Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-23, 11:56 PM   #4966
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Once again the bee trying to tell a joke, but it's so close to truth that it's no joke.

The best satire is difficult to discern from reality. It's why smart guys like Jim and myself are fooled from time to time when we read the article before reading the website name.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-23, 12:55 AM   #4967
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

McCarthy is now Speaker on the 16th vote. I want to know about the concessions.

Now the circus moves to the second tent.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-23, 01:20 AM   #4968
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
McCarthy is now Speaker on the 16th vote. I want to know about the concessions.

Now the circus moves to the second tent.

The better tent.

Old 01-07-23, 01:29 AM   #4969
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
The better tent.
Did you mean bitter tent?

I can't wait for the committee to investigate Hunter Biden in the hope of finding a crime. It should make for some good comedy.

David Bowie
Old 01-07-23, 01:34 AM   #4970
Buddahaid

Why am I losing badges? My best of is now gone and a spam hunter disappeared. I must be on Santa's naughty list.

Oops best of is back now. I need to clear my browser.

David Bowie
Old 01-07-23, 01:53 AM   #4971
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:

I can't wait for the committee to investigate Hunter Biden in the hope of finding a crime. It should make for some good comedy.
It is a crime to lie on the 4437 form when purchasing a gun.

It is a Felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison as per the Brady Act of 1993.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-23, 02:15 AM   #4972
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
dahaid;2846263

Yeah. Aside from the slam dunk gun charge on junior maybe we can impeach the big guy for racketeering.

Old 01-07-23, 03:33 AM   #4973
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post

It is a Felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison as per the Brady Act of 1993.
I thought the big crime involved Ukraine. I expect that crime you suggested would take the guns away from a huge amount of people and I'm surprised you even care.

David Bowie
Old 01-07-23, 03:36 AM   #4974
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Yeah. Aside from the slam dunk gun charge on junior maybe we can impeach the big guy for racketeering.
So there is no crime being investigated. Just people you don't like getting investigated in the hope of finding a crime. Sounds like some banana republic dictatorship tactic.

David Bowie
Old 01-07-23, 03:47 AM   #4975
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post

and dont forget they dump the gun in a grocery store dumpster right across from a high school
Old 01-07-23, 03:56 AM   #4976
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
I thought the big crime involved Ukraine. I expect that crime you suggested would take the guns away from a huge amount of people and I'm surprised you even care.
most don't lie on the form most criminals get them though illegal means and most legal gun owners like me care and consider the gun was dump in a dumpster right across from a high school maybe you should care too and i really hope you do
Old 01-07-23, 06:49 AM   #4977
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Concessions and their costs:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64194129

This play will still cause great problems for the USA. It was not the first act, certainly not the whole play, but only the prelude. The Republican party has de facto become a group that has disintegrated into two parts, one of which can only be described as a sect - and this sect is leaving its mark on the rest. Even Trump himself is no more than a figurehead, who no longer owns the party, but just happens to be mounted at the bow of the ship, looking at the direction the helmsman is pointing the ship at. The revolution eats its children. Welcome to the post-Trumpian era. Thins will beocme worse.
And I predicted already years ago that they would get worse even when Trump one day would be gone. His effect outlasts his presence, and irreversibly. The sect no longer depends on its founding messiah. Its time for him to go to heaven. The transfiguration serves his successor's agendas only, no longer himself.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-07-23 at 07:44 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-23, 11:28 AM   #4978
Buddahaid

Cool. I look forward to Congress getting nothing done and destroying the economy in the process.

David Bowie
Old 01-07-23, 11:41 AM   #4979
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
I'm Not going of on a tangent, but it's guys like this that are one of the reasons I have to jump through hoops to exercise my 2nd amendment right. More specifically, He has broken the law twice where there is no ambiguity over whether he broke the law or not. (1), illegal drug use/possession (video evidence). (2), possession of a firearm by a prohibited person (form 3347 along with aforementioned video). So this begs the question, what other laws has H. Biden broken and lied about, because his actions and correspondence indicate there are more laws he has broken.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-23, 07:42 PM   #4980
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Here Are The Concessions McCarthy Had To Make For Speakership

Tyler Durden's Photo
BY TYLER DURDEN
SATURDAY, JAN 07, 2023 - 11:00 AM

After four grueling days and 15 votes, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is finally Speaker of the House - but not without having made a pile of concessions to a group of hard-line Republicans who think he'll be too accommodating to uniparty interests.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...ke-speakership

Quote:
The last vote came after a dramatic scene, where during the 14th vote Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) threw a wrench in the gears - voting 'present,' which left McCarthy just one vote short of victory.

During the final, 15th ballot, enough holdouts voted 'present' to bring the total required number of votes low enough for McCarthy to finally win around midnight.

Here's what McCarthy had to give up for the votes, according to The Epoch Times' Roger L. Simon, who interviewed first-year Congressman Andrew Ogles (R-TN), who has yet to be sworn in;

I spoke with Ogles by phone the night of Jan. 6, 2023, before the roll call vote during which, it was said, two of the remaining rejectionists who couldn’t accept McCarthy personally would absent themselves so that the magic number would be lowered and the new Speaker could go over the top.

Apropos, Ogles informed me that what many had guessed was true. His absence from voting in a previous round was also planned. He waited to see that all was going according to plan before stepping forward to flip his vote to McCarthy after the initial round.

For Ogles, the basis of all the negotiations was to establish the rules of the game in Congress that had been altered over the years beyond recognition. As he pointed out, the rules of a game almost always determine the winner.

He shared with me a list of some of what has been roughly negotiated to date. The devil, as always, is in the details.

As has been reported, it will only take a single congressperson, acting in what is known as a Jeffersonian Motion, to move to remove the Speaker if he or she goes back on their word or policy agenda.

A “Church” style committee will be convened to look into the weaponization of the FBI and other government organizations (presumably the CIA, the subject of the original Church Committee) against the American people.

Term limits will be put up for a vote.

Bills presented to Congress will be single subject, not omnibus with all the attendant earmarks, and there will be a 72-hour minimum period to read them.

The Texas Border Plan will be put before Congress. From The Hill: “The four-pronged plan aims to ‘Complete Physical Border Infrastructure,’ ‘Fix Border Enforcement Policies,’ ‘Enforce our Laws in the Interior’ and ‘Target Cartels & Criminal Organizations.'”

COVID mandates will be ended as will all funding for them, including so-called “emergency funding.”

Budget bills would stop the endless increases in the debt ceiling and hold the Senate accountable for the same.

In response to the outcome, Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), one of the holdouts, said in a statement that the anti-McCarthy Reps. "changed the way the government will be funded," and "changed the way committees will be formed."

"We secured votes on term limits, the fair tax, the Texas Border Plan, and so much more."

Bobert goes on to slam President Biden for calling the speakership process 'embarrassing for Republicans.

"How sad is it that us governing as the founders intended looks embarrassing to Democrats?" Bobert asked, adding "I'll tell you what's embarrassing. 40-year high inflation is embarrassing. 5 million illegals crossing our southern border is embarrassing/ Surrendering to ISIS and fleeing Afghanistan is embarrassing. Having a president that cant' finish his sentences is embarrassing."

It’s safe to say that we believe there ought to be specific, concrete limits on spending attached to a debt ceiling increase," said Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) on Thursday.

"There will be no clean debt ceiling increase, that’s for sure," said Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA), another anti-McCarthy lawmaker who was convinced to switch his vote due to the concessions.

Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA)
No word from Ogles on committee assignments or agreements, however there are discussions on positions for members of the Freedom Caucus.

Also no word on whether the House will hold a different kind of Jan. 6 investigation, unless it's going to be part of the new "Church" committee.

Meanwhile, The Hill notes that chairmanships on subcommittees are still going to need to be earned.

Another major concern for centrist Republicans throughout the week’s marathon negotiations was the conservatives’ push to win more subcommittee gavels for themselves — an idea that infuriated those already in line for those seats.

Bacon had called it “a non-starter,” particularly among the more moderate Republicans who have worked their way up the ladder into those seats.

“If you’re talking about chairmanships and things like that, they’re gonna have to still earn it,” Bacon said. “I call it affirmative action for [the] smallest of the caucuses to put them in leadership roles when they’ve not earned it. We believe in a merit-based system on the GOP side.”

Rep. Ann Wagner (R-Mo.), who has served in the House since 2013, also highlighted the “seniority process” for chairmanships.

“Everybody has to work their way through the seniority process and earn positions on both committees and gavels and things of that nature,” she said. -The Hill

"These concessions have been agreed to by our conference, and ultimately I believe it’s going to lead to a more people-driven legislative process," said Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA). "It’s about restoring more power and decision making to the members."

Democrat Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland says McCarthy gave up too much.

"I think he gave away much more than I wish he’d given," he said, adding "I think it does give to a small, willful faction of his caucus, a negative faction of his caucus, a faction of his caucus that has been almost uniformly obstructionist, more authority than they ought to have."

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote