SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-20, 01:58 AM   #1
CaptainSvenski
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Is this game really superior?

I've read some articles claiming that SH3 is actually a more in-depth,extensive and covering much more of ww2 subbing than SH5.

They do say the result is only achieved by mods,but since SH3 is a lot more moddable and has a lot more you can get, the claim is it actually turns into a better subsim than SH5 once you really stack it up with mods.

The submarine diversity is the most attractive of those probably,since SH5 decided to cut the war short,you don't get access to Type IX and even Type XXI while in SH3 you can play those.

Im personally the type of gamer spoiled by modern graphics,and the ancient look of SH3 just puts me off,not that SH5 has aged perfectly for a 10 year old game but the graphics are just good enough to not trigger eyesores in 2020.

What are the opinions on this from people who have been playing both games,since I have not played SH3 I can't make a valid comparison myself.
CaptainSvenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 07:28 AM   #2
captainadccdacaptain
Gunner

Downloads: 49

First of all, SH3 has far more U-boats and upgrades than SH5.
captainadccdacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:04 AM   #3
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

SH III has aged pretty well, the details on ships and submarines are nice and after all it's a game that you don't expect to see many things like in a shooter or an RTS, you are just out to sea, watching the sea and the sky. So i don't understand what exactly puts you off.
foo_jam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:16 AM   #4
Levyathan89
Soundman

Also, with the necessary modifications, SH 3 doesn't look too ancient imho.

Edit: damn, foo_jam2002 beat me to it
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:30 AM   #5
ChrisPhoenix
Bosun

Downloads: 7

I have played every Silent Hunter from 2 to 5 and i have to say, that 3 is still the best. Recently tried to play SH5 again but was dissapointed very quickly and switched back to SH3. SH4 is fine too, but has a diferent setting. If you want to be an american captain, you can have a great time in this one too.

I guess you can have fun with SH5 and twos mod, but for me, it was a bit too much. Currently playing SH3 with gwx for the first time and i'm loving it.
Yes SH5 looks better, but thats about it. Everything else was just more buggy, more clunky and more dumbed down for my taste.

Now i'm not a guy who needs fancy graphics to get immersed in a game, but if it is that important to you, maybe take a look at "Uboat".
2019 was a great year for subsim games with Uboat and Wolfpack coming out.
Wolfpack will soon be the King of multiplayer subsims. I have no doubt about that. While Uboat shines in singleplayer. In my opinion it is not yet better than Silent Hunter, (state of 06.02.2020) but the devs recently added mod and workshop support and after a few more patches i'm sure it will be.

Until then, Silent Hunter 3 will be the game for me.
ChrisPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:40 AM   #6
Levyathan89
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPhoenix View Post
Now i'm not a guy who needs fancy graphics to get immersed in a game, but if it is that important to you, maybe take a look at "Uboat".
Nah, SH5/TwoS is still better than the current version of UBoat (it's still in open access after all). Like, a lot better.
Old 02-06-20, 12:45 PM   #7
ChrisPhoenix
Bosun

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
Nah, SH5/TwoS is still better than the current version of UBoat (it's still in open access after all). Like, a lot better.
In terms of graphics, i don't think so. In terms of gameplay, i did mention that silent hunter is still better but it is only a matter of time before the modding community will change that.

I dare to say that vanilla unmodded uboat is better than vanilla SH5 tho. It is really the mods that make the difference.
ChrisPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 12:45 PM   #8
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Also, with the necessary modifications, SH 3 doesn't look too ancient imho.

Edit: damn, foo_jam2002 beat me to it
I am sure i wasn't the only one
foo_jam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 02:39 PM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I have played them all.

SH3 has been extremely modded by dedicated fans. You can’t come close to the level of fun things you can add to it compared to the others.

SH5 is beauty and updated with graphics.

SH5 to me tells a more serious story. While SH3 gives you an experience. If I had to compare the two, and if you’re looking for a real story, I would have to go with five.

I am an immersion player, so I love SH5 for its graphics, it’s story, and its ability to suck me into the story and be part of it. That is why I feel this game is the greatest of all time.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 06:43 PM   #10
Chief_WH
Watch

Downloads: 55

Hmm, I've given SH3 another go but I think too much time has passsed.

The soul is still there and the world graphics are tolerable, but the field of view when looking about inside and from the bridge is just too narrow and feels very awkward and dated.

Also the GUI really needs to be HD, I found a well made mod for that but it had way too many swastikas.

(Without the HD mod I also had an annoying bug where clicking the mouse button to change view movement fired a torpedo on the UZO because it seemed to focus on that button).

I wonder how SH4 and 5 are doing these days, it was the 'whole crew' and open world choices of SH3 that I loved so much, I don't recall SH4 and 5 having that sort of freedom? Maybe I'll look into SH4; when I tried SH5 some time ago it just made my head hurt the amount of mods that seemed to be required and I don't think I want to go down that hole again...
Chief_WH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 07:27 PM   #11
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I’m not even going to grace that question with an answer!

Shame on you!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 03:21 AM   #12
Levyathan89
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_WH View Post
I found a well made mod for that but it had way too many swastikas.

Hahaha, yeah, that's Ahnenerbe (a German word that one can only utter in a over the top Hitler kind of way - AHHNENÄRRRRBE)'s 1920*1080 GUI.

There is another HD GUI, though: It's called The Magui:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=166320

There's a special version available for GWX afaik.
Old 02-11-20, 02:06 PM   #13
Chief_WH
Watch

Downloads: 55

Quote:
Hahaha, yeah, that's Ahnenerbe (a German word that one can only utter in a over the top Hitler kind of way - AHHNENÄRRRRBE)'s 1920*1080 GUI.

There is another HD GUI, though: It's called The Magui:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=166320

There's a special version available for GWX afaik.

Thanks, I'll check that out befor giving up on SH3.

Edit. I can't find it in the SH3 mods, am I just missing it?

Edit. Think I found it; I found the 'search mods' bit not the 'search forum' bit I was using by mistake

Last edited by Chief_WH; 02-11-20 at 02:16 PM.
Chief_WH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 04:23 PM   #14
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

The main killer of SH3 is his inability to use more RAM. If you are using mod like WAC then it's really painful to play. Otherwise, SH3 is superior to SH5 in many aspects. Just remember SH5 is an incomplete product when they launched.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 05:06 AM   #15
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
The main killer of SH3 is his inability to use more RAM. If you are using mod like WAC then it's really painful to play. Otherwise, SH3 is superior to SH5 in many aspects. Just remember SH5 is an incomplete product when they launched.
hmm.
Well Wolfes of Steel Mega Mod is awesome. The only thing missing, is that you don`t have to manage your crew and that earlier Uboats like IIA/D and a few upgrades are not available.

The Radio channels are also an awesome plus in that mod.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote