SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-12, 09:18 AM   #1
thelake
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
get back from glide wrappers...

Hi guys,

I'm using Fleet command by sonalyst on win 7 system with an ATI HD4890 Radeon graphic card. It worked pretty well but sometimes it crashed so I tried nglide and several other similar 3dfx emulators with negative results: stupid me:
I decided to simply uninstall all this stuff and continue with the previous and original setup. But I got a bad surprise, now the game crashes at startup with a bad 'failed to initialize the graphics display' .I thought that the display drivers could have been corrupted in some way so I reinstalled, but no way it doesnt's want to work.
Any suggestion ?
thanks in advance!
thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 04:06 PM   #2
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Do a clean reinstall and on the EXE file, right-click and select the compatibility tab. Check everything EXCEPT Run 256 colors and Run at 640x480 res. Also select the Compatibility mode "Windows 98/ Windows Me" in the menu.

When in a mission, hit CTRL-V to remove the radar fog-of-war effect to eliminate the 3D slowdown. Doing this won't make everything appear on the map, it just removes the shadow from the minimap that is causing the 3D slowdown. Also, NVIDIA cards experience the most problems because they weren't designed to deal with the old 3D Glide tech.

Of all the old Sonalysts games, Fleet Command is the least stable on the new operating systems. However, the above fixes should resolve most of the issues.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 12:07 PM   #3
thelake
Nub

no way. did the clean-install but nothing, same error. I tried also to install older graphic card drivers , but nothing.
In the meantime I skipped the problem installing the game on a virtual machine , better than nothing ...
Old 06-04-12, 01:04 PM   #4
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I re-read your post to see if I missed anything or did something stupid. I saw that you are using a Radeon card. The only thing I can think of being the problem that is ATI-specific is Catalyst Control Center. I know that many versions of CCC are notorious for interfering with games to the point of making them unplayable. It is why I won't use ATI/AMD graphics cards any more. However, I am grasping at straws, at this point.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 02:06 AM   #5
thelake
Nub

yeah, I think the same way on ATI cards. The next one will be nvidia for sure. This card is not so bad, now I've been using it since almost 3 years right now, but sometimes I had to crash my head into a wall to find a working solution with certain games. This time is harder probably, but I still hope to solve it ....