SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-12, 07:46 PM   #136
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

They all suck. It's nothing but a darn electronic leash. You simply can get away from anything. The leash has become a prerequisite for most jobs. If I could flush my android powered HTC EVO I would.

Rant over.

IPhone seems to be a status thing. I don't understand the allure. I can say I hate android. The updates and ICS have created a Frankenstein. Just a jumbled mess of apps that work for 2.1 but not 2.2 and never will because your device can not update to 2.2 unless your carrier sends it to you. Planned obsolescence.

My wife had a Windows phone. I loved it. Simple, easy, apps worked at no charge. Open source...closed! Android is open with a mess of apps that are not always the greatest. I have android on my tablet. I hate it. I will be looking for a tablet with windows.

The iPod is hands down one kick butt music player. Nothing better IMO.
Old 09-30-12, 08:10 PM   #137
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

If i had the time, Id head down to the Apple store to walk up and down the Iphone 5 queue with my tounge stuck under my bottom lip making a long UNNGGHH! sound, because that is a pretty accurate description of what they are doing....queuing for days... to pay silly money.... for a phone...thats a little bit better than the one they currently have.

Or maybe i would just give them a clap, because that level of materialistic idiocy almost deserves a round of applause!
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 08:37 PM   #138
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Ok, first of all, DON'T BUY PHONES ON CONTRACT!!!!!

In my use case, (and in many of yours I would believe), it ain't worth it.

Ok, disclaimer: fanboy rant ahead

For phones, you should go with either Symbian or Windows Phone.

If we ignore programs, Symbian is the best cellphone OS out of the box. If you are looking for a flagship device, I would recommend the Pureview 808. It has a stunning 41 megapixel camera(you read that right), NFC, USB on the go(aka, you can plug in your USB sticks to your phone), and an FM transmitter (aka, get your phone to create an FM radio channel, you can listen to music in your car this way). Symbian is the best phone platform, but to bad it is pretty much dying right now. Its a damned shame if you ask me, Symbian sold millions when it was crap, and now is dead when it finally got good.

On the other hand, Windows Phone is GREAT. It is 100% smooth, no lag, and the UI is amazing. Windows Phone is a smooth and delightful platform. I would seriously recommend that you give it a try when Windows Phone 8 comes out.

As for android, I have to say, I'm seriously not impressed. My dad has last year's flagship android, the Motorola Atrix. It has a duel core CPU, and 1gb ram. Yet it LAGS! In its out of the box state, it simply lags when you swipe and whatnot. My Windows Phone, and LG quantum, has much lower specs, yet it runs perfectly smooth. This is simply unacceptable!

Also, Android's update situation is ridiculous. My dad's atrix, is on 2.3, 2 versions behind. And now, with some apps(like chrome) demanding 4.0, his phone can not run many of them.

Android devices are good when they are new, but consider this: In Canada, our contracts are 3 years long, so now one year in, my dad has to live with an outdated, "ancient" (by android standards) phone for two more years.

PS: my recommendation for a phone: The Lumia 920.
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/lumia920/

Comes out next month, does EVERYTHING.
Old 09-30-12, 08:57 PM   #139
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Tyrant echoes my thoughts. Of the three I have worked with Windows on a LG Quantum was the best.
Old 09-30-12, 09:54 PM   #140
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Not being a snot, but my wife got the new I phone. After the contract and accessories it costs 600$ (and a little more)
It does less than my 200$ android phone. Which is mid range.

What is the allure, that makes people wait on line overnite for this crap?

I pay 35$ a month. With no 2 year contract.

Is it some kind of social status thing?

I do not get it, and I am not an apple trasher, but I am not impressed. 600 for what my 200$ phone does faster. with no contract.

I hope no one here is as stupid as we were...I am warning you now, it is pure crap for the price paid.

Ok, what is your phone and who do you pay $35 a month to? I am due to swith carriers, what plan are you on?

Nothing against iphones here, they work and are dominant, so like the VHS and Blueray, I like to fall in line with a winner. But I would be open to droid phones if I was fairly sure one work suit me.

thanks

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 09-30-12 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 02:06 AM   #141
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Iphones are not actually dominant, I belive Android has taken the no 1 spot.
In tougher economic times, people what a good deal
Old 10-01-12, 04:15 AM   #142
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
Ok, first of all, DON'T BUY PHONES ON CONTRACT!!!!!

In my use case, (and in many of yours I would believe), it ain't worth it.

Ok, disclaimer: fanboy rant ahead

For phones, you should go with either Symbian or Windows Phone.

If we ignore programs, Symbian is the best cellphone OS out of the box. If you are looking for a flagship device, I would recommend the Pureview 808. It has a stunning 41 megapixel camera(you read that right), NFC, USB on the go(aka, you can plug in your USB sticks to your phone), and an FM transmitter (aka, get your phone to create an FM radio channel, you can listen to music in your car this way). Symbian is the best phone platform, but to bad it is pretty much dying right now. Its a damned shame if you ask me, Symbian sold millions when it was crap, and now is dead when it finally got good.

On the other hand, Windows Phone is GREAT. It is 100% smooth, no lag, and the UI is amazing. Windows Phone is a smooth and delightful platform. I would seriously recommend that you give it a try when Windows Phone 8 comes out.

As for android, I have to say, I'm seriously not impressed. My dad has last year's flagship android, the Motorola Atrix. It has a duel core CPU, and 1gb ram. Yet it LAGS! In its out of the box state, it simply lags when you swipe and whatnot. My Windows Phone, and LG quantum, has much lower specs, yet it runs perfectly smooth. This is simply unacceptable!

Also, Android's update situation is ridiculous. My dad's atrix, is on 2.3, 2 versions behind. And now, with some apps(like chrome) demanding 4.0, his phone can not run many of them.

Android devices are good when they are new, but consider this: In Canada, our contracts are 3 years long, so now one year in, my dad has to live with an outdated, "ancient" (by android standards) phone for two more years.

PS: my recommendation for a phone: The Lumia 920.
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/lumia920/

Comes out next month, does EVERYTHING.
I used to have symbian phones...some of the flagships from Nokia and i must say that android devices are way better.
Currently i own Samsung and in terms of smoothness and functionality it beats Nokia in every possible way.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 04:18 AM   #143
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Symbian was great in 2005, today its bloody awful, unless you just want a phone thats a phone.
Oh and on an unrelated note, I really dont miss cycling though 3-4 letters of the alphabet on one button.
Old 10-01-12, 04:38 AM   #144
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
The iPod is hands down one kick butt music player. Nothing better IMO.
Well AVG that's why I have an iphone, it's still the best phone for music playback-and I would not want to carry two devices-although if I still had my feature phone I would get an ipod. Same logic that I like games and prefer an all in one device. Or you could get an ipod touch and have games, some internet connection when on wifi and music. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
If i had the time, Id head down to the Apple store to walk up and down the Iphone 5 queue with my tounge stuck under my bottom lip making a long UNNGGHH! sound, because that is a pretty accurate description of what they are doing....queuing for days... to pay silly money.... for a phone...thats a little bit better than the one they currently have.

Or maybe i would just give them a clap, because that level of materialistic idiocy almost deserves a round of applause!
Oh come on JU, yes it's silly to upgrade every year or possibly every two years yes. I would disagree that the iphone 5 is an insignificant upgrade. Maybe from a 4s but a huge difference speed wise with my 4 or your 3gs. Plus a much nicer screen (not just size), a much better camera and LTE if you want that. for me, the memory uograde to 64 GB would be worth it-games like WOTA and the Infinity Blade series need tons of space.

Anyhow here is a fair review of the 5 (even if on an Apple site):

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...6gb-32gb-64gb/

You said it yourself gaming is one of the iphone's big advantages-as we know from our beloved subsims you more or less have to upgrade to play the latest games. I lasted 8 years (!) on my previous computer before upgrading in 2010, believe me my SH3-GWX and il2-1946 were suffering at the end. The line ups are a bit silly though.

As for other platforms, if I had to choose it would be windows phone. Seriously except for the relative lack of apps a very nice phone and the Nokia hardware is also very nice.

I actually am disliking Android more and more, partly because of the reasons mentioned above such as lack of comprehensive updates etc. I also have a distrust of Google, I know Apple have taken a lot of deserved flak lately, but except for gmail and google earth I have been trying to get away from google. I use Duck Duck Go for search and actually would like to see some viable alternatives for google maps (yes Apple ain't there yet but there are plenty of alternatives). I just don't like one company getting hold of so much info and see Android as just another conduit to info gathering. The main thing are the fans though, I don't see these mythical Apple fanatics online or in real life anymore but the Andorid fans are extremely aggresive, they've become the new Apple fans. Even here every time there is a post about a new game for ios (like WOTA or Pacfic Fleet) you cna be sure to get someone posting "nice game but too bad Apple sux", I find it amusing really.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 04:58 AM   #145
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Apple fanatics do indeed still exist, they camp out side Apple stores just so they can be the first to get iphone5, - that is really stupid, Im sorry.
Old 10-01-12, 05:25 AM   #146
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Apple fanatics do indeed still exist, they camp out side Apple stores just so they can be the first to get iphone5, - that is really stupid, Im sorry.
Agreed on that-camping out for anything is stupid-except maybe for concert tickets. Depending on the festival or group.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 06:16 AM   #147
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH View Post
I used to have symbian phones...some of the flagships from Nokia and i must say that android devices are way better.
Currently i own Samsung and in terms of smoothness and functionality it beats Nokia in every possible way.
Regarding Symbian, I really feel that it is sad, really.

There used to be a time when Symbian was the best. (pre iPhone, when everyone had the Razr or Blackberry, or Treo) The n95 blew my mind when I first saw it. I mean, compared to everything at the time, it had everything. GPS, Camera, WiFi, EVERYTHING!

But than the iPhone came out and changed everything. Suddenly touchscreens were all the rage. Nokia made some HORRIBLE decisions at the time, resulting in the DISASTER that was the n97. It has a pathetic CPU, with a reactive touchscreen, and charged you an arm and a leg. Around the time, the best Symbian device was actually the Samsung Omnia HD. But because Nokia ran Symbian, the Omnia HD was screwed from the start. Nokia even refused to license the app store to Samsung.

Than, Nokia finally got their crap together(on the hardware front), and released the Symbian ^3 generation. Nobody can deny that the N8, E7, C6-01, and C7 were impressive hardware wise, and at the core, the software was pretty good too. But Nokia ruined it again by releasing it with a ton of bugs, and the UI was crap.

Finally, Nokia kicked out their CEO, hired Elop from Microsoft. Elop saw that Symbian was doomed, for the period from 2008 - 2011, every Symbian device was crap, or at least highly flawed. The Symbian name was unsalvageable.

Thus Symbian was renamed Nokia Belle (Belle was originally the codename, like Vista or Ice cream sandwich). Symbian was pretty much also put on life support, Nokia promised support until at least 2016, with at most one new device a year.

However, Nokia Belle is actually pretty damned good!

and most of all, Symbian at its core has several core advantages against Android or iOS.

Symbian does not require much specs to run smoothly. My dad's Atrix (with a duel core NVidia Tegra II, and 1gb ram) barely runs smooth. Yet Symbian devices with 1ghz CPU and 512 RAM can run buttery smooth.

Symbian supports USB On the Go. This was one of the most amazing features I ever saw, and I truly wished that other phones can do it too. What it is, is that you can simply plug in your USB stick onto your phone (with a USB to Micro-usb adapter), and your phone can recognize it and interact with it.

Finally, Symbian's kernel model is different compared to Android or Windows or iOS. It is special, in that it supports hardware interrupts at the kernel level. So for the user, you see that Symbian phones are the only phones that support Xeon flash. Aka, the pro level flash that are used on real cameras, not simply a lightbulb.

Thus what I am saying is, if you are willing to look past the "Symbian" name (not really even named Symbian anymore), the latest Symbian flagship is a pretty good choice. The Nokia Pureview 808 is a stunning device.

review: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_808_pu...review-776.php

The camera is the number one cellphone camera, no debate there, its 41 megapixels! Plus it has USB OTG, FM transmitter, NFC, and everything you can want. Plus, the Belle UI is pretty damned good too!

PS, if anyone here is a phone connoisseur like me, here are some devices that you might want to try just to experience them:

The Palm Pre 2, HP veer, or the HP pre 3 is something you have to experience. WebOS is an AMAZING OS, just constrained by the horrible hardware on the original pre.

The Nokia N9 is also something to look out for, the Device itself is stunning, and the OS is Meego (not Symbian). Meego is dead, Elop killed it, but it is a pretty damned good OS, at least worth a try.
Old 10-01-12, 07:08 AM   #148
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Yeah...belle was good upgrade.
I also like nokia phones in terms of design looks and durability.
Lets hope win8 will catch on as mobile os.It should solve the functionality issue.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 07:11 AM   #149
JU_88
Silent Hunter

^ Very informative post there, The_Tyrant, thanks
Old 10-01-12, 07:31 AM   #150
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

soop, what's your device and carrier, I gots to know.

Tags
mobile, phone