SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-11, 02:17 PM   #1
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Default Mobo + CPU combos

First off, I blame everyone who participated in this thread.

I am looking right now at this combination for a possible upgrade.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...182&CatId=4297

What say you, oh resident Subsim technical advisors?

Not necessarily buying from there, I haven't checked prices everywhere yet. But at first glance the price looks okay, and it has all the slots I need for the stuff I have plus another gfx card if I want to do that (AND YOU KNOW I DO) and they all appear to be in places which will allow me to use the stuff I've already got.

Gots plenty of USB connectors for peripherals, an eSata connector for my external drive, and I assume there will be no problems hooking up two internal HDDs and two DVD drives.

I will probably get a slightly larger case as I have a... mini-tower (?) now. Anyway, next size up is a mid-tower and I've been looking at some that will take an ATX board and give me a little more tinkering room inside, but are not too big too fit the space I've got which is non-negotiable.

Also I will have to upgrade to DDR3 RAM but RAM's relatively cheap and it's not like I need to have this up and running ASAP. Just looking for a good place to start.

And I'll need a new power supply so wattage recommendations, kind sirs. Will probably get another Radeon HD 5770 if/when I get a second gfx card. IIRC at least 600w is required for two of them running in tandem.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 02:22 PM   #2
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

That is close to what i have I also have the coolermaster tower think it was on sale at the time at 149.00 I think what you have picked out will work fine.I'm sure you will hear more.
Old 05-26-11, 02:34 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I'd like you to check all of this out. And I wouldn't start out with anything less than a 750 watt psu.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ndle&x=14&y=17

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 02:42 PM   #4
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

@ Firewall: yep, I've been looking at Amazon. But so far I haven't seen prices there for the mobo and CPU that amount to less than the bundle at Tiger Direct.

Looking at NewEgg now, they have that mobo as an open box item for $70 and the Phenom II x4 965 Black 3.4 GHz for $120 with a promo code good through the end of the month. That's the same price as the combo with the 955 3.2 GHz CPU at TigerDirect. Don't know about the open box thing though, I always worry about that when buying online.
Old 05-26-11, 04:10 PM   #5
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Fran sorry to burst your bubble but you should know that all this latest hardware is NOT going to make Silent Hunter III look as good as Silent Hunter 5. Sorry...

Though I'm curious why the kickass PC, what other games do you play beside SH or are you looking at getting into 3dstudio max or something. Anyways the higher the hw the better 750watt sounds right, Radeon HD 5770 (wow!) Im running a pesky 9800GT works fine for all latest games so far. 2 HD 5770 will cream everything thrown at it imo.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 04:19 PM   #6
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Eh, I dunno, I'm just in the mood.

I've always intended to build my own system more or less from scratch, and I've finally gotten to the point where I feel like I know enough to do it, with a little help.
Old 05-26-11, 04:28 PM   #7
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Eh, I dunno, I'm just in the mood.

I've always intended to build my own system more or less from scratch, and I've finally gotten to the point where I feel like I know enough to do it, with a little help.
Good luck. I usually do the same but this time round I had the tech build it. It was coming up christmas holidays I couldn't wait any longer I had to have the PC now! Only work I did on it was installed window 7 and software = 6 games I had got the day before.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 01:24 AM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Don't know about the open box thing though, I always worry about that when buying online.
I suppose that's a legitimate worry, but my current graphics card was purchased as an Open-Box from NewEgg, and I've had no complaints at all. On the other hand I don't know anything, so maybe I was just lucky.
Old 05-27-11, 03:26 AM   #9
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

so one 5770 wasn't enough?

Don't worry about the build - since you've aimed for an Asus board, you'll be pleased with the great manual. An excellent step-by-step guide!

And of course you have us!

And forget the silly ground strap... just touch the case, use common sense and don't touch connectors or components.

The 955 and 965 are the same CPU. AMD overclocked the 955 for you for the extra $20 and named it 965... your choice.
If choosing 955, make sure it's a rev. c3 but I would probably go for 965 too.

750W PSU is way - way! - more than adequate! What do you have now? If more than 450W, I would keep that for a while...
Don't know if you've already settled for one, but I can highly recommend Fractal Design. Cheap and very, very good.

But how did the 5770 perform for you?

/edit: btw. your board will need both power connectors to be connected. 4-pin ATX and 24-pin ATX.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 07:56 AM   #10
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
750W PSU is way - way! - more than adequate!
Said he, who just found this landed on the carpet!

Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 08:28 AM   #11
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I suppose that's a legitimate worry, but my current graphics card was purchased as an Open-Box from NewEgg, and I've had no complaints at all. On the other hand I don't know anything, so maybe I was just lucky.
It would probably be fine, they just won't guarantee the presence of any of the "accessories" that you'd get with a new item. Anyway I got it new for only about $10 more (after rebate) from somewhere else.

Quote:
so one 5770 wasn't enough?
It probably is, but with the new mobo at least I'll have the option of a second card. Who knows, by the time I get around to it, the price on the 5870 may have dropped.

Quote:
But how did the 5770 perform for you?
Loading SH3+GWX3+10 gazillion mods with new card...

Still loading...

Still loading...

Aaaaaand still loading...

Almost there...

Okay, Wilhelmshaven, here I come...

Looks around harbor...

Quote:
Don't worry about the build - since you've aimed for an Asus board, you'll be pleased with the great manual. An excellent step-by-step guide!

And of course you have us!

Right now I'm looking at the first week of September to get it up and running, since I'll have a week off work then and plenty of time to tinker/re-tinker/throw things/learn exciting new curse words/tear my hair out.

Plus that will give me time to consider, compare and acquire whatever else I'm gonna need. If I get there sooner, fine, but that's what I'm shooting for.

Quote:
And forget the silly ground strap... just touch the case, use common sense and don't touch connectors or components.
That's what I've always done, and I've never been shocked or fried a component.

Quote:
The 955 and 965 are the same CPU. AMD overclocked the 955 for you for the extra $20 and named it 965... your choice.
If choosing 955, make sure it's a rev. c3 but I would probably go for 965 too.
Newegg has the 965 for the same price as the 955 with a promo code through 5/31.

Quote:
750W PSU is way - way! - more than adequate! What do you have now? If more than 450W, I would keep that for a while...
Don't know if you've already settled for one, but I can highly recommend Fractal Design. Cheap and very, very good.
500W, it's the one that came with the rig when I bought it. Have never looked up anything else about it so I don't know whether it's from a "quality" manufacturer or not. Given that it was included in a pre-built system, I'm guessing not.

Much will depend on what else ends up going into the new build, so the PSU will most likely be the last thing I look at, unless I come across some incredible deal on a really nice one that looks like a good longterm investment.

Quote:
/edit: btw. your board will need both power connectors to be connected. 4-pin ATX and 24-pin ATX.

Maybe I should look for a Building PCs For Dummies book.
Old 05-27-11, 10:23 AM   #12
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Don't know if you've already settled for one, but I can highly recommend Fractal Design.
Are they sold under a different name in North America? The web site only lists two retailers over here, and neither one seems to have their PSUs. Cases yes, PSUs no.
Old 05-26-11, 02:35 PM   #13
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

Quote:
First off, I blame everyone who participated in this thread.

Gots plenty of USB connectors for peripherals, an eSata connector for my external drive, and I assume there will be no problems hooking up two internal HDDs and two DVD drives.

And I'll need a new power supply so wattage recommendations, kind sirs. Will probably get another Radeon HD 5770 if/when I get a second gfx card. IIRC at least 600w is required for two of them running in tandem.
Regarding all the drives and discs and two video cards, make sure to get a good, stable and quiet power supply. I would take 750 W to be on the safe side.

Edit: That processor is in my "physical" shop next door 120,- EURO without Mainboard, which is 101,- EURO. So we are much more expensive here in Germany

Last edited by danasan; 05-26-11 at 02:54 PM.
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote