SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-08, 08:19 PM   #1
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1
Default Torpedo Settings?

First let me start by saying that I'm running OM with TMO and RSRDC and the U-boat enabler (wow, that's a lot of acronyms) and all the required patches to the mods.

January of '42, in my IXD off the coast of Cape Hatteras in good weather...(ahh, good to be back, Amerikaners ) and I see a fat T3 tanker heading my way. A quick check of my recognition manual gives me a keel depth of 10.7 m. So I load up my fire control screen and going back to my knowlege of the SH3 days, I set my magnetic detonators on my G7a's and set the run depth to a half meter deeper to 11.3 m. Fire tubes 1-4! Torpedoes los!

...they all run right under the damn ship.

Ok, let's try this again...I reload my save, set them to 11 meters.

...they all run right under the keel without any explosions again.

So my question to you all is: What settings are you all using? Are you even using the magnetic pistols? I thought they were somewhat more reliable after the Norwegian campaign? Have these mods done something to them? Are my torpedoes running deeper than they should, a la the Fleet Subs in the Pacific?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 11:39 PM   #2
Vorkapitan
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 1367
Uploads: 0

I'm having same problem....Look up depth of ship say 19. I set torp for 18...it goes under ship.

Set torp fo 15....it goes under ship.

Joe
Vorkapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 11:51 PM   #3
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

Watch your torpedo depth setting when you press the lock key to lock target. I see the depth setting change to a much deeper setting. This is very anoying bug, especially when doing a correct underwater attack with minimal periscope exposure.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 11:57 PM   #4
Vorkapitan
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 1367

Thanks for the "heads up".

I'll have to check it out!! :hmm:

Joe
Vorkapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 09:16 AM   #5
BottomGun
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Vorkapitan,

Yes, I've encountered the same annoying bug as mentioned by PYTHOS. With my GATO Class submarine, prior to engagements, I routinely check all ten of my tubes to ensure they are set for HIGH speed, magnetic detonation, ZERO degree spread angle, and 7m depth.

When the bug occurs, I've noticed it randomly sets a deeper depth (i.e., up toward 20 or 25m) when a refresh of the LOCK is performed (i.e., the RED button on the TDC is pressed twice). Obviously, this is way too deep for any ship including tankers and even Huge Passenger Liners of 18,760 tons.

Unlike your reported experience, though, I've only experienced this happening on the first torpedo fired in a spread (irrelevant of which tube I had selected). I've not experienced it happening to the 2nd or subsequent torpedoes as you had mentioned.

PS - I also have the U-BOAT Missions pack installed so I don't know if that may account for some of the difference.
BottomGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 10:11 AM   #6
maerean_m
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos
Watch your torpedo depth setting when you press the lock key to lock target. I see the depth setting change to a much deeper setting. This is very anoying bug, especially when doing a correct underwater attack with minimal periscope exposure.
When the manual targeting is off, locking on a ship sets the torpedo depth to the target's draft minus 1 (you can test that by bringing up the manual (press N)). It's by design, so it doesn't go under.

If it does go under, then the value in the manual is wrong OR setting a torpedo depth doesn't work at all.
Old 06-12-08, 04:31 AM   #7
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

It also might be related to torpedo malfunctions... torpedoes running deeper than intended.

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 02:38 PM   #8
UnderseaLcpl
Silent Hunter

Don't use mag pistols. Every merchantman worth torpedoing is 3m and every destroyer is 1.5
If you're going to fire more than one torpedo at a ship there's no point in using mags anyway. Impact will sink it fine.

I stole this sig from Task Force
UnderseaLcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 12:39 AM   #9
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

I don't think this is a bug, it is actually a feature related to automatic TDC. I have had great luck with mag pistols when re-locking a target. This is to an extent acurate seeing as the depth set by the computer matches the depth of the keel of the target in the ID book.

I had my try with manual targeting and frankly found it a little too involved. Remember you had a plotting crew that worked out the firing solution.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 10:26 PM   #10
Farinhir
Loader

Downloads: 154

I have a question about torpedo settings. I know where to find the settings on the attack map, but no matter what I try I am unable to change from slow to medium or fast torpedo speed. This is getting annoying for me.

I am running the following mods.
NSM
Enviromental 4.4
RFB for 1.5
RSRD with patches
OM for RFB with patches

Thanks for the help... maybe you can clear up if this is a fixable issue or not. I have tried to change settings with no mods running and still no dice.
Farinhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 11:10 PM   #11
Orion2012
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farinhir
I have a question about torpedo settings. I know where to find the settings on the attack map, but no matter what I try I am unable to change from slow to medium or fast torpedo speed. This is getting annoying for me.

I am running the following mods.
NSM
Enviromental 4.4
RFB for 1.5
RSRD with patches
OM for RFB with patches

Thanks for the help... maybe you can clear up if this is a fixable issue or not. I have tried to change settings with no mods running and still no dice.
Should be on the attack map for Uboats and on the PK for fleet boats
Orion2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 11:34 PM   #12
Farinhir
Loader

Downloads: 154

deleted by author

Last edited by Farinhir; 08-15-08 at 02:07 AM.
Farinhir is offline   Reply With Quote