SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-12, 09:54 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Not being a snot, but my wife got the new I phone. After the contract and accessories it costs 600$ (and a little more)
It does less than my 200$ android phone. Which is mid range.

What is the allure, that makes people wait on line overnite for this crap?

I pay 35$ a month. With no 2 year contract.

Is it some kind of social status thing?

I do not get it, and I am not an apple trasher, but I am not impressed. 600 for what my 200$ phone does faster. with no contract.

I hope no one here is as stupid as we were...I am warning you now, it is pure crap for the price paid.

Ok, what is your phone and who do you pay $35 a month to? I am due to swith carriers, what plan are you on?

Nothing against iphones here, they work and are dominant, so like the VHS and Blueray, I like to fall in line with a winner. But I would be open to droid phones if I was fairly sure one work suit me.

thanks

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 09-30-12 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 02:06 AM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Iphones are not actually dominant, I belive Android has taken the no 1 spot.
In tougher economic times, people what a good deal
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 04:38 AM   #3
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
The iPod is hands down one kick butt music player. Nothing better IMO.
Well AVG that's why I have an iphone, it's still the best phone for music playback-and I would not want to carry two devices-although if I still had my feature phone I would get an ipod. Same logic that I like games and prefer an all in one device. Or you could get an ipod touch and have games, some internet connection when on wifi and music. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
If i had the time, Id head down to the Apple store to walk up and down the Iphone 5 queue with my tounge stuck under my bottom lip making a long UNNGGHH! sound, because that is a pretty accurate description of what they are doing....queuing for days... to pay silly money.... for a phone...thats a little bit better than the one they currently have.

Or maybe i would just give them a clap, because that level of materialistic idiocy almost deserves a round of applause!
Oh come on JU, yes it's silly to upgrade every year or possibly every two years yes. I would disagree that the iphone 5 is an insignificant upgrade. Maybe from a 4s but a huge difference speed wise with my 4 or your 3gs. Plus a much nicer screen (not just size), a much better camera and LTE if you want that. for me, the memory uograde to 64 GB would be worth it-games like WOTA and the Infinity Blade series need tons of space.

Anyhow here is a fair review of the 5 (even if on an Apple site):

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...6gb-32gb-64gb/

You said it yourself gaming is one of the iphone's big advantages-as we know from our beloved subsims you more or less have to upgrade to play the latest games. I lasted 8 years (!) on my previous computer before upgrading in 2010, believe me my SH3-GWX and il2-1946 were suffering at the end. The line ups are a bit silly though.

As for other platforms, if I had to choose it would be windows phone. Seriously except for the relative lack of apps a very nice phone and the Nokia hardware is also very nice.

I actually am disliking Android more and more, partly because of the reasons mentioned above such as lack of comprehensive updates etc. I also have a distrust of Google, I know Apple have taken a lot of deserved flak lately, but except for gmail and google earth I have been trying to get away from google. I use Duck Duck Go for search and actually would like to see some viable alternatives for google maps (yes Apple ain't there yet but there are plenty of alternatives). I just don't like one company getting hold of so much info and see Android as just another conduit to info gathering. The main thing are the fans though, I don't see these mythical Apple fanatics online or in real life anymore but the Andorid fans are extremely aggresive, they've become the new Apple fans. Even here every time there is a post about a new game for ios (like WOTA or Pacfic Fleet) you cna be sure to get someone posting "nice game but too bad Apple sux", I find it amusing really.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 04:58 AM   #4
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Apple fanatics do indeed still exist, they camp out side Apple stores just so they can be the first to get iphone5, - that is really stupid, Im sorry.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 05:51 AM   #5
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post
…I would disagree that the iphone 5 is an insignificant upgrade. Maybe from a 4s but a huge difference speed wise with my 4 or your 3gs. Plus a much nicer screen (not just size), a much better camera and LTE if you want that. for me, the memory uograde to 64 GB would be worth it-games like WOTA and the Infinity Blade series need tons of space.…
Yes, the iPhone 5 rocks from its specs compared to its predecessors.
The GPU of the iPad 1 and iPhone/iPod touch 4 is too slow for the number of pixels on the screen. It's the same GPU that the 3GS uses. During the last two years this was always a problem for me (developing games).
When I started with the new Seehund midget submarine version of WOTA I've made a completely new water for the game. Now WOTA is really CPU bound on the 3GS, on the iPad 1 it still suffers from pixel fill rate problems due to the underpowered GPU. When it comes to gaming iPad 2 and 4S are great devices WOTA runs at 60fps with additional eyecandy on them.

Because of the CPU problems on the 3GS I've compared CPU benchmarks of all iOS devices to find out what extras will be possible on which device (I just can't afford to buy them all and the low end devices are most important for testing anyway)

The iPhone 5 is extremely fast! It's a HUGE difference and this difference is huge compared to the 4S, actually when it comes to CPU and memory performance the difference between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4S is larger than the difference between the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 3GS! Calling the iPhone 5 an insignificant upgrade is just wrong - the iPhone 4 was an insignificant upgrade:

iPhone 5 compared to iPhone 4S:

integer performance: 2.26 times faster
floating point performance: 2.83 times faster
memory performance: 2.49 times faster
memory stream performance: 3.17 times faster

iPhone 4S compared to iPhone 3GS:
integer performance: 2.47 times faster
floating point performance: 2.64 times faster
memory performance: 1.68 times faster
memory stream performance: 1.33 times faster

iPhone 4S compared to iPhone 4:
integer performance: 1.92 times faster
floating point performance: 2.03 times faster
memory performance: 1.26 times faster
memory stream performance: 1.05 times faster

iPhone 4 compared to iPhone 3GS:
integer performance: 1.29 times faster
floating point performance: 1.29 times faster
memory performance: 1.68 times faster
memory stream performance: 1.33 times faster

Also the 3 core GPU is a good upgrade compared to the 4S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post

I do not get it, and I am not an apple trasher, but I am not impressed. 600 for what my 200$ phone does faster. with no contract.

I hope no one here is as stupid as we were...I am warning you now, it is pure crap for the price paid.
My two cents {

You get the iPhone 5 starting at 1,- EUR with a contract (in germany).

Currently the iPhone 5 is the fastest smartphone on the market, as usual this will change within the year. The pricing of the comparable android high end smartphones is almost identical. It might be a bad buy next summer but currently it is not… except that 600 EUR for a phone (without contract) might be a bit crazy anyway.

But compared to android you will have some advantages:

1. free unexpected adventures due to the new map app
2. almost no risk to install malware apps
3. more apps and games
4. This is the SUBSIM forum - well... WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163753

I see this android vs iOS thing from a developers point of view:

There are more android phones (68%) out there than iOS phones (17%) but the statistics show that 63.48% of the mobile internet accesses comes from iOS devices (android = 22.1% - I'll guess the iPod touch is included in the statistics) - so it seems that iOS devices are more in use than android devices. Maybe a lot of people who don't really need a smartphone just take one for $1,- with their contract but never use it except for phoning?

Same for sales numbers of Apps. Most developers sell 10 times more per app on the iOS app store than on all android markets combined. And the pirated to sale ratio on iOS is already pretty high at about 95:1 - unless you are in the top 1000 you will sell exactly: nothing, ZERO - yes more than 649,000 apps have 0 sales a day - to make any money that will at least pay your time of development you will have to reach the top 300 of games in the USA and stay there for a long time - a highly competitive market with dumping prices, rude customer reviews and on android it is even worse because sales are lower.

It's terrible to try to support all the different android devices, GPUs, screen sizes, Systems etc. - you will end up with ten times the hassle and bad reviews for 1/10 of the generated income.

That's why WOTA for android will come out after a Mac & PC release. and why I would always recommend iOS. ;-) But it's a biased view and someone who just needs a phone with mobile browser, email app, maps etc. might be as happy as an iPhone customer. But I doubt those kind of people would ever seriously debate about android vs iOS. It's almost the same old boring war like Mac vs PC.

}

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 06:49 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I like Samsung Products
Old 10-04-12, 09:45 AM   #7
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Aye it's a great brand when it comes to mobile phones and TV/Monitors.

HunterICX
Old 10-04-12, 10:18 AM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Aye it's a great brand when it comes to mobile phones and TV/Monitors.

HunterICX
Yep, I've got both. The only downside is a dead thunderfly in the lower left of the monitor.
Old 10-05-12, 05:34 AM   #9
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

iPhone 4 here, quite happy with it and actually like the Apple ecosystem-at least for music/apps. While I like the "smartphone" part of it, it also has allowed me to skip getting an ipod and a mobile gaming system (can't replace PC gaming of course but the quality of many ios games has actually surprised me).

Just a bit tired of "phone wars" though.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 12:45 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post

Just a bit tired of "phone wars" though.
Oh, that is snothing, just wait for Windows 8 - MS obviously tries to change the game for PCs as well and turn the Windows PC into a closed system like Apple and its depending iUniverse.

Background: if MS succeeds and people tolerate W8, it will spell agony for games on PCs, but maybe will bring Linux the long awaited breakthrough not only on servers, but home PCs as well. Steam starts to develope for Linux now, in reaction to W8. The Minecraft developer has refused a MS request to let his game being licensed for W8. I hope more game studios and developers do like this. Business is not eager to buy W8 either, since they have longer updating cycles for basic software, than private households. If now gamers could be sensible enough for the future of gaming, and boycott W8 as well, then there is hope that the PC will remain to be a free gaming platform for some years longer. Windows 8 must fail - we cannot afford to let it become a success for MS. It would kill the PC as we know it. Turning the PC into a closed universe like Apple is the real drive behind Microsoft pushing tablets and W8 Metro. The latter are only baits to soften up resistance to their real ambition.

The more costly a W8 debacle for MS becomes, the better.
Old 10-04-12, 10:44 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I like Samsung Products
Yes. My mother's notebook, my own TV and cellphone are Samsungs. All run flawless, are well manufactured, and produce good quality in what they do.

A rubyred E1150 on my side. Enduring battery. Simple. Good. Elegant. And almost always switched off, which is the best feature it has. The only thing I hate more than needing to call somebody, is to get called.

If I would win a smartphone plus free treaty, I would sell it immediately.
Old 10-04-12, 06:21 PM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Jeesh, Sky. That sounds pretty anti-social
Old 10-04-12, 06:46 PM   #13
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

How to make friends and influence people!
Old 10-04-12, 06:58 PM   #14
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Since my first post in this thread I've got two cell phones

the first was Sony Ericsson W395 Had that one for about a year.

About 6 month ago I got a

HTC Wildfire S

I'm very pleased it works great.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 12:35 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
How to make friends and influence people!
Either by talking vis-a-vis or by spending the time to write a letter instead of doing a quickie by hitting the "I like" button or by throwing in a 3 seconds-tweet...?

Tags
mobile, phone