Old 01-11-21, 06:31 PM   #12721
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Please. It won't happen.
It already did. What do you think Jan. 6th was?
Old 01-11-21, 06:32 PM   #12722
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
My advice would be following:

1. Let Trump stay as President until Jan 20 2021.
2. If possible charge him for being the man behind the riot against Capitol Hill. In an ordinary court.
3. Reopen his Twitter account, after he has left the White House-After Jan 20 2021 he is an ordinary person with a standpoint and should have the same right as everyone else.

Markus
The problem is that Trump lies all the time. The implicit problem with banning his accounts is not that he is not allowed to speak out on them, sinc ehe lies anyway, but that this can be abused as a precedent for other, later instances to silence other people as well. That a liar like Trump is not allowed to spread his lies that easily anymore - that in itself is not the problem. Its lies. Just the precedent getting abused on other occasions, that is the problem. Trump's lies have led to riots, insurrection, and the death of people. Why should he have the right to continue with that lying so easily...? If somebody has shot innocent people, would he be allowed his firearms collection still? Any sane society would take it away from him. Its called prevention. Its called self defence. Trump is no victim, he is perpetrator.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-11-21 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 06:34 PM   #12723
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Good luck with getting that into his head.
Old 01-11-21, 06:36 PM   #12724
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Quote it to me.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 01-11-21, 06:39 PM   #12725
Skybird
Soaring

Chad Wolf, Homeland Security, has thrown the towel.

New York Bar association investigates to throw Guiliani out. ABOUT HIGH TIME and still already too late.
Old 01-11-21, 06:45 PM   #12726
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Twitter loses $5 billion in market value after Trump is permanently barred from the platform

Gee color me suprised.

Quote:
Twitter stock fell as much as 12% on Monday after the social-media company permanently suspended President Donald Trump's account on Friday evening. The share-price decline wiped $5 billion from Twitter's market capitalization.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...1-1-1029946778

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 01-11-21, 06:51 PM   #12727
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Agreed. On the other hand Trump could still issue a final message calling militia and proud boys to spring to arms. A lot of things I had considered impossible have happened in the last four years. I don't want the question "Why did nobody stop him?" being asked.

How do you think that kicking Trump out of office would possibly inhibit that ability in any way? He could just as easily issue that message after he leaves office. Unless of course you had a more final solution in mind.
Old 01-11-21, 06:56 PM   #12728
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Quote it to me.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer bud.
Old 01-11-21, 07:02 PM   #12729
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Inviting 15,000 "guests" who have taken the oath of enlistment to the inauguration could make it interesting.
Old 01-11-21, 07:49 PM   #12730
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Posting on Twitter isn't a right.
They are a privately held company who make their own rules. They are not affiliated with the US government.
So, where we are nowadays, I'd argue that social media of all types aren't exactly private in the sense that what they provide is the modern public square.

They are vastly different than, say, Subsim.com, which is narrowly focused and actively moderated. If you go to av website or join a discord channel focused on a video game, you expect the topics to be focused on that subject.

Years ago, no one was sending the public works employees who clean the public square to jail or knocking down the public square itself because someone spouted off something the local community decided they didn't like. You engaged a kook blathering in the public square at your own peril - it was no one's job to protect you from something you didn't like hearing.

Social media enjoys the protection of Section 230 in the US - the issue is that many people have pointed out that social media companies have not applied whatever standards exist on their platforms uniformly to all who are using their platforms. Instead of addressing those concerns, the social media companies continue to marginalize a portion of the users. Doesn't matter which social media company or on which side of the political spectrum. It just so happens to most social media happens to lean to the left.

In the case of Amazon shutting off the servers that hosted Parler, it's closer to the company that sold you a bookshelf coming in and taking it away because they don't like the books sitting in your shelf.

Let's be clear - no one trusts anyone else on the opposite sides of the political spectrum and the refusal of *any* media to allow opposing viewpoints, to engage people with those viewpoints with other than ridicule, or to accurately report the facts rather than presenting opinion as fact is just going to further fragment the populace.
Old 01-11-21, 08:24 PM   #12731
Skybird
Soaring

https://www.dw.com/en/uganda-electio...nts/a-56195067
Old 01-11-21, 08:34 PM   #12732
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
For all those Trumpettes who tried (and failed) to pass off the riot as 'just some people trying to take selfies in the Capitol'), the following (note: I'm not fond of the rather over-wrought commentary, but the video footage more than tells the tale):

...this is raw footage of an attack made by te thugs at one of the Capitol entrances with the Capitol Police, well outnumbered, putting up a valiant resistance to the invaders; at about :14, you can see the crowd has pulled one of the officers out of the doorway and is dragging him down the stairs; at about :23, in the lower left of the frame, you can see the officer has been dragged to the bottom of the stairs, and is being beaten by by the law-abiding, law-and-order-loving, LEO-respecting patriots, with one of the selfie takers actually using an American flag on a pole to beat te officer:

Yup, it just like the Trumpettes say: those guys were just there to take selfies and nothing more and all that talk of mob violence is fake news...

...it must suck for them and their thugs that unfortunately for them, more than enough of their activities have been captured by the unblinking eyes of the cameras; there is a massive effort by people on the Net to identify those involved in the criminality and the scope of their efforts is impressive and amazing; so far, dozens of the cretins have been arrested and it is hoped even more of the buggers will have a very unpleasant day in court...

<O>
As far as I can tell, it was a mostly peaceful protest, marred by a few agitators.
Old 01-11-21, 09:05 PM   #12733
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
As far as I can tell, it was a mostly peaceful protest, marred by a few agitators.
I will grant you that most of the people there were not in the fight, but a few is a bit of an understatement since it was enough to overcome the police force who were trying to protect the occupants.

Don't try to put any lipstick on this pig because it is too ugly.

Don't put a dress on this pig and call it pretty, it isn't.

I don't like the woke left at all but I like this pig even less.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 01-11-21, 09:19 PM   #12734
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I will grant you that most of the people there were not in the fight, but a few is a bit of an understatement since it was enough to overcome the police force who were trying to protect the occupants.

Don't try to put any lipstick on this pig because it is too ugly.

Don't put a dress on this pig and call it pretty, it isn't.

You can clearly see that the police officer pulled down the steps is being shielded by several older gentlemen - my guess is they are Trump supporters while some of the others are leftist agitators or extreme-right 1%ers

Does a mostly peaceful protest have to also be firey to be considered peaceful enough? The were thousands upon thousands of protestors (by some accounts hundreds of thousands) but only a small number engaged in violence, tragic as the deaths associated with that violence is.
Old 01-11-21, 09:21 PM   #12735
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
A couple hundred is a few when compared to the 100's of thousands that attended the rally. And even a few can gain entry when a place is not sufficiently defended.

Quote:
For a guy who doesn't like the woke left you sure do take their side pretty consistently in my view.

But anyways why the weak defense? They knew the rally was going to be held. There were hundreds of thousands of angry citizens filling the national mall. They had all the warning they needed. They had the resources to stop anyone from getting into the building or even onto the steps. They chose to ignore it and something happened.

Was someone hoping that things would get out of hand?
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter