SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-13, 05:18 PM   #136
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
M1 Procar is nice, will be interesting to see how it compares to rFactor.
Thta based on a screenshot of the instrument panel which looked like the one in the procar (I searched pics via google and compared, and to me they looked the same), however, simHQ's editor has corrected his equal assessemnt to BMW E30 DTM, and whether that is more correct I have no clue, since I have no photos to compare.

So, any of the two, but probably not both.
Old 12-19-13, 05:27 PM   #137
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
Well I bit the bullet and went for it. So now I just have to wait for the download to finish and get the settings all figured out and then I'm going to give it a try.
You will like physics and looks. However, many people complain about the physics, saying the cars are too stable and tend too much towards understeer. But there have been repeatedly now driver sin their forum who own the real cars and compared them to the sim, and who said the parallels are nothing but stunning. Whjat many people do not seem to take into account, I assume is that traction control and BS make a huge difference, also the setupos for the cars. The default setups are very much for neutrlaity and stability and towards understeering, yes. But change the tire pressure in the rear wheels then, increase negative camber and downforce - what I like about the sim very much is that such adjustments are making a real, noticable difference. For making the cars faster, you indeed have to change setups and leave the "safe" spce of values behind a bit.

TC and aBS do what they are meant to do, they prevent slippery and drifting, at leats make it very difficult to do so. On the other hand, some cars, like the MP4 especially, are designed to be driven with these assistances ON, not off. And then the car - criticized by many for being too sluggish and lame ion steering - bites the tarmac much better. In other cars, it is right the other way around, and you may want to prefer to leave both system switched OFF.

Experiment, test, change! It's really an experience to drive! And do not be surprised, missing con tent is coming every second Friday - and tomorrow it is upgrade time again, expect another download in the range of 0.7 - 1.5 GB, I estimate.
Old 12-19-13, 07:51 PM   #138
Skybird
Soaring

Ah, look what seems to be on order:

Old 12-19-13, 10:28 PM   #139
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Default Test run and a comparison to GTR Evo/Race 07

Ok I gave AC a try and overall I'm impressed. Most of the cars that I tried out so far are pretty good, although I don't have a lot of experience with Lotus, Ferrari, and Fiat. The Pagani Zonda R and the Formula Abarth handled exactly like I expected them to, sadly in the case of the Zonda there isn't a proper track for it yet. I must say though that I'm strangely addicted to drifting in the 500 Abarth, I've managed to get to level 6 so far before the clock ran out.

Comparison of Assetto Corsa to GTR Evo.

Graphics: AC does have much better graphics compared to GTR Evo. No lag, stutter, etc.
Control Setup: I would have to say that GTR Evo has a more streamlined and simple control setup, where as AC is a bit more complex and takes a bit more fine tuning.
Car handling: This is a really difficult one for me as the only two cars I can make a proper comparison with is the Pagani Zonda and the Formula Abarth, so I will edit this part when I've driven more similar cars.
Car Setup: Now this is one of the more important parts of these two games. In GTR Evo, there are three levels of ABS, traction control and stability help which are high, low and off. In AC it seems like the ABS and traction control can either be on or off and although I had the ABS turned off it still seemed to be on, as for stability help that can be changed at will.

As for being able to fine tune the cars that is something I need to experiment with some more, I have done some tinkering with fine tuning the gear ratio, tire pressure, roll cage weight and so on in GTR Evo but not so much yet in AC.
Old 12-20-13, 08:53 AM   #140
Skybird
Soaring

If you deactivate TC and ABS in general options, TC will be off in session, and ABS still will be on, where available. You can switch both on and off via Ctrl-T and Ctrl-A.

Note that some cars in reality are meant to be driven with ABS on, the MP4 for example - in reality you cannot switch off ABS.

A lot of taking corners and get the car to turn, is about competent weight transfer. It is difficult, and it should be.

There are some more undocumented (so far) features and functions. F11 for back mirror. a config tweak to allow developer apps, and allow having 3 wheels off the track before penalty is called (not ion practice). Note that ghost car so far is available in Hotlap mode, not in Free Practice. You can use Race Studio 2 Software by AIM to analyse the ingame physics variables of the car, lap for lap, in graphs (ingame options are uncomplete so far for doing that).

If you want to compare AC to something, do not compare to GTR Evo, but the real things:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...2&postcount=37

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/in...eal-life.2652/

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/in...feedback.3477/
Old 12-20-13, 11:26 AM   #141
Skybird
Soaring

Download of 0.4 has just begun. 990 MB.

Changelog v0.4

- New Special Events Mode with medals and achievements implemented – Shared memory struct updated
- Drag Race mode implemented
- Camera on board :: resets far plane
- Replay :: fixed leaderboard app in replay mode
- Fixed triple screen change gear animations going too fast
- Improved all change gear animations
- Screen capture (F8) allows to select screenshot between PNG,JPG,BMP – Time Attack checkpoints hidden in replays
- Mouse steering implemented
- Fixed Triple Screen in Track cameras (F3)
- Fixed large replay loading
- Camera Random (F2) improvements
- Fixed Tyre Tester app in replay mode

Cars

- Ferrari F40
- Ferrari 599XX EVO
- BMW Z4 GT3
- BMW M3 E30 TOURING

Tracks

- Autodromo di Monza
- Drag Strip

Let's wroam!
Old 12-21-13, 05:37 AM   #142
Skybird
Soaring

In their forum, a guy named Paul wrote this tip to tackle the exaggerated glossiness:

Quote:
If you want to make the cars less shiny then go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\c fg

find the dx11.ini

and change the SKYBOX_REFLECTION_GAIN.

As it is now the value is 3.25, I changed it to 0 and think it looks very nice, maybe something between 0 and 1 would be perfect.
The new Monza, modern version this type, looks very good, best representaiton of it I have ever seen in any sim.

The two new BMW are driving interestiung, with the Z4GT2 like a bullet on rails, and the Ferrari 599XX is a powerhouse on wheels for sure, again with fair handling. The F40 however is no fun to drive, as agile as a heavy brick resting deep in the sand.

What this drag racing stuff should serve for the sim, I have no clue of. Boring. Simply boring. Developing that was a waste of time, imo. But I already had a feeling about it, so I am not too surprised.
Old 12-22-13, 07:32 AM   #143
Skybird
Soaring

Finally ! I engraved a 1:49 into the tarmac at Imola in the 458.

Stage 3 458, that is. Stage 3 makes me 10 seconds faster over the standard model.

My official dream car in the sim now, handling: wonderful: speed: whooosh, grip: like on rails. And then the sound.

Thje glossiness tip works good, btw. Try a setting of 1.5 - 2.0, works great for me.

And the 599 seems to be equipped with kind of dirt shaders already?!
Old 12-22-13, 08:29 AM   #144
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Tried the 599 last night, very nice but it's definitely a traction control 'on' car. The F40 just needs tweaking to let it turn-in well. And the addition of some more achievements is welcome - and the drag least has AI opponents! What else, ah the Z4 GT2 is what original Z4 should've been like.

A good patch.
Old 12-22-13, 08:37 AM   #145
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Finally ! I engraved a 1:49 into the tarmac at Imola in the 458.

Stage 3 458, that is. Stage 3 makes me 10 seconds faster over the standard model.
Challenge accepted!

1:47.15

Lovely car to drive.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 06:44 PM   #146
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Bought the Scuderia edition of the F430 - this negates my need for space to attach a wheel to my desk. Collect tomorrow or the day after, then I'll be knocking on the door of your lap times.
Old 12-22-13, 08:29 PM   #147
Skybird
Soaring

That is that pad with a mini wheel, right? Santa was early this year!

Here is a leaked video that gives another example of the AI, a full lap at Mugello. It seems if all AI cars will drive like that, all is good ! I could honestly not say that that car was not driven by a human, including those small unpredictable imperfections. Possible that they set another exclamation mark with their AI. According to the options menu, AI will be scaled via a percentage slider from X to 100.

I would not mind if frames demand me to reduce the number of competitors to 6 or 8 cars per race, after all it was like that in the first Gran Turismo game, and it still was fun. Just in case frames go headdiving once the full race gets unleashed.

I just understood that modern Spa seems to come earlier than expected, within 1.0. I thought it was DLC together with the historical track. Nürburgring and Spa and Trento-Bondone and AI - oh so good things ahead for the forseeable future! I recently promoted AC officially to the ranks of "benchmark simulator".
Old 12-23-13, 05:16 AM   #148
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

That Ferrari F40 is a monster!

Very difficult to master, couldn't even get Bronze time on the special event at Mugello.

I tried +0.1 to front camber, +1 front toe and -0.1 rear camber. I think it made some difference, but still a beast to control with that turbo.

EDIT:

With Slicks -90's it's easier to drive.

Last edited by Lionclaw; 12-23-13 at 12:35 PM.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 12:49 PM   #149
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
That is that pad with a mini wheel, right? Santa was early this year!
No, it's marketed as a wireless cockpit, in essence though it's just pedals, wheel and a Ferrari coloured stand - all built-in together.

Old 12-23-13, 01:14 PM   #150
Skybird
Soaring

Brilliant! If the wheel is like the single F430 that I know, it is quality. The pedals look slightly different though. Tell us about stability of the construction.

Tomorrow, 24th, Kunos will make some announcement they have advertised since two weeks or so. Maybe a bagatelle, maybe a fresh surprise - who knows. Be sure to check into their forum or steam forum before heading for the christmas table.