SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-06, 09:39 PM   #1
Werewolf13
Torpedoman

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default Mission Status Screen

OK - I know I'll be in the minority here but I FREAKING HATE IT THAT PLAYERS CAN VIEW MISSION STATUS DURING A MISSION!

There's just too much information on the status screen that a platform in real life would never have (I know DW is just a game but playing it like a sim is most of the fun - at least for me). In addition goals can give away critical victory objectives and that's not good if figuring out what is important and what is not is part of the mission.

The only legit time I believe mission status should be available to the player is in a mission specifically designed for training purposes.

SO! is there a way to turn off a player's ability to view Mission Status while a mission is active?

If not should there be? I know if I could I'd turn off a player's ability to view mission status while in mission about 99% of the time for scenarios I make.
Old 05-14-06, 03:26 AM   #2
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5

you cant turn off mission status..

but you can 'leave blank' names of triggers tied to goals.

funny thing is.. we both share the same frustrations.. i know im guilty of plotting around unfinished goals..

the way i do it, is on page 1 toward of the top of a trigger assigment.. fill it with spacebar characters

then at the bottom of page 1.. make sure you enter description so you can tell what the trigger is..

in mission status what whould look like this:

sink ffg convoy: incomplete

will look like this:

' <-- blank spaces --> ':incomplete

for more info on it.. check my thread and the numbered items http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51609
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 03:30 AM   #3
Sonoboy
Planesman

Downloads: 8

I think one of the major issues is that people can see what platforms they have killed. Makes it very easy to tell if you hit a sub or not.
Sonoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 04:17 AM   #4
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suBB
the way i do it, is on page 1 toward of the top of a trigger assigment.. fill it with spacebar characters

then at the bottom of page 1.. make sure you enter description so you can tell what the trigger is..

in mission status what whould look like this:

sink ffg convoy: incomplete

will look like this:

' <-- blank spaces --> ':incomplete
In this case, why don't you make it an event rather than a goal... then it doesn't show up in the first place?

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 08:55 AM   #5
Werewolf13
Torpedoman

Quote:
In this case, why don't you make it an event rather than a goal... then it doesn't show up in the first place?
Because events are not mission objectives and one gets no points for them.

For example in the Caught in the Middle Mission I made looking at Mission status ruins the whole mission concept.

WHY?

Because the main idea behind the mission is to get the player to think strategicly and not tacticly, to do something other than just sink ships.

Looking at the status screen makes it painfully obvious what must be done to complete the mission.

Leaving the goal name blank is a good idea - a really good idea though filling in the goal complete and incomplete messages becomes critical if one does that.
Old 05-15-06, 11:37 AM   #6
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

"objective alpha"
"objective beta"
and so on?

The player could observe along the way what has been done, and guess what is what, but

Anyway, su88/suBB takes it a bit too far, imo - *every* trigger unnamed. Helping him with one mission became slightly painful around that. The trigger list becomes quite useless.

Old 05-15-06, 12:32 PM   #7
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa
"objective alpha"
"objective beta"
and so on?
The player could observe along the way what has been done, and guess what is what, but
Anyway, su88/suBB takes it a bit too far, imo - *every* trigger unnamed. Helping him with one mission became slightly painful around that. The trigger list becomes quite useless.
ya I have to agree with you(sorry about that mahuja)

I didn't know any better before but I’m thinking that if I used event triggers instead I can still have trigger name listed, but not show up on mission status. Instead I was relying on mouseover to explain trigger description, which I did take note of for each and all.

By the time I realized the difference between goal and event in regards to mission status, map was 80% finished. The next go-around won't nearly be as bad.

@mahuja:

Still can’t get setfuel working and I’ve tried everything you've suggested and other possibilities.
Instead, I’m pondering another angle for the helo.

Is there a way to toggle addeffect smoke/fire, or at least have said script stay active for a period of time?
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 04:36 AM   #8
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa
... could not know that initially and plan for it. And I guess that is about as much as you can really expect anyway; second time the player would remember things.

Sorry 'bout that.

Also; if you have one goal trigger "Mission Complete" holding the mission status "incomplete" until you spawn other goal triggers as the user gets his instructions regarding them... One less problem.

They can be spawned just as objects are; see attached triggers appearing only as their object is created; and I think triggers can be added to dynamic groups.

Old 05-19-06, 10:07 AM   #9
OKO
Commander

Default Re: Mission Status Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf13
OK - I know I'll be in the minority here but I FREAKING HATE IT THAT PLAYERS CAN VIEW MISSION STATUS DURING A MISSION!
why don't you just make objective spawn only when you want to ?
putting the triggers in a dynamic group with probability 0 then create group when you want.
So the goals will pup up on mission status ONLY when you will create the group.
That's the way I solved this problems, and it works fine

you could see examples on this coop mission, where you will know which naval base is the final objetcive ONLY when you will have reached the datum, and not before =>

http://okof4.free.fr/missions/DW/CO4...ammer_v1.02.mu
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-06, 10:16 AM   #10
OKO
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by suBB
you cant turn off mission status..
but you can change the goals in mission status as well as you want, creating them and destroying them at wish during the mission ... so were is the problem ? more work at edition ? yes, this is the only problem in fact.
a small problem, it's quite fast and easy to do
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote