SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-11, 09:09 PM   #961
LastPurifier
Nub

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default game freeze at the very moment when the target is about to be declared sunk

Hi guys!

I'm experiencing a peculiar freeze in the game at the very moment when the the target (enemy ship -> merchant) is about to be declared sunk. I have tested several of my saves with and without any mods activated and the bug persists. Every time i perforate a poor merchant ship, and it catches nicely on fire (thanks to those skilled modders) the "terminal shot" which kills the ship due to some buggy irony makes my screen freeze and audio goes in a loop. I can, however Ctrl-Alt-Delete to Task Man to kill SH5. This happens during TOTAL GERMANY / BRITISH COASTAL WATERS (I'm overambitious having sunk over 100000 tons of allied shipping on realistic )

- I have latest drivers for all of my rig's components
- I have tested realoading from several saves before (read=many hours of gaming time) this occurence and it eventually happens!
- tested with / without mods - same result
I thought it might have been the sequence of mods activated in JSGME

I'm running a rig packed with Core i7 920, 6GB DDR3, RADEON HD5770, ASUS XONAR D2 and Win 7 x64

Mods i use:
NewUIs_TDC_6_3_7_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_jimimadrids_map_tools
sobers realistic hydrophone operator
Adv Shift key 2.1
GWX Compass Rose Grid
MCCD_1.04
MightyFine Less Annoying Footsteps
SteelVikings Interior Mod
Accurate German Flags
Old Style Explosions
NauticalWolfs Torpedo Textures
Feared Hunters
U-boat historical specs
SteelViking underwater mod
Morale Mod
AilSmoke
Enhanced Funnel Smoke
Capthelms SH5 Audio Mod

Thanks for any suggestions

(I have tried to go through 63 pages of this thread, but after 20 i tendered my capitulation. Very good source of info though )

Last edited by LastPurifier; 03-01-11 at 09:23 PM.
LastPurifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 06:42 AM   #962
Ingolf
Nub

Downloads: 25
Default Mission Editor 2

Sorry if this is an old issue, but I searched the forums for an hour and could not find any answers.

The mission editor 2 (SH5) generates an exception error related to ship properties and I can't solve it. I use Xp SP3 and .NET 4.0 so I wonder if anybody has a workaround for this issue? Below is the error I get when in Mission Editor trying to add a Sub.

Grateful for any assistance, ahoy!

Quote:
************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External component has thrown an exception.
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle._GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.RuntimeType.PrivateGetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Type.GetType(String typeName)...
Ingolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 06:47 AM   #963
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

No clue on the error, but make sure the editor is set to have the player on the axis side, not allied or you cannot add subs in the game as it will consider that you try to add a german sub to the allied side.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 10:19 AM   #964
Ingolf
Nub

Thanks for reply Magnum.

Yes, I know about that issue. I also re-installed SH5. Still the same problem.
I can add a IIVC sub, but as soon as this has been done, there are no properties showing, and if I double click on the newly added unit (or any unit) it will generate an error dialog box (with info stated above). I can however click "continue" and the editor still responds, so it is not a real crash, but rather a routine that can not be ignored since it controls the whole purpose of the editor, so there is no way to go from there, except quit.

I have run the editors for SHIII & SHIV without problem, and they still work on my machine. Are people running .NET 4.0 together with Mission Editor 2?
Old 03-02-11, 11:09 AM   #965
Zedi
Sea Lord

This reminds me of a very lame incident when I was not able to click on any unit. Also got all kinda errors and I got very pissed off until I saw that the hand tool was active .. was a pure /double facepalm moment.

Im sure is not the case now, so dunno what else to say.
Old 03-02-11, 12:23 PM   #966
Ingolf
Nub

Hehe, no, it is not the case here - even tho I wish it was
I do remember having some trouble with SHIII editor (similar) years and years ago, but can't remember how I solved that one. Probably a forum tip somwhere.

Anyway, I've retired back to SHIV for the moment since that's where I'm sinking most tonnage at the moment. It's a shame though, since I wanted to give SHV a fair chance despite all public negativity. Perhaps I'll solve it without knowing it later on... (seem to be the case with 50% of my problems )

If anyone else has encountered this problem (and solved it), please let me know.

Cheers for reply Magnum!
Old 03-07-11, 07:42 PM   #967
UBOOT_fan
Bosun

Downloads: 89
Default Horrible "stripes"

1. I noticed when you look at the ocean from an angle there are some ..."invisible" horrible stripes (I saw them in one picture guy from here somewhere, too) . You can notice them if you look closely only! They appear only if you look at see in an angle , if you rotate yourself with 180 degrades , they disappear. Are they from game or is my graphic board ? I have a GeForce 8800GTS 512MB , and I use Win XP SP3 and use 1280x1024 resolution (I still have a 17" CRT monitor). I would've remembered if those stripes were in SH4. I'm positive there aren't there so I don't think it's my graphic card.
Other game work and look fine (new ones or older), too.
Does anyone know what are those stripes and where they come from ?

2. They say that they solved with the 2 patches "the people walking on the deck in flames" thing, but that's not true, I notice.

3. The engine sound, when you are at the periscope, sometimes stays the same as if I use full throttle even if I use "ahead slow" or any other speed.

4. Sometimes (only saving and reloading worked for me for that) when you hover the mouse for info on the map or when you are at the attack periscope doesn't work . It's annoying to get yourself not seeing the info when you want to lock a target which you can't see its speed and range.
UBOOT_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 06:07 AM   #968
Zedi
Sea Lord

1 Some reports says that v-sync solve the problem.
2 -3 After a fresh install, patched, only with stock game these things not happens. Personally I suspect some mods "unlocking" these bugs, but have no clue which ones.
4 If this happens after you used the Shift-Z combo to hide the UI, press it twice to have everything back. Sometimes the map notes and some icons are now shown after using the full screen shortcut, but pressing for the second time Shift-Z solves the problem.
Old 03-08-11, 08:13 PM   #969
UBOOT_fan
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
1 Some reports says that v-sync solve the problem.
2 -3 After a fresh install, patched, only with stock game these things not happens. Personally I suspect some mods "unlocking" these bugs, but have no clue which ones.
4 If this happens after you used the Shift-Z combo to hide the UI, press it twice to have everything back. Sometimes the map notes and some icons are now shown after using the full screen shortcut, but pressing for the second time Shift-Z solves the problem.
Thank you very much, good tips ! Much appreciated!

Update
I checked the V sync, it won't work.

The login screen tells me to check user and password. WTF ??? Is the servers down or what ? I played for hours and now this...

Last edited by UBOOT_fan; 03-09-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 01:43 PM   #970
Jaguar
Officer

Downloads: 27

Just realized there is a huge, scandalous, historical mistake in SH5 which threats to put the entire game to shame.

Looking at South America in the map one can see Brasilia as Brazil´s capital. That´s correct, but only after April 22, 1960. The city didn´t even exist in 1940 (it was constructed during the 50s) at which time Rio de Janeiro was the country´s national capital.

This is the kind of stuff they teach you in elementary school...

Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 04:56 AM   #971
UBOOT_fan
Bosun

Default what happens after realoading a save

I noticed if you reload a save...there are OTHER ships, with GUNS.... When I play before the second patch I don't remember that anomaly. Is this normal ?
Old 03-11-11, 11:21 AM   #972
Jaguar
Officer

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBOOT_fan View Post
I noticed if you reload a save...there are OTHER ships, with GUNS.... When I play before the second patch I don't remember that anomaly. Is this normal ?
Unfortunatelly it seems so. I saved while in a most annoying "dance" with a destroyer on a moderately windy night. When reloaded destroyer was gone and a storm was in course. Not sure I disliked that ...
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 10:37 PM   #973
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Any one else have shadows like this after a ship explosion ?
Check my sig for the mods i use .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 08:39 PM   #974
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262
Default A few questions

So I'm getting settled in SH5 which is new to me.

I've got a few mod questions. Do mods for the following issues exist?

1. Something to make your point of view while moving around the sub smoother and slower. It's very jerky when I look around the control room for instance.

2. What is the verdict on the stadimeter? It doesn't appear to be accurate. When I tested it in game by measuring actual range on the navmap it didn't correspond with my stad readings no matter where I measured it from.

3. Ships that are hit with torps catch fire EVERYWHERE. Is there a mod that tones down the fire. I just don't think EVERY ship would catch fire EVERYWHERE, EVERY TIME.

I'm running the following mods already.

1 NewUIs_TDC_6_3_7_TDW
2 U-boat Historical Specifications
3 IRAI_0_0_30_TDW
4 MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt w beards
5 Real Environment MOD
5a Better Explosions V1.1
Trevally Tutorials - All v0.2 (for TDW UI)
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 01:43 AM   #975
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
So I'm getting settled in SH5 which is new to me.

I've got a few mod questions. Do mods for the following issues exist?

1. Something to make your point of view while moving around the sub smoother and slower. It's very jerky when I look around the control room for instance.
try to lower you in game video settings (put shadows at halh for example, lower a bit the particle density, try to lower antialiasing) and try also the antilag

2. What is the verdict on the stadimeter? It doesn't appear to be accurate. When I tested it in game by measuring actual range on the navmap it didn't correspond with my stad readings no matter where I measured it from.

i am using the stadimeter with the same tdw ui and i have acurate readings... i dunno if you use the wright scope mode for your monitor resolution for example

3. Ships that are hit with torps catch fire EVERYWHERE. Is there a mod that tones down the fire. I just don't think EVERY ship would catch fire EVERYWHERE, EVERY TIME.
try to use the fix mod by tdwhttp://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174511 in my game i have not this issue but i am not sure wich mod do that

I'm running the following mods already.

1 NewUIs_TDC_6_3_7_TDW
2 U-boat Historical Specifications
3 IRAI_0_0_30_TDW
4 MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt w beards
5 Real Environment MOD
5a Better Explosions V1.1
Trevally Tutorials - All v0.2 (for TDW UI)
read in yellow pls

regards
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote