SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-10, 04:19 PM   #346
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking View Post
ok I opened the documentation on an old macbook pro that still had word installed on it, but now I'm confused about ship height. In the user guide, it looks like you line up a little grey line in the stadimeter tool to get the "height". It says:

"As you can see the ship is about 11.2 degrees high."

But, the ship is not 11.2 degrees high, since the tallest mast looks to be just under 8 degrees on the next page - so is this an error in the guide, or am I to understand that you get the ship's "height" from seeing where that grey marking line lines up with the degree marks (while the mirror image's water line is lined up with the tallest mast of the real ship image)?

When you line up the fake ship's waterline with the real ship's tallest mast, you will see that thin grey line move (along with various other elements more or less) as you can see in the image, it points at approximately 11.2
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 05:38 PM   #347
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

ok, that's what I was seeing in the manual, but the text stated that the ship's "height" was 11.2, which is not the case - the tallest ship mast only went up to around the 8 degree mark, and that's why I was confused and not sure if there was a typo or something. So from now on I'll use that grey line as a marker for the value to match up with ship height in the rec manual (on the outer ring) jeez this is complicated.

Actually I tried a Night attack, and the grey marker was of course not visible on my LCD screen. I assume this is normal and night attacks naturally involve this handicap?

Last edited by supposedtobeworking; 04-04-10 at 12:30 AM.
supposedtobeworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 08:35 AM   #348
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Sorry for the late reply...
You'll have to understand that the tutorial was done with different pics taken at different times.

As I recall, during night time, the movable stadimeter line is shown in green. That thing is hard-coded so don't blame me if you can't see it . If your laptop has a dark display, just bump up the gamma or brightness. There's no point in shooting blind

And yes, the AOBF works the same as in OLC or other mods. It only works for 6X zoom and you never need to double values. In the tutorial I used the word "degrees" quite liberally. The attack periscope marks are actually in 10's of miliradians.

Just in case you're curios (but ignore this for AOBF calculations), each notch equals 2 "degrees", each "degree" equals 0.57 degrees.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 12:57 PM   #349
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

okay thanks for the info. At night the only green line I can see in the stadimeter tool is the one at the base of the keel of the mirror image - there is no other line further up running through the upper part of the ship image's profile, so I assume I need to change some gamma settings I guess somewhere.
supposedtobeworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 01:33 AM   #350
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking View Post
okay thanks for the info. At night the only green line I can see in the stadimeter tool is the one at the base of the keel of the mirror image - there is no other line further up running through the upper part of the ship image's profile, so I assume I need to change some gamma settings I guess somewhere.
"base of the keel"? You're doing this wrong.
In SH4, as long as you're locked on a ship, you don't need to put the horizontal line on the waterline of your target. You just need to put the mirrored waterline on top of the mast of the real target. It doesn't matter where they're placed vertically (or horizontally) on your viewfinder. They can be above or below the center of your scope.
The amount of vertical displacement is then given by the moving horizontal line, relative to the center of your scope.

I actually never leave the periscope centered on my target when doing a stadimeter reading because the horizontal line obstructs my view.
In the picture you posted a few posts back, the real ship was beneath the center line. That's why the mirrored waterline appears beneath the moving line.
Old 04-11-10, 04:35 AM   #351
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Since I haven't done so already, a big thank you to karamazovnew for this great interface!

What I didn't get while using it, is the procedure for using the UZO. Or do I always have to aim through the periscope?

Also, my recognition manual does not give me the length of ships.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 05:49 AM   #352
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer View Post
Since I haven't done so already, a big thank you to karamazovnew for this great interface!

What I didn't get while using it, is the procedure for using the UZO. Or do I always have to aim through the periscope?

Also, my recognition manual does not give me the length of ships.
KiUB only touches the Attack Periscope. The UZO and Obs Scope are pure vanilla. I don't understand why you can't see the length in the manual. Open up your ship cfg files and see if the Max Speed value is the same as the Length value for all.
Old 04-11-10, 06:31 AM   #353
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

I understand it now. The reason was that I have overwritten menu.txt with a german one. Therefore it complete evaded me that you have replaced speed with length.

2019=Länge: <- had to be changed
2020=ENTFERNUNG
2021=Tiefgang:
2022=Mast:
2024=Grad:
2026=Entfernung:
2027=m;Meter
2028=t;Tonnen
2029=m <- had to be changed

Since this is easy to fix, I publish my german menu.txt as a quick solution for german captains. It's the original file from the german UBM 1.5, with lenght / meters corrected as described above. In addition it contains a handful of other corrections I made [ fixes the most glaring mistakes: e.g. 'COMSUBPAC' replaced with 'FdU', 'Nach:' replaced with 'An:', 'Anblasen' instead of 'Ausblasen', 'Torpedos' instad of 'Torpedoes', ... ]

The text strings still need additional work, so I wouldn't mind if some people publish their corrections as well. With some additional work it could be used as a small add-in to OMEGU, for people who prefer the german text.

download: http://www.global-explorer.de/201004...t_Quickfix.zip (JSGME compatible)

Old 04-11-10, 06:59 AM   #354
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
I understand it now. The reason was that I have overwritten menu.txt with a german one. Therefore it complete evaded me that you have replaced speed with length.

2019=Länge: <- had to be changed
2020=ENTFERNUNG
2021=Tiefgang:
2022=Mast:
2024=Grad:
2026=Entfernung:
2027=m;Meter
2028=t;Tonnen
2029=m <- had to be changed

Since this is easy to fix, I publish my german menu.txt as a quick solution for german captains. It's the original file from the german UBM 1.5, with lenght / meters corrected as described above. In addition it contains a handful of other corrections I made [ fixes the most glaring mistakes: e.g. 'COMSUBPAC' replaced with 'FdU', 'Nach:' replaced with 'An:', 'Anblasen' instead of 'Ausblasen', 'Torpedos' instad of 'Torpedoes', ... ]

The text strings still need additional work, so I wouldn't mind if some people publish their corrections as well. With some additional work it could be used as a small add-in to OMEGU, for people who prefer the german text.

download: http://www.global-explorer.de/201004...t_Quickfix.zip (JSGME compatible)
Actually Lurker did those Why not send your file to him, other german players might need it and it would be easier to find on the OMEGU thread
Old 04-11-10, 07:06 AM   #355
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Sure, I just wanted to make sure it doesn't create additional problems.

Old 04-11-10, 07:16 AM   #356
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Sure, I just wanted to make sure it doesn't create additional problems.
Don't worry, I used this method for TMO almost one year ago
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153143

Nobody cared at the time though.
The only "problem" is that in the Mission Editor the Max Speed box for ships will show very high values. But that value is for visual reference only. Nothing else is affected because the speeds for ships are not taken from the cfg file but from a dat file.
Old 04-11-10, 09:02 AM   #357
Keelbuster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
KiUB only touches the Attack Periscope. The UZO and Obs Scope are pure vanilla. I don't understand why you can't see the length in the manual. Open up your ship cfg files and see if the Max Speed value is the same as the Length value for all.
Any way we could get the TDC firing control panels added to the UZO and OBS scope? I recognize that adding the range finding tools to the UZO might be problematic because of the different shape fo the scope, but perhaps we could just have access to the firing solution panels (AoB, speed, range, FaT settings, etc) in the UZO - right now it's basically useles because it just has that rotten data pad tool.

I guess I like the UZO for night time surface attacks - you can see a bit more clearly than through the periscope and it has that 'on the bridge' feel.
Old 04-11-10, 09:15 AM   #358
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Well, tbh I would like to see that, too. I just didn't dare to ask

Old 04-11-10, 12:39 PM   #359
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I have already done that to the Observation periscope easily, simply by renumbering all entries with find/replace from G26 to G2B and copying the (Also renamed) entries for the dials, making a new background image and then a new reticle and clearer lense.

But ideally karamazov should offer it himself so we have an official version with all AOB disk/stadimeter eliminated for Obs Scope and UZO. I haven't been lucky so far in getting them correctly out
Old 04-13-10, 11:58 AM   #360
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I have already done that to the Observation periscope easily, simply by renumbering all entries with find/replace from G26 to G2B and copying the (Also renamed) entries for the dials, making a new background image and then a new reticle and clearer lense.

But ideally karamazov should offer it himself so we have an official version with all AOB disk/stadimeter eliminated for Obs Scope and UZO. I haven't been lucky so far in getting them correctly out
I have to admit, I didn't expect for SH5 to be such of a letdown (so far). I might've taken the extra step to bring all items to the other pages. All 3 pages work exactly the same anyway... And I've marked all "new" and "old" items to know what and how to renumber. The problem is that a lot of people feel comfortable with the Notepad (or, better said, don't know how to use the AOBF). Plus, in the game, the Obs Scope and the Attack Scope are exactly the same with no penalty for the bigger wake. And surface attacks are quite rare. And unlike in SH3, the UZO doesn't have a stabilizer. I've spent a lot of time making the proper camera settings for the AP and a good mix of visibility by adding a filter that changes color from black during the day, to light green during the night, giving very good night visibility.

Unfortunately I'm busy with I.M.O officer courses and don't have the time to either play or mod the game On the bright side, they're more fun than the game I've just finished 2 hours swimming in an Anti-Exposure suit and playing with life-rafts today. I felt like a kid in a candy-store.

Sorry, had to tell someone
So Hitman and the rest of you guys, don't wait for silly permissions from me, go ahead, mod the rest of the screens, you now also have the SH5 Menu Editor. On the other hand, SH5 will probably get better soon, so it might be a better idea to just import KiUB in it directly.