SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-14, 03:10 AM   #931
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add man View Post
Probably a stupid question, but is this compatible with GWX 3.0?
AFAIK the answer is No.
GWX and NYGM are two "supermod", you use one or the other, not both at the same time.

EDIT
I read now the answer of torpille; well, sorry for the disinformation.
I myself have just learn something new.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 12:02 PM   #932
Tupolev
Hauptman

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

@Add man - If you're referring to NYGM as a whole, no. GWX and NYGM are standalone mods exclusive to themselves. If you are referring to h.sie's patch and/or Stiebler's hard code fixes, then yes. There is some manual installation required, but both patches run on GWX.

T
Tupolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 10:00 AM   #933
hocking
Sparky

Downloads: 156

I am having problems with the "Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)" mod that came in the documents folder of NYGM3_6D. I assume this is the latest version of Hitman's GUI. However, when I install only that file using JSGME I lose much of the functionality that Hitman's previous version offered (i.e., NYGM3_1.0 and NYGM3_1.1).

Is the "Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)" file supposed to be installed on top of the previous version of this mod like a patch, or is it supposed to be installed by itself? If it is supposed to be installed by itself why am I losing so much of Hitman's GUI's functionality?
hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 11:32 AM   #934
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocking View Post
I am having problems with the "Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)" mod that came in the documents folder of NYGM3_6D. I assume this is the latest version of Hitman's GUI. However, when I install only that file using JSGME I lose much of the functionality that Hitman's previous version offered (i.e., NYGM3_1.0 and NYGM3_1.1).

Is the "Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)" file supposed to be installed on top of the previous version of this mod like a patch, or is it supposed to be installed by itself? If it is supposed to be installed by itself why am I losing so much of Hitman's GUI's functionality?
For the differences between Hitman's Optics and Hitman's GUI, please check my post here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...24#post2227924
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 03:30 PM   #935
PhilipWebb059
Watch

Downloads: 107
Default Keeping Depth

Hi all;
Downloaded and started a campaign in 1940 using a a type 7b. A strange thing happened after I loaded a saved game. At periscope depth the sub started to "sink" and not in a "normal" way. I fired a spread at a T-3 and crash dived and a hard turn to starboard to evade an attacking DD. I thought it would recover at 60m. It didn't I could not recover until 160m. I headed for periscope depth and she acted stern heavy (I had no damage), when I slowed to creep it started to head down to a dangerous depth. I decided not to blow ballast because doing a gun fight with four DD would not go well. The sub went past crush depth and is now at the bottom in over 1000m of ocean.
Any ideas about this?
Thanks and thanks for the mod.
PhilipWebb059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 04:28 PM   #936
Tupolev
Hauptman

Downloads: 75

In NYGM your ability to maintain depth is a effected by your speed. Below 2 kts and your hydroplanes don't have enough effectiveness to keep your depth. Doubly true if you're in silent running.

Also, if you're using the unofficial patches, definitely read the docs regarding how to adjust your dpeth when using that option.

If you're not using the patches, maybe it was the "crash dive blues"?

T
Tupolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 10:26 PM   #937
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

I am back after a LONG time.

Decided to fire up SHIII for various reasons.

So I got it on Steam.

Now how do I get NYGM to run on the Steam version? Does it matter that it's in c.../steamapps/common/sh3?

I tried doing it, got all the files, loaded Jones' mod thingy, enabled the mods in the order stipulated. Now maybe I've done something wrong with it.

So should there be a different way of starting the game? If I simply start SH3 I seem to get generic, because the NYGM load screen doesn't show etc.

I used to know all this stuff (I had an original SH3 with that crap virus junk thing it came with, lol) but it's years since I've done it. Would it be too much to ask for a really basic step by step set of instructions if I need to do anything different? Even with JGSME (is that it?) I'm not entirely sure if it's in the right place (seems to be a folder inside SH3 root, and 'mods' is a folder within that..I just unzipped all those mod files into there then enabled them in the order stipulated..interestingly, JGSME seems only to think the last 3 are enabled as the first 3 are greyed out, but maybe that's a function of the changes the others made to them?).

Would really appreciate some help as NYGM was the best version of this game I played, and I'm not interested in vanilla nor the later versions of SH as frankly I thought they were junk (never bought SH5; I seem to recall saying I wouldn't way back when there were threads discussing it when it was still being developed).

Oh, and for anyone who might remember me (rather small chance of that), hello to you all again and hope everyone's been well.

Cheers
Steeltrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 11:00 PM   #938
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

I forgot to ask about bolting Sh 3 Commander into the mix. I remember using it, too, and thought it great. Particularly like 'no fatigue', because I found fatigue one of those aspects that made sense conceptually but became a micromanagement nightmare. Sh 4 at least gave you (bugged) watch rotations.

All in all, however, fatigue is more of a nuisance than something that added anything positive to the game IMO.

So any points on how to add it, too, would be good.

I know I've asked a lot, but it's been several years since I last played.

Look at my 'joined' date. Does that earn me some indulgence?

Steeltrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 03:51 AM   #939
enjoi
Sailor man

Downloads: 43

I decided to scrap GWX and try this mod, I am enabling everything in the order that Stiebler lists and I'm getting conflicts with each file in JGSME, is that ok? I'm doing everything as Stiebler says, just getting the conflict pop-up where it says blah blah blah has already been modified by ****, do you wish to continue?
enjoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 04:33 AM   #940
enjoi
Sailor man

I just finished installing everything for the Mod (I think). If I can't get this to work, Stiebler: if I make a donation on your page would you be willing to remote into my machine and patch my game properly? lol, I'm being serious ;P
Old 08-17-14, 05:24 PM   #941
enjoi
Sailor man

Seems to be running good, really liking this mod. Can someone tell me what I need to be able to have my weapons officer calculate ship distances? I need to enable hitman optics, no? Right now I have hitman optics for GWX, but I cant seem to find it for NYGM unless this file I already have is also for NYGM. I really need to figure this out though because I have no desire to manually calculate distances, Thanks.

Here's what mods I have enabled right now:

Last edited by enjoi; 08-17-14 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 06:37 PM   #942
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
Seems to be running good, really liking this mod. Can someone tell me what I need to be able to have my weapons officer calculate ship distances? I need to enable hitman optics, no? Right now I have hitman optics for GWX, but I cant seem to find it for NYGM unless this file I already have is also for NYGM. I really need to figure this out though because I have no desire to manually calculate distances, Thanks.

Here's what mods I have enabled right now:
Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed) is in the Documentation folder of NYGM 3.6D. But it won't give you a weapons officer who will calculate range for you. As Hitman explains in the documentation for Hitman Optics, Uboats commissioned during the war, and even pre-war Typ VIIs, didn't have a stadimeter. It was removed to allow room for stereo optics, which the KM felt were more useful (but are useless to us.). His sources are the original German documentation and an examination of surviving U-boat optyics in European museums. Hitman documents the technique RL U-boat skippers used to estimate range and AoB with the graticle in the scopes and UZO . It's actually not hard to do with a little practice, faster than a stadimeter and about as accurate, though it does involve calculating some numbers in your head. But that is how they did it.

With the exception of Hitman's GUI and Hitman's Optics, every other GUI mod I've seen incorporates a stadimeter. Most players like 'em. Only a few of us hard-core authenticity freaks use graticles.

Last edited by BigWalleye; 08-17-14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 07:06 PM   #943
enjoi
Sailor man

So there's no easy way to calculate the distance like in GWX? Will it change when I get a type 9 or higher? Oh boy, I think I'm gonna get my ass kicked in this mod.

Another thing, when I'm on deck and use my binoculars it's a single optic or really limited, is there a way around that?
Old 08-17-14, 07:48 PM   #944
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
So there's no easy way to calculate the distance like in GWX? Will it change when I get a type 9 or higher? Oh boy, I think I'm gonna get my ass kicked in this mod.

Another thing, when I'm on deck and use my binoculars it's a single optic or really limited, is there a way around that?
That's only Hitman's mods. NYGM has the standard SH3 optics with stadimeter and notepad. And you can add MaGUI, which has high-power optics and IIRC zoom binoculars. Or hsGUI, by h.sie, which seems to have some elements from MaGUI and some from Hitman. I've never tried either, but it seems a lot of people use MaGUI. MaGUI has a widescreen version, too. If you like NYGM, there are plenty of options.
Old 08-17-14, 08:44 PM   #945
enjoi
Sailor man

Hey Walleye, strangely enough I enabled the Hitman Optics 2.6 and it brought back the wideview Binoculars, weird. And it brought back the UZO I'm used to with the Lock button. So I'm pretty much all set now, The only thing I don't like is that I can't calculate how far ships are. I tried looking around the web and manuals but I still don't have a clue how to do it manually. It was a piece of cake in GWX.

Last edited by enjoi; 08-18-14 at 03:32 AM.

Tags
torpedos through hull