SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-12, 02:37 PM   #1651
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
Hmm... I'm not so sure about this, I tested this about pretty thoroughly. When I was surfaced at first, they started to shoot at me and continued a while even when I submerged.

But then I tested another method, I was submerged and then put periscope up, dd's spotted me and tried to ram me, they clearly saw me. But no one fired at my persicope which was up all the time. I had even two patrol boats circling around the periscope, but no shots were fired. At least 20 min passed, but nothing... But still interesting to hear other experiences! .

Studying you pic now...
I have nothing stopping them from firing guns. The logic says if they have a contact detected and they can fire guns then fire guns.

It would be best to open up the AI editor in game and see what's going on. That way you can see whether they have a contact detected or not when your periscope is up. If they don't then that's why they aren't firing guns
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 06:30 AM   #1652
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I have nothing stopping them from firing guns. The logic says if they have a contact detected and they can fire guns then fire guns.

It would be best to open up the AI editor in game and see what's going on. That way you can see whether they have a contact detected or not when your periscope is up. If they don't then that's why they aren't firing guns

I'm going to be a pain in the XXX and continue with this...

Another test: I was surrounded with PT boats and merchants with guns. Periscope was up, and I had the map contacts on, so I could see I was clearly in sight. No shooting. Then I surfaced, and the firing started. I quickly dived again, but left periscope up and in sight. All firing stopped...

I have been searching the forums about this, and some people have asked about this earlier, also in SH 3 threads. Some people say it's working and there is no problem. So is it just my setup, faulty IRAI installation or what? Would be real nice if somebody could really confirm this issue. Because it sure isn't working on my game...

PS. What is the AI editor, and how can I use it in game?

EDIT:

I added planes to the scenario: I was submerged, periscope up, ships and patrol boats didn't attack, but the planes opened fire like they should!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 02:40 PM   #1653
Rongel
Grey Wolf

A-ha!

Finally managed to get the ships to fire at my periscope. It only happens when there is other u-boat or a ship that the enemy is firing. I made a single mission where there is a friendly u-boat. Both of use were submerged. I lifted the periscope and made sure that I was spotted. Nothing. Theb the other u-boat surfaced and enemies opened fire at it. And it was only then, that the nearby ships targeted my periscope and attacked me. They were clearly dividing their firepower between us. And when the other u-boat was destroyed the firing stopped, and they left my periscope alone.

I bet that the situation in Trevally's wolfpack mission was the same, that there was one surfaced u-boat that triggered the periscope shooting. So they can shoot at your periscope when you are submerged and spotted, but only if they have the "shooting mode" already going on by shooting at other ships.
Old 01-16-12, 03:58 PM   #1654
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
A-ha!

Finally managed to get the ships to fire at my periscope. It only happens when there is other u-boat or a ship that the enemy is firing. I made a single mission where there is a friendly u-boat. Both of use were submerged. I lifted the periscope and made sure that I was spotted. Nothing. Theb the other u-boat surfaced and enemies opened fire at it. And it was only then, that the nearby ships targeted my periscope and attacked me. They were clearly dividing their firepower between us. And when the other u-boat was destroyed the firing stopped, and they left my periscope alone.

I bet that the situation in Trevally's wolfpack mission was the same, that there was one surfaced u-boat that triggered the periscope shooting. So they can shoot at your periscope when you are submerged and spotted, but only if they have the "shooting mode" already going on by shooting at other ships.
this sounds like a serious bug in the exe regarding the AI. I can almost see what the function CanFireGuns() for the AI is doing:

if has contact:
if contact is submarine:
if submarine is surfaced: <---- more than likely what they did
Old 01-16-12, 05:20 PM   #1655
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Good find Rongel
Old 01-17-12, 04:28 AM   #1656
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
this sounds like a serious bug in the exe regarding the AI. I can almost see what the function CanFireGuns() for the AI is doing:

if has contact:
if contact is submarine:
if submarine is surfaced: <---- more than likely what they did
Yep seems that way. Because the plane attack system works, I tried to switch the commands. So I replaced Ship:CanFireCannons() to Plane:CanFireCannons() and, suprise suprise, it worked and the ships were shooting at me the moment I was spotted, even when I was submerged! So simply changing the commands, this could work!

I guess the IRAI is telling the planes to attack last known place of the sub after it's dissappeared, because the ships acted that way too. That seemed to be little too much and it could cause difficulties in large convoys. Needs more testing...
Old 01-21-12, 08:57 AM   #1657
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Tested more of this periscope shooting...

Unfortunately replacing the Ship:CanFireCannons() with Plane:CanFireCannons() causes the ships to act like planes. I sneaked to this big convoy, and when the first torpedo hit, all ships that had guns started to fire at my general direction (where the ships thought I was, I was undetected I think). They continued to shoot aproximately 15 minutes and caused pretty nice chaos! I think at least three of them were destroyed by friendly fire!

So it seems the only way to fix this is through exe modding...

Still it was nice to see a bit more aggressive ships. Currently when you are in periscope depth and periscope is up, surface ships can't do anything to you, if they don't have DC's (except ram).
Old 02-01-12, 05:22 AM   #1658
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

IRAI_0_0_30\sensors\
[SensorParameters]
;Visual.

does this line look ok

Visual range factor=0.5;0.30 ;[>=0] was 0.5, decreased by 25%
should these factors be the other way around ?
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 09:21 AM   #1659
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
IRAI_0_0_30\sensors\
[SensorParameters]
;Visual.

does this line look ok

I think so, i thought just the same when i saw that,
pedrobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 11:10 AM   #1660
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
IRAI_0_0_30\sensors\
[SensorParameters]
;Visual.

does this line look ok

Anything after the first ; is considered a comment and thus ignored
Old 02-01-12, 11:21 AM   #1661
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Anything after the first ; is considered a comment and thus ignored
Yes i know but it´s set to 0.5 and in the coment says that "was 0.5"
Old 02-01-12, 11:51 AM   #1662
lmy76128
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 902
Default i want to play more difficult

thanks to this mod but i want to play more difficult
can you fix the depth charges's explosion radius?
up..

Last edited by lmy76128; 02-01-12 at 12:16 PM.
lmy76128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 02:59 PM   #1663
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobas View Post
Yes i know but it´s set to 0.5 and in the coment says that "was 0.5"
I never updated the comment as the versions changed
Old 02-01-12, 05:43 PM   #1664
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
I never updated the comment as the versions changed
Ok , i changed it to 0.3 and my crew spotting in stock fog is perfect now . 0.5 the crew could see way too far into the fog . any comments .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 05:50 PM   #1665
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Ok , i changed it to 0.3 and my crew spotting in stock fog is perfect now . 0.5 the crew could see way too far into the fog . any comments .
I´ll try it.