SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-21, 11:30 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Tennis Elbow 4

The best is back.

Part 3 dates back to 2013, and graphics showed it, but the game has always been known to be the probably - and by far - most realistic tennis simulation ever made. Realism is to be understood here by the dynamics of the running matchk, both over the fuill matcjh anmd the actual ball exchnage. If you have ever played a bit of tennis, then you know that in a givne situation with its multidude of dynamic factors, these dynmcis limit what kind of thiugns, tricks and smashes you can successfully try, and with precision, and which not. You cannot just play just any kind of killer strike from just any situation, that is not possible.

Over a match, concentration, stamina, breath may see ups and downs, too. Psychic factors.

All that is in this game. The new version, still best played with mouse (imo at least), reallky brings back memories, because it presents me with the same kind of limitations and obstacles as the real sports did. I played it not for long, only a few years in my late teens and early 20s, but I always liked it. Its a superb sports, btw, and a full and complete training, like swimming, boxing.

I waited for the new version since years. It now is out on Steam as Early Access, which is a bit ironic considering that it already was available as Early Access since years from the programmer's website (yeah, its a single lone wolf coding it). From his website, you can get the free demo.

https://www.managames.com/Forum/topic7-33239.php

Visually, it is improved, though still not a AAA+ graphics game, but it does a good enough job. The gameplay however is where this title again scores heavily, very heavily indeed. The gameplay is in my book: BRILLIANT. Yes, this is tennis, this is nothing else, this is no downgraded foul compromise adaptation, but this is how it feels if you have to stay in a whole set or match, the dynamci interactions, the pressure, the runs you might have, or the opponent frustrating you by not leaving you the time you need to set up your shots with better power and accuracy. This is tennis, as close as it gets.

Play with mouse. Play not with a super-killer beefed-up avatar who destroys the competition with just a casual glance of his eyes, get a low graded player to play with, and then get lost in the dumps of a freshman's first year in a full career calender. The anger and frustration you might feel in the beginning - is exactly the same anger and frustration you might feel in a real match of tennis, given comparable opponent and conditions.

Not much more is missing, some more stadiums are coming, modding, you already have men and women world tours, doubles, mixed doubles. The mildly inferior presentation - think of it as "classic" or a bit old-fashioned - you just forgive after you licked first blood in the match action.

If tennis is your thing, you get awsome lots of gameplay and satisfaction for the buck. Insiders know it since many years: but this is the best computer tennis game you can play on PC. Very complex, dynamically correct, realistic and convincing. Other may look better and boost spectacular presentation, but of what help is that if the gameplay sucks?

There is a separate tennis manager game by the man, too, but I dont know it. I think the two can be combined, but I am not certain.
Old 06-05-21, 04:52 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I'm into it with ever growing enthusiasm. Played doubles now as well, and can say that doubles are better simulated in this game than in any other earlier tennis game, they will very close to life. AI player appears and feels like a human partner. The moves and ball exchanges look like in real life, in good and in "mishaps". Incredible.

I forgot to mention that the game has not a complete detailed career managmeent mode, but additional to the yearly tournament calender and a player base with thousands (!) of names does simulate a training module with surprising detail and dynamic changes, between matches and tournaments you spend times in training, and accumulated training hours as acchievements can be distributed on the percentages defining your various talents and skills. These also can suffer over time if not being "renewed" in training occasionally. Its a very vivid system and allows you to slowly form a player from noob to competent tournament player, it also means that you can change over the longer term the playing style of your player. I have the impression that due to high values being risen further only with quite some effort, it is unlikely that you will form a King Kong dominator having only strenghts and no weaknesses, you most likely will need to concentrate and focus on some and accepot others to lag behind. And in the beginning you will get butchered a lot.

Very happy customer here, I enjoy the gameplay tremendously, I already liked the predecessor, but the graphics one day had started to keep me away.

Its the believable, dynamic flow, the up and down trend over games and sets, that is so immersive and addictive. In tournaments, noob that I am I only rarely stumble over an opponent on ym - low - skill level: and then the matches immediately become to turn into crime movies, and you get so much satisfaction from successful moves of yours, or a long exchange ending with the point in your favour.