Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Thanks, CW... that's the plan
Old 10-19-20, 09:56 AM   #3347
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

The job interview just went down the toilet: our GP advises that we should all self-isolate for the 14 days. I have to say that this makes sense, since Moira or myself could conceivably carry the virus out into the community from an as yet a-symptomatic Bubs (our nickname for the boy)

We had wondered why we were allowed to go out when we read the guidelines... but I think the government are still trying to steer a middle-path, protecting society from known carriers but allowing the rest of us to carry on supporting the economy

It makes things simpler, hygiene-wise, but I now have to miss a promising job interview AND another PSA blood test because of Covid; that test was scheduled for tomorrow, which was why I was contacting them today

Edit: I just got an email saying they'll see me in 2 weeks... this now starts to look a bit too good to be true, or am I just an old cynic?

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 10-19-20 at 10:33 AM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-20, 10:51 AM   #3348
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

a misanthropic ol' cynic. Did I miss something? Is the lad tested positive or known to have been exposed to Covid?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-19-20 at 11:41 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-20, 11:42 AM   #3349
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
The job interview just went down the toilet: our GP advises that we should all self-isolate for the 14 days. I have to say that this makes sense, since Moira or myself could conceivably carry the virus out into the community from an as yet a-symptomatic Bubs (our nickname for the boy)

We had wondered why we were allowed to go out when we read the guidelines... but I think the government are still trying to steer a middle-path, protecting society from known carriers but allowing the rest of us to carry on supporting the economy

It makes things simpler, hygiene-wise, but I now have to miss a promising job interview AND another PSA blood test because of Covid; that test was scheduled for tomorrow, which was why I was contacting them today

Edit: I just got an email saying they'll see me in 2 weeks... this now starts to look a bit too good to be true, or am I just an old cynic?
Tough times atm Glynn but all the best

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-20, 12:08 PM   #3350
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
a misanthropic ol' cynic. Did I miss something? Is the lad tested positive or known to have been exposed to Covid?
Known to have been exposed; you can only get a test over here if you've got the symptoms, otherwise you just have to wait and see
Old 10-19-20, 09:36 PM   #3351
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Known to have been exposed; you can only get a test over here if you've got the symptoms, otherwise you just have to wait and see
getting "sent to the spare room" is suddenly "de rigeuer"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 10-20-20, 07:20 AM   #3352
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:

As Jim already said, Tough times right now because of Covid but I'm sure things will get better. Stay tough.

All the best, Eichhörnchen
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 08:37 PM   #3353
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon12 The art of self medication

Onkel Neal, having conveniently shut down the site for maintenance, I spent three hours in a dental chair getting old 1960's mercury/amalgam fillings replaced; three 55+ year-old fillings with new, 21st century ceramic stuff... the left side of my head is pretty sore, but being attended to by a hearty 4oz. purely medicinal vodka gimlet to dull the post-novacaine pain. The right side is next week.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-22-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 10:43 PM   #3354
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

That stuff is poison (mercury/amalgam fillings)

Don't ask me how I know

You will feel better Aktung ... it may even change your personality

Not that we don't like you the way you are
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 11:19 PM   #3355
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
T

You will feel better Aktung ... it may even change your personality

Not that we don't like you the way you are
God! my long sufferin' bride hopes yer right too!

Old 10-23-20, 03:10 AM   #3356
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

In the process of taking up the landing and stairs carpet in preparation for the delivery and fitting of a replacement tomorrow whilst at the same time trying to ignore the pleas of my aching back who is repeatedly warning me I am too old and out of condition for this sort of stupidity these days.

Old 10-23-20, 04:15 AM   #3357
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
remember, you're 60 somthing; but your old back (and pancreas) is probably 70 somthing...you'll need a good warehouseman's velcro back support! Are you(will U B) covered under their workplace insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
In the process of taking up the landing and stairs carpet in preparation for the delivery and fitting of a replacement tomorrow whilst at the same time trying to ignore the pleas of my aching back who is repeatedly warning me I am too old and out of condition for this sort of stupidity these days.
My case-in-chiefI'm up late; my 69 year-old jaw is killing me after the dentist's work.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-23-20 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-23-20, 05:40 AM   #3358
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default "Hello?? Where's my milk?"

I just answered a call on our landline (we hardly ever use that phone) and what happened next was like something out of a Will Hay movie: an old lady with a thick Yorkshire accent told me that I hadn't left her any milk when she should have had two pints, and that I'd gone and left her brother "Two pints when he only has one", and that it was "Full-cream when it should've been skimmed"

I said I was sorry to hear all that but that I wasn't her milkman and this was a private number

She wanted the number so of course I gave it. "Is that all of it?" she asked

"Well there's the area code", I said... "That's 01205... why... where do you live, then?"

"Martin" she said

"Where's that?"

"Between Lincoln and Sleaford", she said

"Well why are you ringing me... I live near Boston"

"Because I haven't got any milk", she said

"Well I can't help you... you need to ring your milk company; who are they?"

"Capital Dairies", she said

I gave her the Directory Enquiries number and told her not to let them connect her or it would cost more... she must write it down and tell them she wants to ring it later

I hope she rings back because it's made my day
Old 10-23-20, 11:14 AM   #3359
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
remember, you're 60 somthing; but your old back (and pancreas) is probably 70 somthing...you'll need a good warehouseman's velcro back support! Are you(will U B) covered under their workplace insurance?
Forgot to ask that

I told them my availability was 9am-3pm Monday and Tuesday and they said the other guys were 9am-5pm and might object to someone getting an early finish.

My response was 'So volunteers run the business then and not management?'

I thought that was me blown out as she went to the phone to speak to higher management but returned after five minutes and said 'How about customer advisor and a few other tasks where and when required?'

I responded 'I'll do a Tuesday then and see how it goes. See if we are both happy with each other'

She agreed and when I informed the wife she said 'Do you not think you were a little cheeky?'

I responded 'When you're prepared to do something for a business for absolutely nowt you should always try to ensure it is on your terms'

Probably get a phone call before Tuesday telling me the vacancy is no longer available

Old 10-24-20, 11:27 AM   #3360
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
She agreed and when I informed the wife she said 'Do you not think you were a little cheeky?
Nah! Just 'police barracks humor', as a "cheeky sod" in my own right. I'm enjoying The Enemy Below over coffee, yogurt and reading my WSJ. A true morning!