Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-20, 01:21 PM   #1
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Who Would Win? Komodo or Croc?

I would never advocate doing this of course, but I was wondering which of these fearsome animals would be likeliest to win a fight... Komodo Dragon or a Nile Crocodile?

They would have to be of equal weight or size, starved for a week, then shown pictures of Dick Van Dyke just before they went in

Who do you reckon would win?
Old 02-15-20, 01:42 PM   #2
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Isn't there a YouTube video about it?
Old 02-15-20, 01:45 PM   #3
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I don't know. And I don't know that I'd want to see it. Well maybe
Old 02-15-20, 02:00 PM   #4
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

I have no idea which beast would win. Croc has its massive bite force and Komodo dragon is kinda venomous.

Komodo Dragon lives in SE Asia where can also be found saltwater crocodiles. Do they ever come face to face with each other?
Old 02-15-20, 02:44 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I made a search for this

Komodo Dragon versus Crocodile

And here is what it says in the

"People ask"
"Can a Komodo dragon kill a crocodile?"

Quote:
A Komodo dragon wouldn't have a chance against, say, an adult saltwater crocodile, but it could easily take down an adult dwarf crocodile. The K.D. has bacterial poison in its mouth and it's supposed to kill the prey with only one bite
Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 03:39 PM   #6
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

depends on the fight rules

Prison rules Id go with kamodo dragon.
Unified martial arts rules croc will win it every time

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 03:59 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

And here I thought this were another chess thread...
Old 02-15-20, 04:22 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

the 4!000 lb. croc would win. The ''somewhat' venomous komdo monitor probably could'nt get its teeth thru the croc's hide.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 04:47 PM   #9
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I'd say it depends on the specifics.
Is the Komodo one that got nuclear fall out and became GODZILLA like?
Has the Croc suffered from a long swim and is weakened?
What are the weight classes?
Old 02-15-20, 05:26 PM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I think Aktung has the right of it: the dragon would need to quickly get a bite of a soft underpart... then retreat and let the poison work

There'd be no mileage in a close up brawl... I just don't think these two animals would know how to fight one another... chalk and cheese... although once the croc got a hold then it would just spin and tear, maybe even get a hold of the throat and suffocate it

My money's on the croc
Old 02-15-20, 10:13 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I'd say it depends on the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I think Aktung has the right of it: the dragon would need to quickly get a bite of a soft underpart... then retreat and let the poison work

There'd be no mileage in a close up brawl... I just don't think these two animals would know how to fight one another... chalk and cheese... although once the croc got a hold then it would just spin and tear, maybe even get a hold of the throat and suffocate it

My money's on the croc
there are no 'specifics'; the adult croc like the great white is simply a top-end predator without competitors. (Actually not true: a great white was caught on video being chomped in half by a killer whale for its liver! )Crocs tend to chomp, drown, and store in a nearby riverbank den till it rots for easy dining(aged beef!?) And crocs can out run a horse fo the first hundred yards or so!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-15-20, 10:30 PM   #12
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Is the Komodo one that got nuclear fall out and became GODZILLA like?
This for sure!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 02:12 PM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Aktung for the win.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 08:07 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 it's ajungle out there!

2017 was good year for Nile crocodiles! 1.
Quote:
Like Henry Stanley and David Livingstone more than a century ago, they set off into the jungle on the Lukuga River in the Congo.On Dec. 7, after a night of heavy rainfall, they started out at first light, stopping mid-morning to eat. Then they ventured on, spotting a few small crocodiles along the way.
After several hours, they passed through their last rapids on the Lukuga River. Before them stretched 100 miles of flat water. Still, they never let up their guard, paddling their three kayaks in tight, defensive formation so they would look like one big creature to a predator.
Coetzee was in the middle. Korbulic was on his right side and Stookesberry paddled a little ahead on the left. Korbulic kept glancing at Coetzee, making sure they were staying close.
Then death struck.
"I looked over and caught this croc coming up and grabbing onto Hendri," Korbulic said. He only saw a flash of giant jaws.
"There was no sound," he said. "It was fast and smooth. Hendri did say something but I was totally consumed with what I was seeing."
What Coetzee yelled, Stookesberry said, was "Oh, my God."
Coetzee's kayak turned over, there was a struggle then it tipped right side up empty. Coetzee was the ninth person killed by a crocodile in the past few years, Stookesberry said, and the villagers were terrified of the river.
Quote:
DNA tests on the carcass of a crocodile shot in Zimbabwe have confirmed that it contains the remains of a missing South African hunter, an investigator has told the BBC.
Scott Van Zyl was killed last week on the banks of the Limpopo river, said Sakkie Louwrens, director of a South-African crime-fighting NGO.
He said Mr Van Zyl disappeared during a hunting safari last week.
His death is the latest in a series of fatal crocodile attacks in Zimbabwe.
Mr Louwrens told the BBC that Mr Van Zyl had gone on a hunting trip on the Zimbabwe-South Africa border with a local tracker and a pack of dogs. At least four fatal attacks by crocodiles have been reported in Zimbabwe this year..
Quote:
Cape Town - The death of a loved and respected guide at Le Bonheur Crocodile Farm in the Western Cape sent shock waves through South Africa over the past weekend.
According to News24, Johan Burger's body had to be retrieved from one of the farm's crocodile pools, which he had helped designed at the end of 2015.
Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk told News24 that workers arriving for their shift came across his body around 08:50.

An inquest was opened into the circumstances surrounding Burger's death, Van Wyk said.
Following Burger's death, the crocodile farm says the croc pond tours have been suspended until Saturday, 21 January, while other activities on the farm remain operational.
There is no doubt that the tour is a thrilling one. And some would even argue that the tours and interaction stimulates and advocates education about crocodiles to the general public.
But what's the real message these tours are sending to the public?
In a natural environment, handling baby crocodiles and getting within centimetres of croc-infested waters - or feeding crocodiles - would be unthinkable. But yet, in man-made, enclosed environments, common sense, nature's laws and natural hierarchy are the first to go out the door.
bottomline: crocs win against supposedly seasoned professionals and are three for three with 'collateral' native damage...to quote a late famous TV naturalist: CRIKEY! At least four fatal attacks by crocodiles have been reported in Zimbabwe this year. ... and they're not the big problem!
Quote:
Despite being vegetarian, hippos are considered the most dangerous terrestrial animal on the African continent. On average, they are responsible for the deaths of almost 3,000 humans every year.
Male hippos are exceptionally territorial and will actively defend their section of river or lake from perceived intruders. Females will attack any animal that comes between them and their offspring.

Hippos can run at speeds of over 30 km/ph on land and may weigh over 3,300 lb/ 1,500 kg. A male hippo's canine teeth can exceed 20"/ 50 cm.

I think I'll just stick to what I know...scuba diving in Monterey Bay at night with normal old great white sharks

Old 02-18-20, 12:13 PM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

So this thread is not about a Bruce Lee movie?