SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-05, 01:38 PM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone have CAOD running under Win XP Pro (SP2)?

I have been playing AOD 1.2 DOS with DOSBOX under Win XP Pro SP2.

However, I wanted to try out the CAOD to see how it runs and picked up a copy off of Ebay.

I had hoped maybe to run it on my laptop and get sound working (since it has built-in sound).

I cannot get it to run under XP on my desktop or laptop. I get an "not enough memory error". I have set all EXEs to Win95 compatibility with 256 colors. When I boot my desktop into Win98 SE, it runs fine (but with -s for no sound).

Anyone know how to resolve the memory problem under XP and if built-in sound on a laptop can be made to work?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-05, 09:55 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The memory problem in XP is a bit bizarre...I recall having CAOD working on my PC before upgrading to SP2, so it worked with XP SP1. I have reserved an old laptop for these games I am no longer able to play on my current PC, and yes, CAOD sound works fine with a mainboard soundcard. The trick is to make the game really believe your laptop has a Soundblaster. Some onboard sound cards do add optionally (Or at least do tell you in the manual how to do it) some lines in command.com executable, in order to force Windows to treat them as a SB card. Which card do you have on your laptop? :hmm: If you provide some details I can try to see if my configuration is of any use to you
Old 08-16-05, 06:52 PM   #3
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Thanks for your response.

I suspect the "not enough memory error" is actually the result of too much physical memory. My desktop has 1024Mb and my laptop has 512Mb. However, when I boot Win98 SE on my desktop, I think I had set my memory in the SYSTEM.INI to less than 512Mb, since Win98 SE also has problems with too much memory.

The laptop's Device Manager says the sound device is a "Sigma Tel C Major" ... whatever that is. It is a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop.

Fortunately, AOD 1.2 [DOS] runs very nicely under DOSBOX 0.63. So, getting CAOD was more of an experiment than anything else.

---

I also have SH1 running under WinXP Pro SP2 with VDMS. I had tried DOSBOX which worked but the world view updates were very slow. The only problem with XP/VDMS is vertical refresh is at 60Hz (with no way via XP or legacy DOS utilities to force it to anything else). It's not too bad at such a low resolution, 640x480. And, of course, if you do it on a laptop or LCD, then 60Hz wouldn't matter anyway.
Old 08-16-05, 11:31 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
I suspect the "not enough memory error" is actually the result of too much physical memory. My desktop has 1024Mb and my laptop has 512Mb. However, when I boot Win98 SE on my desktop, I think I had set my memory in the SYSTEM.INI to less than 512Mb, since Win98 SE also has problems with too much memory.

I think you are very accurate in your assumption about the physical memory. The computer I use has 1 gb of memory in it and I'm unable to run CAOD. However, if I install CAOD on my kid's computer which has 512 mb of memory, CAOD will play perfectly. Write it up to the time that CAOD came out when 512 mb of memory was concidered the max at the time.

cdrsubron7 :hmm:
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 08:51 AM   #5
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Hmm, maybe when I get a chance I'll see if there is someway to dynamically reduce physical memory in XP.

As a test, I suppose I might reduce memory reported in the laptop's BIOS. However, I would not want to have to mess with the BIOS every time to play a game. Then if the BIOS adjustment worked, then maybe I can search for some utility software to do that.

---

I currently use MO'SLO for some older games like Sid Meier's Gettysburg. It allows map scrolling to take place smoothly. It's very nice under XP, since you can just reduce CPU available to the game process without slowing down everything else running.
Old 09-03-05, 02:47 PM   #6
Nate8thcvi
Watch

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
Fortunately, AOD 1.2 [DOS] runs very nicely under DOSBOX 0.63.
MarkShot,

Can you explain how you got AOD 1.2 to run with DOSBOX 0.63? I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not sure what you use for sound settings.

Nate
Nate8thcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 10:50 AM   #7
Nate8thcvi
Watch

Downloads: 26

Markshot,

I guess what I'm looking for, most of all, are step-by-step instructions for manually adding the expansion and manually adding the 1.2 upgrade. I've been trying my very best, but I guess I still don't understand how to manually unchunk the files and all that stuff.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please post step-by-step how you got AOD to work from the very beginning installation to the configuration with DOSBOX 0.63?

Many, many thanks.

Nathan
Nate8thcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 08:57 PM   #8
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Responded via PM.
Old 12-17-05, 12:23 AM   #9
sam3d
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Here's how. I do it.

Try hte following:
Make sure the whole directory is in the C:\ dirive, not in any sub dir, IE c:\program files\
then make sure you run it in compatibility mode with win 95.
Lastly Make sure you click on the run in 256 colors.

this has woked for me every time with several diff, computers.

Sam
sam3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 06:04 AM   #10
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

I played it changing my deskopt colour to 256 colours.