Ok. So the rock and the base are now solid (collision).
At last!

What about foam? In SH5 the game automatically spawns foam on the water surface, around objects with a StaticObject controller on them. Does it work the same for SHIII, or we will have to add the effect through val file (provided that this is possible)?

Quote:
The strange thing is that if I delete the 3D models circled in red, it's still working. What is special with the new 3D models (the 2 others) ?

That's not strange

In each tree, the first model is the one used for collision detection and it is invisible in game. The second model is the one you view in game; deleting it, or making it invisible, doesn't prevent the game from still detecting collisions when another object hits the collision model

Quote:
Else, the Caustics controller works on the base, the effect is visible underwater.
Nice, I didn't hope it would have worked so easily.

Does it look nice, or it will need its parameters tweaked?
Should we add it to the tower (main unit) too?
Old 07-19-17, 06:20 PM   #298
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
What about foam? In SH5 the game automatically spawns foam on the water surface, around objects with a StaticObject controller on them. Does it work the same for SHIII, or we will have to add the effect through val file (provided that this is possible)?
Not automatic in SH3. I don't think it's possible to add this effect to a static object, but who knows ?

Quote:
That's not strange

In each tree, the first model is the one used for collision detection and it is invisible in game. The second model is the one you view in game; deleting it, or making it invisible, doesn't prevent the game from still detecting collisions when another object hits the collision model
The strange thing is : why doesn't it work if you use only the red circled 3D models instead of the 2 others ?

Quote:
Nice, I didn't hope it would have worked so easily.

Does it look nice, or it will need its parameters tweaked?
I don't know, as this effect is also broken on my laptop. The model is only 'flashing', and that means that the effect is working.

Quote:
Should we add it to the tower (main unit) too?
You mean to the rock ?
Old 07-19-17, 06:27 PM   #299
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here is version 9 : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ajhtsd...La_Plate_v9.7z

Change log :

- deleted the Rock_LaPlate.dsd file from the Locations folder

- removed the aud_node in Rock_LaPlate.dat

- corrected the visibility of the 3D model in Lighthouse_Parts.dat

- added LLH_LaPlate.dsd

- added the Sh3.sdl file

- added the mission file with lighthouses (replaced by searchlights)

- added the Locations.cfg file (from WAC 4.1 + lighthouses)
Old 07-19-17, 06:51 PM   #300
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Not automatic in SH3.
Pity

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to add this effect to a static object, but who knows ?
I doubt it too, but if you are on it we can try. This effect would make our lighthouses so much more nice and realistic!

Quote:
The strange thing is : why doesn't it work if you use only the red circled 3D models instead of the 2 others ?
I don't know. In Sh5, collision models are the rule both for units with SH3ZonesCtrl/CollisonableObject controllers and for terrain objects using the StaticObject controller in place of the usual spheres and boxes. Digging in SHIII files, I have noticed that most objects with a StaticObject controller attached don't have collision models, so I thought the game didn't need them. That was obviously not the case for our model, don't ask me why. Luckily this afternoon I opened AntiSubNet.dat, and I got from it the clue I was missing. When I saw it had a col_ node I had an illumitation, as this prefix reminded me of analogous bones found in SH5 and connected with collision detection.

Quote:
I don't know, as this effect is also broken on my laptop. The model is only 'flashing', and that means that the effect is working.
Okay, let's wait for someone with a better hardware and artistic skills to pop up and help us with the tedious but rewarding task of finetuning those effects

If no one volunteers and we become too impatient for waiting MLF to get back to us, I might decide to once again istall the game on my computer

Quote:
You mean to the rock ?
Do you think caustics would be needed on the rock? Who would see them? IMO they would be a waste of computer resources, and not very realsitic anyway. In theory the effect should be visible above water more than below water (which is not the case apparently, we will discover why). I was wondering wether to add the effect to the main lighthouse structure (LLH_LaPlate.dat), but again, that would probably be too high on the sea surface for realistically receiving caustics (in real life)... Do you agree?