Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-10, 11:42 PM   #16
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Superb preview Neal .

I have one question: is it possible to set a course manually to a specific heading as it was in sh1-sh4?
So far I've yet to see a way to input course or rudder angle apart from clicking on the minimap to change the heading.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 11:45 PM   #17
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos View Post
I recall in reading about the uniforms of the Uboat waffen that there was no "uniform" for on sea operations. In other words there was no one way for the crews of these boats to dress, when at sea.
That's my understanding as well...

Neal -- what can you do as far as upgrades? Can you upgrade sub systems like in the older games in the series?

Any hint of a 'fast dive deck?' I saw a picture of one for the 1st time not too long ago...wish I could remember where - because I have NEVER seen a picture of a U-Boat featuring anything even remotely like that before.
ThePinkSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 11:51 PM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Here's the reason as I understand it games get a patch on the first day it goes on sale: the game's development team has a ship date they are trying to make. Rarely if ever is a game on schedule and they can tie a nice bow on it and ship bugfree by the deadline. In most cases, they are behind schedule and putting in long hours to get everything working decently, trying to work out the major showstopper bugs first. When the day comes, they will put together a build and send it to be mastered. This gives them two more weeks before the game hits the stores to work on the game and that work gets to greet the game as patch 1. So, they know there are things that need attention, it's a matter of resources. If the game publisher thinks allocating more resources (people to work on it) for a 2nd and 3rd patch will keep sales coming in, they may elect to do that, support the game with another patch.

That's the way I understand it, there are folks here who know more about that end of the game biz than me.

A sub game: For the game publisher, it's a business decision. For the gamer, it's a consumer decision. For people like me who love all sub games, it's a necessity.
Old 02-21-10, 11:53 PM   #19
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Neal --

I know you can't be specific since you have the pre-release version (and that'd be unfair to down play a pre=release copy). But as far as initial bugs go -- are looking about the same as SH4 when it first came out?
Old 02-21-10, 11:57 PM   #20
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Neal and thanks. Was a good read! Like others here, I'm looking forward to your review with bated breath.
Old 02-22-10, 12:17 AM   #21
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

It will take a fair amount of love to nurse this baby - both from Ubi and community side... till it's first birthday.
But I'm afraid that one parent axed up the relationship into divorce...

Your preview needs no patches or moding...
Thanks Neal!

Adriatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 12:19 AM   #22
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Superb preview Neal .

I have one question: is it possible to set a course manually to a specific heading as it was in sh1-sh4?
So far I've yet to see a way to input course or rudder angle apart from clicking on the minimap to change the heading.
Yes, you are correct, there was no simple way to change course, such as a compass rose or rudder dial. You can change by moving the waypoints (which I forgot to mention, the waypoint system is well done.) or you can use Shift <-- or Shift --> for full rudder port and starboard, with 0 on the keypad to center amidships. Now, that may change in the final version, I don't know. That's why I don't mention those things specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePinkSubmarine View Post
That's my understanding as well...

Neal -- what can you do as far as upgrades? Can you upgrade sub systems like in the older games in the series?

Any hint of a 'fast dive deck?' I saw a picture of one for the 1st time not too long ago...wish I could remember where - because I have NEVER seen a picture of a U-Boat featuring anything even remotely like that before.

I know you can't be specific since you have the pre-release version (and that'd be unfair to down play a pre=release copy). But as far as initial bugs go -- are looking about the same as SH4 when it first came out?
No, in my version there was no commander's office with the screens for rewarding officers, changing men, and upgrading the sub. Again, that may be in the final version. These preview builds do not always have all the eventual items included.

As far as estimating the release game's quality based on the preview build, you're right, I am hesitant to do that. The release game + patch 1 could be a solid game, who knows? My build had its share of problems, I think it is detrimental to the core market segment (you) to paint a rosy picture when the reality may be grim. I've had a hunch the game was in trouble for months, based on the Ubisoft's maddening reluctance to allow access to the game as it developed. If I was going to guess, I would say we are more along the lines of Silent Hunter 2, in terms of quality and finish.

Yeah, I know.

But, have faith, because as clunky as SH2 was, most of the Subsim community bit the bullet and bought it, and made the best of it. And it sold well in the general market, too. I guess people were starved for some U-boat action, even if it had useless AI and a scripted campaign. Those sales became the reason Ubisoft greenlit another U-boat game, and we know what that was. So who knows, maybe SH5 will arrive in fairly good shape, maybe its casual gamer appeal will transate into big sales across the market segments. And maybe, just maybe, Ubisoft will follow through and deliver support. They did it in the past.

And yes, I will not argue that people should feel obligated to buy an unfinished game, or a game of poor quality. Let me get that in there before I get hit over the head with it It's your money, it's a free market, do as you wish. We have choices, pick some other high fidelity U-boat subsim. We still have SH3!

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 02-22-10 at 01:28 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 12:27 AM   #23
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Well you don't have to sell me Neal -- Although I'm sad to hear that; but that's always been UBI's problem.

I already bit the bullet and pre-ordered the game! I've never been a Type VII fan; but all I know -- is there's NO way BdU is sending me in the Med without a VIIC/41 with an anti-aircraft upgrade...too many Allied planes in that neck of the woods!
Old 02-22-10, 01:16 AM   #24
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Thank you for the preview, Neal. You answered many of my questions, and cemented many of my previously held beliefs regarding this game.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 01:31 AM   #25
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

thanks alot for that review
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 01:44 AM   #26
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

This was on my wishlist "Time compression includes a feature to let you ignore friendly vessel alerts, so in theory, you won't drop out of TC unless an enemy shows up. "
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 02:31 AM   #27
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Easily the most balanced, considered and informative SH5 preview I have read to date. Thanks Neal.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 02:36 AM   #28
Sgtmonkeynads
Ships Secretary

Downloads: 614

The Cook is the onlly Nazi on board.....Be nice to him, he's making your food.

Tell me Neal, how hard was it to NOT type.." or, No Soup For You !" I don't think I could have resisted the perfect set up for a Sienfeld joke of that calibur. Good preview review, gives me a different look at the whole game now and it will be better in a few months after being modded. But man what a canvas the guys have to work with this time. I can't wait for the future.
Old 02-22-10, 03:06 AM   #29
Buck_O
Helmsman

Downloads: 46

Thanks Neal, I agree with your opinion on the interface. Needs to have a more 1940's feel...mechanical....not modern computer..ish..
Buck_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 03:50 AM   #30
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Thanks for the preview.

After reading it, I must conclude that the action elements are shifted towards
interior and crew and moved away from manual navigation and targeting.
Am I correct with that?

Last edited by The Enigma; 02-22-10 at 04:02 AM.
The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote