SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-05, 03:02 AM   #1
steve_G2
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Installed Pacific Aces..but SH2 is no different.

Hi,

I've just installed Pacific Aces, but the game is no different, it's still the North Atlantic U-Boat game. I followed the steps below when installing PA, but there is no .exe file in the Pacific Aces/Sim folder. There is a file with the same submarine icon as the standard .exe file, but that just leads the the Pekin Flotilla U-Boat mission.

After installing Pacific Aces (and the PA 1.1 patch) two icons appeared on my desktop for the game. One now just causes a screen blanker, and the other searches hopelessly for sh2.exe.

Help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B) Users of Subsim�s official package:

First make a clean install of SH2, and rename the folder to �Pacific Aces� or whatever name you prefer.
-Install the official 1.1 patch
-If you wish, you can now install Vicker�s mods ( PA does not provide this)
-If you wish, you can now install Projekt Messerswetzer ( PA does not provide this)
-Install the Pacific Aces mod from the executable utility, pointing to your �Pacific Aces� folder.
You are done!

In both installations you can create a shortcut on your desktop to start the game, pointing to the file �SH2.exe� that is located in the �Pacific Aces/Sim� folder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
steve_G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 11:23 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The installer has to be used carefully because it creates by default a new folder called "Pacific Aces" !!

The most common error is not checking in the installer if the correct path is selected, so when all PA files go into a new subfolder created inside SH2 (And not into the various subfolders of SH2) there is an error when starting PA, or either you still get the old SH2 when using the SH2.exe, because the PA files have in fact NOT overwritten the old SH2 ones, but have been installed to a new folder instead

Check inside your SH2 folder (The one you prepared for PA), and if you see a folder called "Pacific Aces" or "Silent Hunter II" which also has inside "sim", "shell", etc. folders, then you installed it wrong
Old 12-17-05, 01:50 PM   #3
steve_G2
Swabbie

Ok. So now I'm confused. The instructions tell me to rename the folder to Pacific Aces, then you say not to put everything in the Pacific Aces folder, but the install creates a Pacific Aces folder by default?

So where exactly do I install the Pacific Aces files to?
Old 12-17-05, 03:29 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

1. Clean Install of SH2, and rename the folder to 'Pacific Aces' or whatever name you prefer.
2. Install the official SH2 Patch 1.1
3. Install Vicker's mods
4. Install Project Messerwetzer to avoid some Janus errors
5. Install PA 1.0, pointing to your 'Pacific Aces' folder.
6. Install PA patch 1.1
7. Install new PA Sound 1.1
8. Install glitche fix patch that includes optional dive bubble for Project Messerwetzer

Art Anker

P.S. Be sure everything installs to your 'Pacific Aces' folder
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 04:30 PM   #5
steve_G2
Swabbie

That's exactly how I installed it originally, as I said in my first post on the subject.
Old 12-17-05, 08:20 PM   #6
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

No offence, but all I can think of is be sure it installs to:

C:/Program Files/SSI/Pacific Aces

NOT: C:/Program Files/SSI/Pacific Aces/Silent Hunter II/Pacific Aces

Art Anker
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-05, 12:45 AM   #7
steve_G2
Swabbie

No offence taken, I should apologise for being a bit snappy. I spent the other week trying to get SH1 to work, and in the end had to use an old computer, and I've just spent this week trying to get SH2 work ...and now I've finally got it working I can't get the Pacific Ace mod to work...so I'm kinda short on patience with the whole Silent Hunter thing right now!

The program files/ssi/pacifc aces is exactly where I installed to. I can't workout what's wrong. :hmm:

Thanks anyway for you help.
Old 12-18-05, 04:40 AM   #8
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

OK, excuse me because I talked out of my memory, as I don't have SH2 currently installed on this PC. Now I have checked it again with the PA installer and have noted the path it will install by default.

What I meant before:

When you start the PA installer, it will by default try to install at:

C:\Program Files\SSI\Silent Hunter II

But if you try to give it another path, like for example:

C:\Program Files\SSI\Pacific Aces

It will BY DEFAULT automatically try to create a "Silent Hunter II" folder, so if you browsed to your "Pacific Aces" folder, the installer will now be showing this line as install path:

C:\Program Files\SSI\Pacific Aces\Silent Hunter II

This is what you must avoid!! Because ot will create a "Silent Hunter II" folder inside your "Pacific Aces" folder, and install all the PA files in that subfolder, where the SH2 engine can't find them.

So, in conclusion and to make it easier, this is what you have to do:

-Make the clean install of SH2 wherever you want

-When you start the PA installer and get the porp up screen that says: "Destination Folder" "C:\Program Files\SSI\Silent Hunter II" and has a "Browse" button on the right, click that browse button, choose your desired folder in the mini-explorer window that opens and MAKE SURE that in the path set in the line on the top of that window the installer does NOT add a "\Silent Hunter II" behind the path of the folder you chose.

You CAN manually edit the path by clicking with the mouse on it, and typing or deleting anything.

When you click OK return and return to the previous screen, the "Destination Folder" should be something like "C:\Program Files\SSI\Pacific Aces", and NOT "C:\Program Files\SSI\Pacific Aces\Silent Hunter II"

Hope you get it working this time
Old 12-19-05, 12:29 PM   #9
steve_G2
Swabbie

Now that's done the trick, thanks!

Just one other quick thing, I installed all the patches and suchlike, but the engine room dials and periscope are still from the U-Boat. :hmm:
Old 12-19-05, 04:51 PM   #10
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Use either 800x600 or 1024x768 res in the options menu, because 640x480 is not supported and will show the old german interface