SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-19, 12:46 PM   #1
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
Faster Crash Dive - when an aircraft or warship etc is spotted and a quick crash dive is needed, it may take an agonizingly long time for your chief engineer to run from wherever he is to the ballast valves and operate them. so follow these steps instead of ordering a crash dive from the depth gauge.

(1) press the space bar to pause the game (2) select whichever officer is standing at the navigation table (3) order that officer to operate the ballast valve (4) NOW order the crash dive. (5) set engine telegraph to fastest possible speed. (6) resume normal game speed

You'll be under in a more reasonable 20-25 seconds
is it also possible to be "heavy" at lower than 4 meters surfaced to improve dive time as with the old SH games?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 01:00 PM   #2
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

I wish i knew what you guys are doing.I can't even get down the hatch! wish there was some instructions. I never played the 'sims'
Old 05-06-19, 02:16 PM   #3
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppro View Post
I wish i knew what you guys are doing.I can't even get down the hatch! wish there was some instructions. I never played the 'sims'
It has nothing to do with the sims, it's just an oversimplified and lazy comparison in my opinion based on the visuals of the game. Watch some youtube streams. Select an officer and right or left click on the object that you want him to interact with. You want him to keep track of your navigation? Click on an officer (various ways to do this) and then left click on the navigators table, or right click for more options.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 03:25 PM   #4
stoppro
Sonar Guy

the thing is I see the ladder icon left clickand use the s-key to desend? all I keep doing is opening and closing the the hatch there is a lot of nickel and dime bs to go through but i will keep trying.
Old 05-06-19, 03:30 PM   #5
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
the thing is I see the ladder icon left clickand use the s-key to desend? all I keep doing is opening and closing the the hatch there is a lot of nickel and dime bs to go through but i will keep trying.
You can use the mouse wheel to change to an external view and control your guys from that perspective if its easier for you. In first person use w,a,s,d for movement.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 05:35 PM   #6
stoppro
Sonar Guy

I going to leave this for awhile. I was clicking on things and ran into a page with which to dress the crewman . no I am not playing barbi with this.wtf
Old 05-07-19, 09:55 AM   #7
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
I going to leave this for awhile. I was clicking on things and ran into a page with which to dress the crewman . no I am not playing barbi with this.wtf
Great, isn't it? A lot of people love to customize their characters. Just check again, you are even able to rename the officers, give them a certain look, clothing, everything. I for my part love it.

Edit: Post 101, yeah!
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 11:09 AM   #8
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6
Icon1 Editing XLXS files and using console.

This does not warrant a mod imho since the game gets updated daily it seems.
But I've made a guide anyways.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1741765523

Mainly because my career save files didn't load so I had to dig into those files
and figure out about the console just so I could get my game to same level I had it before.

Plus, I loove shenanigans in my single player games.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 08:55 AM   #9
CaptainC
Watch

Downloads: 36

Good tips thanks all o7
CaptainC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 12:30 AM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Hey, what's the latest and or best walk through, since they've made updates to the game?
Old 11-24-23, 11:16 PM   #11
ThatHistoricSailor
Bilge Rat

Location: Curled up in the Battery compartment of a Balao class
Downloads: 5
Support Tactics

I've got several hundred hours put in..always played SH4 to the point my room was entirely dedicated to it. Happy to see more depth in this game and wanted to share a few tips:

1. If you are in shallow water, keep an eye on the top right corner of your depth to keel. If an enemy patrol is coming, you'll spot them before they come upon you. I like to keep my deck awash to hide my profile better..this helps on missions where you need to drop off a spy, weather station, attack a port. Your crew will spot the smoke stacks.
Pause the game, Alarm, rig for silent running(blue lights), assuming you are stopped set telegraph to STOP, set depth to Depth To Keel, set dive planes to manual, turn off gyro, and make sure the radio op is on the hydrophone.

8/10 times this always works. It does feel a bit scary watching an enemy war ship chug over top of you. If they spot you, just floor it and scrap along the bottom. They will have a wide turning radius anyways.

YOU WILL ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE TASK FORCE AT BEAR ISLAND. THIS TACTIC WORKS FANTASTIC WITH EARLY WAR SONAR.

2. Cut it in a 90 when you are about to be charged. Keep a good fair distance, playing with your depth and sound. It works if you go silent running and dive deeper, then cut into a 90 degree angle.
This tactic also works with convoys, especially if a war ship sniffs you out. Of course the idea is to never put yourself into that position in the first place.

A good note with this tactic is if the warship is heading towards or away, you'll be in his hydrophone blind spot. So exploit it by going as quiet as you can to make a good get away.

This also works by just hiding in the convoys rear blindspots until you are ready to strike.

3. When in an encounter where you must surface. Get a fair distance away and put a preference to electric engines (should be the first tick back on the telegraph) deck awash and ride on the electric for awhile. This lowers your chances of being spotted when you surface. Your Diesel engines make lots of noise and will push smoke that attracts attention.

4. Vet your crew. If you get in a high risk situation, one guy freaking out will cause a mess. If he does it once and reveals a bad personality trait, just toss him from the crew. It's not worth keeping him around when you are in a tight situation. After about my 5-6th patrol, I weeded out any anxious ones. A good way to tell if the person you recruit is going to be worth it, just read their little bio.

5. During mine laying missions, avoid encounters and load them mines....I was a noob who didn't know any better.

6. Make sure to have a radio officer on the hydrophone while deck awash or on the surface. It has a greater range than visual sight. I like to manually rotate him at times.

7. Ensure each shift has proper coverage and two floaters. That guy will probably be the sixth person and keep him fresh. I like to sort of give him three hours on, 5 hours of sleep, 3 hours anything and the rest as working where I think I'll need him. I also do it at random with another officer. This way these guys don't get tired quickly but also can cover other jobs needing to be done. Radio man or engineer would be the best option.

Anyways Happy Hunting!
ThatHistoricSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-23, 01:44 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

ThatHistoricSailor! finally on the surface after a 6-year 'silent run'?...with a great first post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-25-23 at 02:05 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-23, 04:21 PM   #13
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatHistoricSailor View Post
I've got several hundred hours put in..always played SH4 to the point my room was entirely dedicated to it. Happy to see more depth in this game and wanted to share a few tips:

Nice list

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote