SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-17, 11:17 AM   #2821
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

How about we just recognize that all countries irregardless of size, location or form of government exercises some sort of control over peoples movements through their borders And leave it at that.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 11:21 AM   #2822
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
How about we just recognize that all countries irregardless of size, location or form of government exercises some sort of control over peoples movements through their borders And leave it at that.
But they don't.
I can fly to Cuba, or Syria if I want. Heck I could visit NK if I'd fancy to-do so, my country won't stop me.
Old 03-13-17, 12:26 PM   #2823
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
But they don't.
I can fly to Cuba, or Syria if I want. Heck I could visit NK if I'd fancy to-do so, my country won't stop me.
Neither will our country stop us from visiting those places as both myself and now BR have stated but don't let that stop your hate fest. There must be some other 60 year old laws on our books for you to try and feel superior over.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 12:49 PM   #2824
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
And this is coming from you? Really?

Also, bash these evil tourists all you like.
When you're done, think about how much the Cubans benefit from them and how their situation would, or would have been any better with no tourism at all.

You're right though. Ignorance is bliss.
Bash them? Uh uh just pointing the other side of the hypocrisy you accuse us of. As far as who benifitted IMO it is the only ones left on the island namely the sheep and party loyal. Those who dont get to benifit from tourism are the doctors, lawyers, poets, intellectuals, the unwanted and the dead. They all came here for a better way of life and freedom.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 12:50 PM   #2825
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Neither will our country stop us from visiting those places as both myself and now BR have stated but don't let that stop your hate fest. There must be some other 60 year old laws on our books for you to try and feel superior over.
The point never was going to Cuba, no one ever said it's not possible.
If you would actually care to read posts you comment on more carefully, you may comprehend them even, who knows?

Nothing to do with superiority as well, but I can see that a fanatic nationalist is unable to think differently.
And me pointing out that you can't go there easily is hardly a "hate fest", but a simple fact and should actually give you something to think about before you talk trash about other countries in the future.
Old 03-13-17, 01:27 PM   #2826
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
the usual anti-American hatred and bile"
Gee Nipple, I'm sorry that I live in a better country. Please accept my condolences. Really, they are so totally heart felt.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 03:09 PM   #2827
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
But they don't.
Nipplespanner, I begining to think you're looking for an argument... So lets just say I'm right and your 1/2 right and call it a day on this particular subject.
Old 03-13-17, 04:05 PM   #2828
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Cool and calm heads/attitudes everyone please.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 04:24 PM   #2829
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Nipplespanner, I begining to think you're looking for an argument... So lets just say I'm right and your 1/2 right and call it a day on this particular subject.
No not at all, but how can you claim "every country..." when it's just not the case?
Nothing to do with wanting to argue, it's simply not correct.
It's also not important at all. Cuba or not, the initial point was something else and was missed by a mile, no need to go back and try again.
Old 03-13-17, 04:47 PM   #2830
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

(This should be the correct place)

The diplomatic crisis between the Netherlands and Turkey has taken another serious step / twist(forgot the word I was thinking of using)
Turkey has expelled the Dutch ambassador and closed their airspace for Dutch diplomats

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 04:48 PM   #2831
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
No not at all, but how can you claim "every country..." when it's just not the case?
Nothing to do with wanting to argue, it's simply not correct.
It's also not important at all. Cuba or not, the initial point was something else and was missed by a mile, no need to go back and try again.
I challange you to name one country that doesn't have some sort of controls on movement of people entering and leaving it's territory. (ie: open borders)
Old 03-13-17, 04:54 PM   #2832
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

so back to the original thread, on 60 minutes last night there was a piece on Mohammed Slahi who was held in Guantanamo from 2002 until 2016 and who wrote a book "Guantanamo Diary". In the interview, Slahi says he went to fight in Afghanistan in the early 90s and then no longer had any contact with Al-Qaida. The interviewer never pressed him further or chalenged him on his claim that he is an innocent man.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/does-tor...ainee-says-no/

However, when you look at his actual DoD file, you find out:

- he joined Al-Qaeda and went to a training camp in Afghanistan in 1992;

Quote:
Detainee traveled to Afghanistan for training and jihad in 1991. Once there, he attended the al-Faruq Training Camp near Kandahar, AF, for six weeks.
-he then traveled to Bosnia:

Quote:
In December 1992, detainee traveled to Slovenia to join the jihad in Bosnia-Herzegovina. He returned to Germany after a week when informed that travel into Bosnia was too hazardous
-he was an Al-Qaeda recruiter in Germany:

Quote:
He admitted his primary responsibility was to recruit for al-Qaida in Europe.
-he is suspected on having recruited several of the 9/11 hijackers:

Quote:
Detainee is an admitted member of al-Qaida who swore bayat to UBL, trained at al-Qaida camps, served as a key member of al-Qaida’s network in Europe, and was prepared to be a martyr. Detainee is an associate with and probable recruiter of several 11 September 2001 terrorist attack hijackers.
Quote:
During custodial debriefings, 11 September 2001 terrorist attack coordinator Ramzi Bin al-Shibh, ISN US9YM-010013DP (YM-10013), stated in Germany, detainee recruited YM-10013 and three of the suicide hijackers: Muhammad Atta, the overall mission commander and pilot of the aircraft that crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center (WTC); Marwan al-Shehhi, the pilot of the aircraft that destroyed the South Tower of the WTC; and Ziad Jarrah, the pilot of the aircraft that crashed in Pennsylvania. YM-10013 stated detainee recruited him
https://wikileaks.org/gitmo/prisoner/760.html

so poor innocent caught up by the big bad USA or terrorist?

The world is not as black and white as 60 minutes would like to think.
Old 03-13-17, 05:36 PM   #2833
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I challange you to name one country that doesn't have some sort of controls on movement of people entering and leaving it's territory. (ie: open borders)
I challenge you to read what was talked about again?
No one talked about entering, the point was prohibiting traveling to other countries, or at least make it difficult.

As I stated multiple times by now, I could travel wherever I want, my government would not stop me. At worst they'll issue warnings that some places are dangerous, they would however, not stop me or throw artificial obstacles in my way.

I don't understand why this seems to be so complicated.
Old 03-13-17, 06:01 PM   #2834
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

In Denmark it is forbidden to take a trip to Syria. I don't know if it's the same in Sweden

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 06:38 PM   #2835
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

But then nobody in their right mind would want to go there!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terrorism