SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-11, 01:43 PM   #1
Stargazer
A-ganger

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default Alternative "Message Received" sound?

Hi,

Since I switched SH3 over to German instead of American voices, I've found the experience much better. The sound clips (presumably from Das Boot which I still havn't seen... yet) are a nice touch.

However, when I receive a radio message, which I do frequently, I get twenty minutes of morse code at 800decibels, followed by the vocal announcement.

There are various soundpacks, but perhaps someone can help me with which one I can use that will leave everything else in place but contains a nicer message received sound file so my ears don't bleed every time BDU reminds me that everyone else is a better Sub-Captain than me.

I have looked at reducing the length and volume of the files, but there are quite a few different version all in different places that it makes it a tricky effort. Also, I don;t have any swanky posh software to do it with.

Anyone got any sound files they want to share?

Cheers,

Rob.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 02:47 PM   #2
Missing Name
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 131

http://www.mediafire.com/?tdip054dqo4d5jk

Unzip with WinRar, copy the three sound files to all of the German speech folders. I'll eventually combine this with my other sound mod.

Read Brag's stuff
Missing Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 03:29 PM   #3
Stargazer
A-ganger

I appreciate that. Thank you.

I'll give these a go next chance I get.

Rob.
Old 01-24-11, 06:17 AM   #4
Stargazer
A-ganger

Much better! Again, thank you.

Even my wife was happier after I replaced the files with these ones.
Old 01-24-11, 02:45 PM   #5
Missing Name
Seasoned Skipper

You're welcome. I got tired of it as well... hence the new files.

Read Brag's stuff
Old 01-24-11, 07:17 PM   #6
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

You MUST watch Das Boot. I started playing SH3 when my friend threw it out (THE FOOOOOL!!!), and I experienced my first naval sim, having been previously interested only by the air and land campaigns. Then I came here, started messing with mods, found GWX and it's riveting instruction manual (it was a manual???), and then came across many references to Das Boot.

Curiosity made me go out and rent the film (Directors Cut), and it just brought the whole submarine experience home to me, like I was actually there in some parts, and the game just reinforced that experience so much more after watching, it should be a pre-requisite of playing any SH game, at least SH3 anyway.

I remember going out on patrols and at certain times I'd think, 'Oh this is just like that bit in Das Boot'. Then after a while of thinking this a dozen or so times each patrol, I finally realised that at the moment I gun the engines in port to the moment I return home / sink into the abyss screaming 'MUMMY!!' (delete as appropriate), I was IN Das Boot.

Good enough recommendation?

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 07:44 PM   #7
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Good enough recommendation?
Here's another - even for a confessed filmaholic, Das Boot made quite the impression.

I remember when it came out originally and got such a great reception here in the US - but I didn't see it. I remember when it was released into theaters again, and if it played anywhere nearby I (once again) failed to see it.

Nevertheless it remained stuck in my brain as "one of those movies I've got to see some day" and occasionally I'd come across a reference to it and think, oh yeah, that u-boat movie, never did catch that one, did I?

Then for some reason, out of the blue, it popped up in the front of my brain one day for no apparent reason two summers ago, and I thought, hey, I bet I can get that from Netflix, I should do that while I'm thinking about it. So right to the top of my queue it went and in due time I had it and watched it... and watched it... and watched it... and watched it... and after about three weeks and I don't know how many hours of watching it, I realized I could not bear to send the disc back until I had my own copy, so thanks to Amazon I was finally able to return the Netflix copy after a month or so.

I'm not sure how any more but somehow in surfing around the web looking for info on the movie, the real life people the characters were based on, and the u-boat war in general, I came across references to SH3 and not being much of a gamer I didn't think much of it. Then when the obsession didn't go away and I saw how cheap the game was (and how old, meaning I could prolly run it on the system I had then) I bought it. Trying to figure it out led me here.

I'll admit that being a history/military history nut with a preexisting interest in WWII helped, but... u-boats? I never would've guessed. But such is the power of Das Boot, lol. It's not just a great u-boat movie, or great war movie... it's a great movie, period.

If it weren't I wouldn't be here every day hanging out with this motley bunch, I can tell you that much.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 08:50 PM   #8
Missing Name
Seasoned Skipper

Years ago, I got the tape from the library. My VCR promptly ripped it to shreds.

Last year, I got the uncut version as a Christmas present to myself. I've already watched it at least two times.

Read Brag's stuff
Old 01-24-11, 10:17 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
Anyone got any sound files they want to share?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=978

With this you'll hear the 2WO hand the message to Herr Kaleun in a scene from the movie.

And a little add-on:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1528

And a little something extra:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2845
Old 01-25-11, 04:25 AM   #10
Stargazer
A-ganger

Thanks Sailer Steve, I'll have a go with these tomorrow night. I'm going to have severe withdrawal by then as I'm out tonight and that means no SH3. Real bummer too... I've got my first proper trans-atlantic patrol and I'm only half way to my grid. I just want to go sink more ships!!!

Anyway, I will be watching 'Das Boot' this weekend most likely. Managed to arrange a copy of the full TV version so I'll get all five hours worth! I reckon I'll do it in one sitting as well... If it's as good as everyone says it is then why the hell not?
Old 01-25-11, 12:52 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

It is as good as everyone says it is, so go for it!
Old 01-10-15, 02:57 PM   #12
Foggy
Loader

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Name View Post
http://www.mediafire.com/?tdip054dqo4d5jk

Unzip with WinRar, copy the three sound files to all of the German speech folders. I'll eventually combine this with my other sound mod.
I downloaded this, but I can't figure out where to install them. I don't appear to have a German speech folder. Under the Data/Sounds folder, there's one called Speech, one called Speech_En and neither of them have files similarly named (like the three in the mod). Also in the Data/Sounds folder, there's a ton of sound files but none are similarly named so they can be replaced either.

Can someone tell me where these three files actually go (by file path) or suggest another sound mod that only changes the annoying morse code new message sound?
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 03:43 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

'Speech' is German. 'Speech_En' is English. You want Data/Sound/Speech/1.

Look again, the files are there. You need to copy and paste so you can replace them in all nine folders.
Old 01-10-15, 03:48 PM   #14
Foggy
Loader

Downloads: 35

Roger that, I get it now. Thanks!
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 03:49 PM   #15
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

As Steve said, copy all 3 into each of the 9 folders.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote