SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-07, 12:56 PM   #1
maro
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
How to destroy battleships, fleet carrier and heavy cruiser whit one torpedo...

It is possible to destroy battleships ( Kongo, Fuso, Ise), fleet carriers (Shokaku, Hyryu) and heavy cruisers with only one torpedo. First, the distance between sub and ship must be from 350 to 400 meters. Next thing, put torpedo speed on high and exploder on contact. And last thing, aim at first bow gun turret or between two bow gun turrets (ammo bunkers should be below gun turrets).

At the end i sunk Yamato three times. First time i needed ten torpedoes (aimed all over ship), second time i needed six torpedoes (aimed at two bow gun turrets) and third time only five torpedoes, but that happened only once! Usualy it takes 6-7 torpedoes. Two missions later, i run into task force with three Yamato battleships, (made a screen shot). Good hunting!
maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 01:17 PM   #2
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

i seriously doubt it can be done, unless you screw around with a few files and then it won't be a sim. capital ships are just too heavily armored and spaces compartmented for 1 fish to sink them

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 01:24 PM   #3
seafarer
Commodore

What possible difference would the range make? The explosive impact of the torpedo is the same, whether it hits from 400 yards out or 40,000.

I did sink the Hiryu once with two hits (out of 3, my last that patrol - one missed astern). It took her quite awhile to do down (over 90 minutes), but she did slowly settle lower and lower, and then went down stern first. I was using NSM classic, not stock hit points though.
seafarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 03:07 PM   #4
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

I suppose he means if you get a direct hit to the ammo depots the ship would blow up... That happened to the Hood with german heavy shells. Could a torpedo do it to a battleship? I dunno...
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 03:21 PM   #5
fair_weather
Planesman

Downloads: 18

I remember sinking a carrier with one eel...

and here's the kicker.

It was by accident

Long story short: I was doing the quick mission where you have to sink the yamato in the task force, well, I had her all lined up and fired all tubes at her.

a minute went by and I checked the scope again and I saw the yamato, still dead centre of the scope, then from the right came a carrier, can't remember the class, but it was a fair size, and it went right into the line of my torpedoes.

I blinked and saw one fish strike her clean amidships. She blew up. That's how I can describe it. Just "KABOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM" fighters flying from the deck, showers of spakrs, flames erupting everywhere, the boilers exploding.

All with one torp. She went down pretty quickly too...

I can't remember which version this was, probably 1.1 or stock, cause it was fairly early after it being released.

But it was one amazing fluke.

Information on the Real SS-228
fair_weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 04:54 PM   #6
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 04:55 PM   #7
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

I can usually sink the Shokakus with one or two fish and they'll sink like rocks. On one particularily rewarding pass, I took out two Kongo BB's in a single salvo, and all of this on hard settings. It seems to me it is ridiculously easy to sink capital ships compared to mere freighters who seem strangely resilient to any kind of damage.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 05:18 PM   #8
mrbeast
Ace of the Deep

Are these single shot/double shot capital ship kills using stock SH4? If so the damage models and hit points for the capital vessels were all messed up in stock SH4. Apparently DDs had more hit points than some of the battleships.

I doubt that these results could be acheived using NSM as it sorted all that out to give more realistic results.
Old 10-01-07, 05:21 PM   #9
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87

I remember the days you could sink something that big with one torp... those were the days before NSM. Well you still can sorta, i've sunk the mogami with two shots under the guns. Big fire ball but the other two torps still hit and she sunk bow first while capsizing it was nice. But last night It took three torps to sink a tanker. It was kinda funny really. What happened was two torps hit her in the bow. And she started to go down and then she reached about 30º and kinda hung there without going down. She stayed like that for about an hour before i got tired of watching so a shot a torp into her keel from the stern tubes and down she went. Anyways heres a picture of her just hanging there.

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 07:06 AM   #10
perica
Nub

You can sink these battleships with only one torp aiming at gun turrets with ammo bunkers, easiest way to point into bow guns, first or second or between, mosty with contact torp 2.5 m deep, or in some of the cases below armor belt around 9-10 meters at depth...
Ise class is slightly tougher, but also 1 torp is quite enough to make a big KAAABOOM...
With fleet carriers you must attack the side with command tower, below it is the best...
Range at 300-350 m is significant cause you're sure that torp will struck right in the place, based on speed of moving battleship...
Basicly ammo bunkers are safest way to sink battleship...
For merchant ship magnetic torp is good, aimed at tower or in front, because of fuel bunkers...
Battleships ( Ise, Kongo, Yamato ), fleet carriers ( Hiryu, Shokaku ) and heavy cruisers can be found close to Tokyo and Kawasaki harbours, then in front of Hiroshima, but Kobe is the best for sinking close to 100-150000 tons...
I'm searching right now for more harbours with Task forces...
Btw You don't need to screw with any files to manage this...
Good hunting, sea wolfs!!!
perica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 09:24 AM   #11
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

I blew a carrrier sky high with one torpedo once.

No idea how, it was at anchor and I had fired two fore tubes and was turning to send a couple of stern tubes at her.

When the first one hit I watched in amazement as the carrier went up in a ball of flames. :hmm:
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 10:23 AM   #12
seafarer
Commodore

Just a pet peeve folks...

Naval ships do not have ammo bunkers, they have magazines. A bunker is a physical structure on land. Even then, ammo is not normall stored in bunkers, but in dumps or depots.

I will now step off the soap box...
Old 10-02-07, 10:55 AM   #13
mrbeast
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafarer
Just a pet peeve folks...

Naval ships do not have ammo bunkers, they have magazines. A bunker is a physical structure on land. Even then, ammo is not normall stored in bunkers, but in dumps or depots.

I will now step off the soap box...
Correct: in naval terms a bunker is somewhere you store fuel not ammunition.
Old 10-02-07, 11:27 AM   #14
seafarer
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeast
Correct: in naval terms a bunker is somewhere you store fuel not ammunition.
Yes, which in turn stems from the European usage of bunker as a bin or cupboard to store coal (I think the original gaelic word simply meant a box or chest). So the use of the term "ship's bunker(s)" derived from the areas used to hold coal for the ships own propulsion. As oil replaced coal, the enclosed fuel tanks became known as bunkers, hence the term bunker oil for the various grades of diesel and heavy fuel oil used by ships.
Old 10-02-07, 12:48 PM   #15
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97

The ship under my text, the Java sunk by one torpedohit of a japanese sub.
Reason was, they had stowed mines under the deck.....