SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-20, 08:34 AM   #1
fresh_prince
Nub

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default Issue with loading saves

I've recently installed the game. At first I was having no issues but now after trying to load my career save it CTD. I get a progress bar to show loading but after it fills it crashes. I am using GWX 3 and ARB 1920x1080 GUI.

I've also noticed a few things wrong about my save.
On the save game screen where it shows all your saves, the information about the save is incorrect. It shows that i am using a type IIA sub when I was using a type IXB and it says that i hadn't sunk any ships.
During the loading screen it shows the correct sub type but it says that my departure location is 0 degrees 0 mins W, and 0 degrees 0 mins S which is obviously incorrect.

Last edited by fresh_prince; 12-02-20 at 10:12 AM.
fresh_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 11:09 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default welcome aboard!

fresh_prince!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 11:54 AM   #3
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

When saving, make sure you are at least 25 km away from land or other units. I always make an hydrophone check before saving and extend it to 50 km (for land), if there is a ship or any unit within that radius, most likely will cause CTD when loading a save...

CapZap
Old 12-03-20, 07:45 AM   #4
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

How far along are you in your campaign? And do you save frequently?

I got from 1939 to 1943 in one campaign and all of a sudden my saves stopped loading, I had been saving frequently across many patrols and giving each of them a different name. I'm not sure why but as time went on these save files grew bigger until the point where the save folder was hundreds of megabytes big, I managed to prevent this happening on a subsequent campaign by saving over my previous files rather than naming each one something unique. If you save too frequently across a long campaign I have found that the game struggles loading saves so it may be a good idea to start over copying across the data from your last save into the first save of a new campaign so you retain your progress.

If you have changed any mods whilst out of port this can cause crashes to desktop when loading saves.

Try running SH3.exe in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2), I had loads of crashes to desktop on loading saves before doing this. And of course the 4gb patch if you haven't installed it.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 03:27 PM   #5
fresh_prince
Nub

I was only a few weeks into the first patrol. I save frequently but probably not enough to have that issue, I only had about 5 saves in total.

I'll try running it in compatibility mode, thanks for the advice.

(Edit) Ok I think that fixed it, for now at least. Thank you so much.
fresh_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 07:41 PM   #6
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_prince View Post
I was only a few weeks into the first patrol. I save frequently but probably not enough to have that issue, I only had about 5 saves in total.

I'll try running it in compatibility mode, thanks for the advice.

(Edit) Ok I think that fixed it, for now at least. Thank you so much.
I was about 20+ patrols in when that issue started happening for me so you'll be fine. Putting the .exe into compatibility mode solved any further ctd issues I had after exhausting every option. I'm glad it worked for you too!
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote