SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-20, 10:53 AM   #1
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Manual speed input broken

Just getting back into SH3 after a couple of years away. I stuck on Steam version, GWX of course and M.E.P v5. Wide screen mods, updated U-boat models and all the other goodies I would like simply refuse to work.

Anyway, I wanted to go full manual rather than using the weapons officer and I have hit an issue. I enter the ship type, use the stadia to get the distance and enter my best AOB guess. When it comes to speed however I'm screwed. The manual says to lock on the target ship for a minimum of 10 seconds and then click again for the speed to be entered. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure tramp steamers can't do 68 knots.

I tried the torpedo training mission and set up on the medium cargo in that and I'm getting everything from 35 to 111 knots. I tried varying the time a bit from few seconds to 45 seconds and they're all wildly inaccurate.

Any idea what's going on? I don't want to have to resort to the WO again.
Axeman3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 11:16 AM   #2
ChrisPhoenix
Bosun

Downloads: 7

I believe the boat has to be fully stopped for this method to be somewhat accurate. Could this be the issue? But even if it works i found this method to be pretty unreliable. There are other methods to get the targets speed. You can use the ships lengh from the recognition manual for example and put in the speed in the tdc manually.

Or you could mark the targets position on the map two times and use the "315 mehod" or simply measure distance for 10 minutes multiply by 6 and you have the speed in km/h. There are charts in gwx mod on the top left of your map for speed calculation. If map symbols are on, these methods are pretty easy and very accurate. Hope this helps!
ChrisPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 02:21 PM   #3
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 29

Thanks for that, I'll check it out. I couldn't see any obvious way to input a speed guess on the GUI. I'll go have a look now.
Axeman3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 03:16 PM   #4
ChrisPhoenix
Bosun

Downloads: 7

On the "attack map" screen there is a little button where you can set the tdc to manual. Put in speed, angle on bow etc, then switch back to auto mode so the tdc follows the periscope again. Your input should stay. Good hunting!
ChrisPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 04:57 PM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

The TDC button will show red for locked. Green or white for unlock. Make sure it is unlocked. You will be unable to make adjustments.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 06:28 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Did you get better results with the faster targets? As the method relies on range and bearing change to determine how much it moved across the line of sight. The set AOB is applied as a correction for movement along the line of sight. The wild results could be caused by the uboat making small course deviations. The medium cargo is the slowest I believe. So the speed is hidden in the noisy results I suspect. Because it is relying on range primarily, and that is inprecise at long distance, I do not put much faith in the notepad method either.