SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-12, 10:05 AM   #736
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
Great news, TDW! Absolutely spectacular progress!

Yesterday I used your latest patcher, and it works perfectly, so I'm wondering if we will have to first disable all of the patches before applying the new one (once it comes out)? I know it says so on the first page, but just checking.
Hello Sartoris, Yes. You have to disable 'em.
Disable all patches from the old patcher. TDW told me an easy way to do this.
Go into one of the Patch files ex; TDW_SHCollisions_Patch.s5p , then right click on "Patches" the menu will ask Enable all patches/Disable all Patches.
It's the easy way to do the whole process in about a minute.
Cheers
D40
Old 08-07-12, 10:12 AM   #737
Kalleblom
Lieutenant

Downloads: 74

I didn´t tested the new patch. But about this info i thought, too.

Thx for that!

Edit:
I´ve forgotten one important thing

Great thx and all my respect to TDW for this work!

Last edited by Kalleblom; 08-07-12 at 10:56 AM.
Kalleblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 11:30 AM   #738
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
Go into one of the Patch files ex; TDW_SHCollisions_Patch.s5p , then right click on "Patches" the menu will ask Enable all patches/Disable all Patches.
Cheers
D40
Thank you!
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 11:35 AM   #739
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Quote:

x 100 !!!
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 12:16 PM   #740
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Cheers
D40
You can also do the same for each individual patch. Right click on it and select Enable/Disable all changes

I'm working on a new version of the patcher app coming with the next new patch (crew damage control). There are some things I need it to do that it currently doesn't do
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 12:30 PM   #741
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Like I said I have code in place that has the AI crew pumping out flood water. That code was just a theory to practice to ensure the idea/code was sound. Now being of sound nature I can add the changes necessary to make it complete.

Here's my thinking: The pumps onboard the units will be able to pump equivalent to 20-30% damage (a random function will determine the % on every frame update thus giving some randomness to the pump amount). This will allow a compartment to accumulate flood water (allbeit at a lower rate than it would without pumps) until the crew fixes the damage to the compartment. The damage to the compartment is used in the formula by the game to determine amount of flood water to add to the compartment per frame update (it's actually per flood water timer update which is set at 5 seconds by the game). If the flood water level is > 65% of the compartment the crew abandons trying to pump out the water and lets the compartment flood full (sealing it off from other compartments).

The crew will try and fix the damage to the compartment every frame update. A random function will determine whether they (crew AI) successfully decreases some damage to the compartment every frame update. If they are successfull then the max the crew can repair damage per frame is 0.003%. A random number will be generated (0-1.0 in value) and multiplied by 0.003 to get the amount of damage reduced in that frame update.

These changes will allow flood water to accumulate in the compartment if damage is > 20-30% (random number). Once the crew manages to get the damage to the compartment repaired to a level that the pumps can remove the water then the flood water level will decrease in that compartment. This all together will give a nice curve of flooding versus time (starts out high and exponentially decreases over time as crew repairs damage). Say the damage to the compartment is 55% and the game calculates that the flood water level increase in that timer update is 0.17. Since the pumps can remove 20-30% of the water I'll take 0.17 * ( 1 - 20-30% random number) to get the amount of flood water to add in that timer update. Same applies to if damage is say 12%. Since 12% is < 20-30% random number then I'll take whatever the game calculates as the flood water level increase and negate it and pass it onto the function to update compartment water level thus decreasing the water level in that compartment.

Now the game keeps track of the flood water level in the compartment at all times. Thus if the water level in the compartment gets to the water level at the hull flooding stops (as it should). This gives the crew the possibility of not exceeding the 65% damage threshold before having to quit trying to remove flood water.

If you have any ideas for this please speak up. We can make this do just about whatever we want it to do

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 08-07-12 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 01:04 PM   #742
NONONO
Seaman

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Like I said I have code in place that has the AI crew pumping out flood water. That code was just a theory to practice to ensure the idea/code was sound. Now being of sound nature I can add the changes necessary to make it complete.

Here's my thinking: The pumps onboard the units will be able to pump equivalent to 20-30% damage (a random function will determine the % on every frame update thus giving some randomness to the pump amount). This will allow a compartment to accumulate flood water (allbeit at a lower rate than it would without pumps) until the crew fixes the damage to the compartment. The damage to the compartment is used in the formula by the game to determine amount of flood water to add to the compartment per frame update (it's actually per flood water timer update which is set at 5 seconds by the game). If the flood water level is > 65% of the compartment the crew abandons trying to pump out the water and lets the compartment flood full (sealing it off from other compartments).

The crew will try and fix the damage to the compartment every frame update. A random function will determine whether they (crew AI) successfully decreases some damage to the compartment every frame update. If they are successfull then the max the crew can repair damage per frame is 0.003%. A random number will be generated (0-1.0 in value) and multiplied by 0.003 to get the amount of damage reduced in that frame update.

These changes will allow flood water to accumulate in the compartment if damage is > 20-30% (random number). Once the crew manages to get the damage to the compartment repaired to a level that the pumps can remove the water then the flood water level will decrease in that compartment. This all together will give a nice curve of flooding versus time (starts out high and exponentially decreases over time as crew repairs damage). Say the damage to the compartment is 55% and the game calculates that the flood water level increase in that timer update is 0.17. Since the pumps can remove 20-30% of the water I'll take 0.17 * ( 1 - 20-30% random number) to get the amount of flood water to add in that timer update. Same applies to if damage is say 12%. Since 12% is < 20-30% random number then I'll take whatever the game calculates as the flood water level increase and negate it and pass it onto the function to update compartment water level thus decreasing the water level in that compartment.

Now the game keeps track of the flood water level in the compartment at all times. Thus if the water level in the compartment gets to the water level at the hull flooding stops (as it should). This gives the crew the possibility of not exceeding the 65% damage threshold before having to quit trying to remove flood water.

If you have any ideas for this please speak up. We can make this do just about whatever we want it to do
possible to implement tools for fire management and
Allowable concentrations of toxic gases (harmful substances) in case of fire,
Effect of water temperature and air personnel,and when the sub sank from damage to the critical depth is not on the ground, the crew will try and fix the damage all try to come up with a lot of emergency submarine
NONONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 01:19 PM   #743
DelphiUniverse
中国水兵

Downloads: 125

The end patrol button not working (after every second patrol), is this something that you can work out in a future patch?
DelphiUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 01:40 PM   #744
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

This is for ships that we have attacked
Not our u-boats
Old 08-07-12, 01:46 PM   #745
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Thinking out loud...

What was the maximum water pumping rate for WWII bilge pumps? How were they powered? I guess the most likely answer is through ship's propulsion engines.

In this case pump's power should be a function of unit engine's max power, and consequantly a ship with her engines on flames shouldn't be able to manage her floodings at all.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 01:54 PM   #746
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Engine Room Flooding
In the case of engine room flooding; the level of the incoming seawater in the bilges must be controlled in order to prevent it reaching the main power generators. This would be catastrophic, leading to the loss of main power to pumps and the main engine.
If the torp hit the engine room - no pumping
Old 08-07-12, 03:29 PM   #747
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Thinking out loud...

What was the maximum water pumping rate for WWII bilge pumps? How were they powered? I guess the most likely answer is through ship's propulsion engines.

In this case pump's power should be a function of unit engine's max power, and consequantly a ship with her engines on flames shouldn't be able to manage her floodings at all.
Bilge pumps were electric.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 04:40 PM   #748
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Thank you for the link mookiemookie, good website that one

It refers to US subs drain system anyway. Indeed I can be wrong, but I doubt battery powered pumps could keep the pace with heavy floodings on larger ships.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 07:04 PM   #749
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:

It refers to US subs drain system anyway. Indeed I can be wrong, but I doubt battery powered pumps could keep the pace with heavy floodings on larger ships.
I come from a Navy background and our pumps were electrical in nature. We could rig emergency power if needed to power anything.

This is why I thought it was prudent to bring this into discussion. I want to implement something that is accurate (as much as possible) and also realistic

This AI crew damage control would only apply to AI units - not the player's sub. That means AI ships and subs and Aircraft. I can possibly filter out certain types if I can locate the pointer that points to the unit's type (i.e. 102, 104, 201, etc.). I have seen this pointer before now I just have to remember where I saw it!
Old 08-07-12, 09:18 PM   #750
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:

Well you were correct in a way - it was related to the diesel engines, as those were the dynamos for charging the batteries. But in any case, the bilge pumps were electrically operated on U-boats also - here's a description of how they rigged the U-505's bilge pumps to work without having engines or a full battery charge: http://uboat.net/forums/read.php?20,59020,59029

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote