SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-20, 07:11 PM   #136
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

^ Hmm... an interesting idea: to embrace the incomers. At the moment, plants and animals that make incursions from outside are all too often labelled as "alien" species, to be eradicated
Old 08-09-20, 07:53 PM   #137
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

You've been voted top contributor to this thread Eichhörnchen

Get you badge now

Oh wait a minute you already have one

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 10:48 PM   #138
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Lorikeets want equal time.

These little guys - Lorikeets - are VERY feisty for their size. Friendly - not tame - but will sit on your shoulder and arms and walk around with you.

But will bully the Cockatoos and steal their bread.

The Cockatoos are 2 flocks. One City flock that's been here for like forever, and a wild flock that flew in from the inland about a year ago. The local ones are very friendly ( again not tame but trusting and good judges of human character ) will sit on your head!!! arms and shoulders and walk around with you. The wild ones are potentially dangerous and can take a finger off if you're not careful.

The young ladies downstairs feed them morning and night and have great fun doing so. Maybe photos later.

Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 04:20 AM   #139
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
Lorikeets want equal time.

These little guys - Lorikeets - are VERY feisty for their size. Friendly - not tame - but will sit on your shoulder and arms and walk around with you.

But will bully the Cockatoos and steal their bread.

The Cockatoos are 2 flocks. One City flock that's been here for like forever, and a wild flock that flew in from the inland about a year ago. The local ones are very friendly ( again not tame but trusting and good judges of human character ) will sit on your head!!! arms and shoulders and walk around with you. The wild ones are potentially dangerous and can take a finger off if you're not careful.

The young ladies downstairs feed them morning and night and have great fun doing so. Maybe photos later.

We Yanks have 'imported' a bit of OZ here in LA in the form of your lorikeets:

Aqaurium of the Pacific: Lorikeet Forest --

https://www.aquariumofpacific.org/ex...orikeet_forest

The vivid colors of the lorikeets would suggest they are near the top of their native bird food chain and do not require the more overall green hues of their cousins for protective camouflage, much like the scarlet Macaw of south America who have a rainbow of brilliant colors and the advantage of a one meter wingspan and near equal length; the fact the lorikeets are feisty is also probably a good reason they are able to defend themselves; it is sometimes surprising how some seemingly size disadvantaged bird species can be some of the most aggressive and resilient fighters when threatened; I once saw a group of about four hummingbirds confront and chase off a red tail hawk that had apparently come too close to their nesting areas among some homes and trees in a nearby neighborhood; some of their tactics would have impressed Top Gun...

<O>
Old 08-11-20, 08:30 AM   #140
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Yes vienna mate, the Lorikeets here in the city range over a large area, and have interacted with their human neighbours for hundreds of years.

And while not tame, they have picked up snatches of English, which they will use. Sometimes in an unexpected manner

I've seen them perch on tourists posing for photos ( expecting to get fed ) and when no food is forthcoming.....it's "F... Y.." or "B......t".

But when they know you from long experience, it's..."I love you" or "kissy kissy", and nibbling on your ear.

They're cheeky and intelligent.

Old 08-14-20, 08:05 PM   #141
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Other cities have taller towers, but we're proud of ours.

https://vimeo.com/68755576

Sadly I don't think the world will get back to how it was even only a year ago - free travel between countries.

Local attractions are slowly opening up down here but with heaps of restrictions, and threats of reclosures. So I thought I'd take some local trips and photo what I can for you guys before it all comes crashing down again.

Don't look down.

On a clear day you can see forever.

The Finger Wharf at Woolloomoolloo ( sic ? )

Woolloo...etc used to be a neglected part of town, but was heavily redeveloped a generation ago and now is VERY upmarket.

The National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour ( more later ). Looks compact from a distance but it's quite spread out and requires a lot of walking. They've got a destroyer, submarine, and tall ships.

Started with Lorikeets, so lets finish with them...

Old 08-17-20, 01:44 PM   #142
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Great photos, mate... makes my neighbourhood look dull
Old 08-17-20, 08:40 PM   #143
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

No Eich. I've seen your photos, you live in a beautiful area. You're an artist, you're in tune with your environment.

Beautiful sweeping vistas, gorgeous sunsets, moors and heathland. Wildlife we don't have down here, Deer, Boars, Squirrels, Wild Ponies etc etc.

Beautiful Medieval towns, History going back to before the Romans. Robin Hood, Hereward the Wake, more etc etc.

I'm only a bird in a gilded cage. At the beginning of the covid emergency, a lot of "low risk" mental patients and petty crims were released into the community and they all gravitated to "The Cross"because of the brilliant infrastructure we have down here and also the "do gooder" charities ( Wayside Chapel, Wesley Mission ).

It's become decidedly dangerous at times.

If things get back to "normal", I'll shout you a trip down here and show you around. You'll be safe.

Old 08-17-20, 09:52 PM   #144
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
No Eich. I've seen your photos, you live in a beautiful area. You're an artist, you're in tune with your environment.

Beautiful sweeping vistas, gorgeous sunsets, moors and heathland. Wildlife we don't have down here, Deer, Boars, Squirrels, Wild Ponies etc etc.

Beautiful Medieval towns, History going back to before the Romans. Robin Hood, Hereward the Wake, more etc etc.

I'm only a bird in a gilded cage. At the beginning of the covid emergency, a lot of "low risk" mental patients and petty crims were released into the community and they all gravitated to "The Cross"because of the brilliant infrastructure we have down here and also the "do gooder" charities ( Wayside Chapel, Wesley Mission ).

It's become decidedly dangerous at times.

If things get back to "normal", I'll shout you a trip down here and show you around. You'll be safe.
I agree Eisenwurst

You know what we really need a "this is my desk thread" or this is, "my man cave" thread
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 01:37 AM   #145
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

...or a "This Is My Thread" thread...

<O>
Old 08-18-20, 07:42 AM   #146
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I agree Eisenwurst

You know what we really need a "this is my desk thread" or this is, "my man cave" thread
And so it came to pass

Putting my pictures on it now.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-22, 05:37 PM   #147
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee, 2022

This fabulous photo was taken by a friend & neighbour. It shows the beacon lit in nearby Frampton and visible from our place across the fields
Old 08-27-22, 06:08 PM   #148
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ strange, i did not see any bonfire here, around the House of Hannover

But, we planted a tree. A. TREE.

"As part of their partnership in the "Queen's Green Canopy" initiative, the British Ambassador to Germany and the Association of German Nurseries (BdB), together with the Hannoversch-Britische Gesellschaft e.V. and the Herrenhäuser Gardens, have dedicated a pedunculate oak to the Queen.

In the Georgengarten in Hanover, British Ambassador Jill Gallard, Markus Guhl, Managing Director of the Association of German Nurseries (BdB), Dr. Catrin Kuhlmann from the Hannoversch-Britische Gesellschaft e.V. and Prof. Dr. Anke Seegert from the Herrenhäuser Gärten dedicated a freshly planted oak (Quercus robur) to Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain. The tree planting in Hanover is the result of an initiative of the Hannoversch-Britische Gesellschaft e.V. and the Herrenhäuser Gardens. The tree was donated by the Association of German Nurseries."

https://www.presseportal.de/pm/126784/5244429

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 08-27-22 at 06:21 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-22, 04:38 AM   #149
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ The beacons are/were an alarm system from ancient times, to spread word of invasion - each beacon is within sight of others so that a fiery warning can be passed along. Now they're just used in celebration of some great event
Old 08-01-23, 01:52 PM   #150
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Horse chestnut, or 'conker' trees, 100 yards from our house - this was taken a couple of Spring-times ago and this year may be the last time we can walk up the road and see them, since we are going to have to move away from our home of the past 37 years