SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #61
swellfella
Grief-Of-The-Boat
 
swellfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East US
Posts: 30
Downloads: 400
Uploads: 0
Default

Just want to get my coin in here. Ultimately, as has been said over and over, personal choice is what drives our tastes and desires in the realm of all pleasure (to coin a phrase). A guy who lives too much for my own well being in the land of near nod--my imagination--who simply cannot get enough of the notion of saltwater, high seas, and cracking gulls, Rising Tide is the most immersive, spell-binding, virtual reality gaming experience I've lived in to date. The Graphics, the top of list of hypnotic enducing features for me, are simply...spell-binding (incidentally, any version other than Int. Gold, [Black-label], I find cartoonish, and, simply will not play. Peroid.] The mood, music, sound, and genius of ship design and gameplay, pull me in, hour upon hour. I have two copies, a backup in case of catastrophe (sp), and am waiting as gleeful as a child for the update (and am willing to send in another 10 spot if it would hurry things). You don't like it. I don't understand. But then I don't have too. Neither do you have to understand my devotion to The Tide. After all, I can't even swim.
__________________
This shark, swallow you whole; No shakin', no tenderisin', down you go. -Quint
swellfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #62
nvrsummer2
Watch
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default

I just tried Enigma for the first time and was looking around for mods when I came upon this thread.

Some of you guys are real bastards!! Instead of badmouthing this game and passing on your negativity to others. Think about the consequences: Get this game swept under the rug and the game you were hoping for will never get made.

If you paid for it and dont like it, thats fine. But you should do your research before you drop cash blindly hoping for the 'Perfect Game' you want. Maybe try a demo or youtube ingame footage.
I for one passed on this game along time ago and am kinda bummed I did. Its no SH3 or 4 but it never was trying to be. I think thats what everyone goes in thinking when they play this one and are disappointed.

This game leaves alot to be desired, but whos to say this isnt the seed that was planted for the big perfect naval sim were all hoping for. Someone will see that appeal for a big budget surface/sub sim game. After all, look at how well SH has done over the years and the false hope that was sowed with destroyer command. If UBI would take from SH series and combine with some surface ships= NIRVANA. I think it would sell well. And were not talking tons of ships. Most of us would be quite happy with one or two highly detailed destroyers from axis/allies. And maybe some PT action.

We should show how much we really want a game like this instead of demoralizing the people who are out there trying!!!!

Whats the status on ERT2 or expansions?? Anything else comparable on the horizon?
nvrsummer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #63
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter
 
Kapitan_Phillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gallifrey
Posts: 3,909
Downloads: 186
Uploads: 0
Default

Watch the language buddy.
__________________
Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into.
Kapitan_Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #64
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral
 
nikimcbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Patroling off Bungo Straights
Posts: 17,456
Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0


Default

whoa, necro thread. Curious why all these E:rt theads are in the "indie forum", as it is not an "indie" game.
__________________
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #65
Deamon
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,058
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
whoa, necro thread. Curious why all these E:rt theads are in the "indie forum", as it is not an "indie" game.
Perhaps because there is no ERT section on subsim.com ?

And didn't ERT started as a sort of garage production ?
__________________
IMPERIAL U-FLOTILLA 1914-1918

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
Status: 27%
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #66
EAST
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Eugene, OR. USA
Posts: 136
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Been awhile since I posted.

Enigma was indeed an indie project.

In a nutshell:

Bunch of developers got together when Dynamix closed (ACES OF THE DEEP!), raised some money from friends and family mostly, and went to work building Enigma. We got a publisher who only wanted a singleplayer game, we made it, they released it, didn't pay, we sued, eventually won ($1.6M against GMX and one of their corporate officers). We found another publisher, released the GOLD edition, they had trouble paying, lost our lead engineer and artists, gradual decline without funds or devs to create the multiplayer. Last year sold to Resurgent Interactive in Louisiana with the promise of HDV, E:RT 2, and Multiplayer (finally!)...they defaulted last September, Tesseraction and ENIGMA...dead. Closed the company December 29th, 2008.

Thats about as indie as you get. We did it all ourselves, no publisher paid for anything, we had allies like Neil, couple of the game web outlets, some press guys, but thats about it.

And for everyone's edification: Nickimcbee used to be an employee at Tesseraction; did research and some writing for us. He is a sharp guy, decent skills and can be a hard worker.

He also would fall into the category of disgruntled employee; we never had much money and you know what that does for morale. Take his Enigma posts accordingly.

Thanks to all who supported, if we can find a way to release the sourcecode or something we will....never know what can happen.

Kelly 'East' Asay
__________________
ENIGMA R.I.P.

Last edited by EAST; 02-23-2009 at 08:27 PM.
EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #67
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral
 
nikimcbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Patroling off Bungo Straights
Posts: 17,456
Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
whoa, necro thread. Curious why all these E:rt theads are in the "indie forum", as it is not an "indie" game.
Perhaps because there is no ERT section on subsim.com ?

And didn't ERT started as a sort of garage production ?
Why not merge them into the classic subsim thread, where the home of the game is? There is no work being made on the game, so it's not really " in-die". Just seems like it would fit more there.
__________________
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #68
Deamon
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,058
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Why not merge them into the classic subsim thread, where the home of the game is? There is no work being made on the game, so it's not really " in-die". Just seems like it would fit more there.
Well, I actually consider it indi. Maybe the classic forum could be also the right place for it but imo this is really hair splitting at this point. Sounds to me more like you are underburdened and have too much free time at hand to feel bothered about such minor things. nikimcbee... get a job
__________________
IMPERIAL U-FLOTILLA 1914-1918

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
Status: 27%
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #69
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber
 
Theta Sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 344
Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST
And for everyone's edification: Nickimcbee used to be an employee at Tesseraction; did research and some writing for us. He is a sharp guy, decent skills and can be a hard worker.

He also would fall into the category of disgruntled employee; we never had much money and you know what that does for morale. Take his Enigma posts accordingly.
I had wondered about that.

Anyhow, that said, my own patience ran thin in regards to this project. As one of the few who didn't just pledge funds, but actually paid and have yet to be refunded, I also feel I have a right to be vocal about my frustration. My questions at DeepSix often go unanswered, and the these recent developments have me aggravated to say the least. I never expected all the business details to be laid bare, but your lack of contribution to the board is incredibly frustrating. Also, the "company", rather individual, to whom my payment was sent for this addon is suspect. It seems most of his online presence was self-authored, and I see little concern on your part towards those customers who have contributed financially.

Kelly, as always, I have given you the benefit of the doubt. ERT was a labor of love, and for all the hours of enjoyment I have had from playing it, I feel indebted beyond the price of the disc. There's really no other subsim that I have enjoyed as much (even DW and SH3/4). All said though, these recent developments have soured it. I'm not privy to what has occurred recently beyond your posts here and at D-S, but they don't strike me as the candid correspondence one would have with current and potential customers regarding an investor backing out of a deal.

Kelly, if bankruptcies are involved, or if you were scammed by this person, I wish you would come forth and say so.

In a way, I almost hope it was only that...
__________________
Theta Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #70
Pioneer
Stinking drunk in Trinidad
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: AU in the USA
Posts: 349
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

Disclaimer: Acquaintance of Nicki, buddy to East.

Ok, without splitting hairs, Enigma is hosted at D6 cause of a failed relationship elsewhere. While Nicki, East and later I were at TAG, D6 is a pet project of East and I, and because we have those ties, what's left of TAG is held there.

Now, corporate professionalism to the debtors of TAG and to a lessor extent Kelly and I, you may not hear us giving someone a bath...it's not done because it's business. East has been upfront about several matters relating to TAG including the GMX "how much money do you owe us that we may never see?' situation. He has taken a bath elsewhere from others whom are not so professional over matters he has no control over.

I doubt you will ever hear East claim that he lost $X at TAG, he's not that guy. He's the diplomatic professional that I have worked alongside with. Nor would I ever expect him to come out and say "When money evaporated, I mortgaged my house to get that money for the people who had paid." Again, not that type of guy.

I have suffered a huge loss from TAG, however, no where near as much as I suspect he may have.

I have attempted to recoup my $$ from the appropriate source (not East) and I am much like you, unable to get a response. That however does not mean that East is accountable, it's a case that he is the "poster boy" for it's success, which has carried over to it's demise. As for little concern...well, I disagree, however, that comes with the friendship of knowing some (not all) of what he did to get the money back.

There isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't lament the loss of TAG and our attempts to save it, it's like losing a part of your life. Unlike most of us though, we get to on with our lives and plug in each day for that pay check, he hasn't drawn a TAG paycheck since I started, and in fact, met a lot of his own expenses.

The claim of suspect towards the responsible entity, again, it might not be correct. This time last year I met both the Governor of LA and the Mayor of Baton Rogue whom were well aware of the TAG situation. From my own independent conversations with both those people, the infrastructure for Sink The Hood and beyond was there. They had it all laid out, in place, ready to go. And they were aware of Chuck and his dealings and the Mayor (I believe) had in fact played E:RT and enjoyed it.

In fairness I have received information from another source who has known Chuck 20 years and they report that this is his first occurrence of "let down". Bad luck it happened to East.

As a former employee of TAG, I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with him in the belief that East did the right thing by all.
As his friend, I'll be more then happy to stand in and go head on with an opponent.
__________________
An AU writer marooned in the USA.

The American Pioneer story continues @ www.grantmadden.com

Latest publication: Chicken Soup for the Soul Angels and Miracles

Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #71
Sonarman
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ayr,Scotland,UK
Posts: 1,317
Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta Sigma
As one of the few who didn't just pledge funds, but actually paid and have yet to be refunded,
I presume we are talking about the Hotel da Volta addon here, are you sure you were actually charged for it? I also placed an order but no funds were ever withdrawn from my account indicating that Chuck probably was an honest but unlucky businessman.
__________________
"The action is simulated...the excitement is real!"
Microprose Simulation Software 1982-2001 R.I.P.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #72
EAST
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Eugene, OR. USA
Posts: 136
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Theta Sigma:

Quote:
Last year sold to Resurgent Interactive in Louisiana with the promise of HDV, E:RT 2, and Multiplayer (finally!)...they defaulted last September, Tesseraction and ENIGMA...dead. Closed the company December 29th, 2008.
No idea why Resurgent defaulted on the purchase, but the results are the same, TAG was done: We financed the purchase.

Incidently, I was developing HDV for Resurgent, but they are the principles (development and publishing). They licensed the rights to do HDV from Tesseraction, TAG didn't take, or for that matter even see any of the proceeds of whatever sales they may have made.

I understand your frustration and respect the way you expressed it. If we had anyway to give back the money Resurgent received from you, we would happily do it. To be honest, we don't even know who all bought the add-on, who was charged, etc.

That said, with Resurgent's websites all down and no contact information available, we are looking to see if Resurgent has been dissolved. If it has, we will release HDV in its current state (not finished). The good news is, the EXE does get rid of STARFORCE and the CD-IN-DRIVE requirement.

--Kelly
__________________
ENIGMA R.I.P.
EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #73
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral
 
nikimcbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Patroling off Bungo Straights
Posts: 17,456
Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0


Default

[quote=Deamon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
nikimcbee... get a job
Oh, I have a sweet job. This is a tempest in a teacup. I just thought it would be nice to consolidate a few things.
__________________
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #74
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber
 
Theta Sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 344
Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta Sigma
As one of the few who didn't just pledge funds, but actually paid and have yet to be refunded,
I presume we are talking about the Hotel da Volta addon here, are you sure you were actually charged for it? I also placed an order but no funds were ever withdrawn from my account indicating that Chuck probably was an honest but unlucky businessman.
As posted at D6, I was indeed charged, and the funds were transferred. At the time, the option to place an order without being debited was the apparent intent, but when I did place it, that option was unavailable to me. With the added detail that the addon would be more expensive post-release, I chose to go forward. Naturally, I had not expected this outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer
Disclaimer: Acquaintance of Nicki, buddy to East.

Ok, without splitting hairs, Enigma is hosted at D6 cause of a failed relationship elsewhere. While Nicki, East and later I were at TAG, D6 is a pet project of East and I, and because we have those ties, what's left of TAG is held there.

Now, corporate professionalism to the debtors of TAG and to a lessor extent Kelly and I, you may not hear us giving someone a bath...it's not done because it's business. East has been upfront about several matters relating to TAG including the GMX "how much money do you owe us that we may never see?' situation. He has taken a bath elsewhere from others whom are not so professional over matters he has no control over.

I doubt you will ever hear East claim that he lost $X at TAG, he's not that guy. He's the diplomatic professional that I have worked alongside with. Nor would I ever expect him to come out and say "When money evaporated, I mortgaged my house to get that money for the people who had paid." Again, not that type of guy.

I have suffered a huge loss from TAG, however, no where near as much as I suspect he may have.

I have attempted to recoup my $$ from the appropriate source (not East) and I am much like you, unable to get a response. That however does not mean that East is accountable, it's a case that he is the "poster boy" for it's success, which has carried over to it's demise. As for little concern...well, I disagree, however, that comes with the friendship of knowing some (not all) of what he did to get the money back.

There isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't lament the loss of TAG and our attempts to save it, it's like losing a part of your life. Unlike most of us though, we get to on with our lives and plug in each day for that pay check, he hasn't drawn a TAG paycheck since I started, and in fact, met a lot of his own expenses.

The claim of suspect towards the responsible entity, again, it might not be correct. This time last year I met both the Governor of LA and the Mayor of Baton Rogue whom were well aware of the TAG situation. From my own independent conversations with both those people, the infrastructure for Sink The Hood and beyond was there. They had it all laid out, in place, ready to go. And they were aware of Chuck and his dealings and the Mayor (I believe) had in fact played E:RT and enjoyed it.

In fairness I have received information from another source who has known Chuck 20 years and they report that this is his first occurrence of "let down". Bad luck it happened to East.

As a former employee of TAG, I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with him in the belief that East did the right thing by all.
As his friend, I'll be more then happy to stand in and go head on with an opponent.
Now I don't know Kelly beyond posts and PMs, but I have always wanted to shake his hand for his part in bringing ERT to us. When others attacked, I often defended and tried to understand. I don't consider don't him a "poster boy" for all the problems, but my comments are not unreasonable not knowing all the parties well. In fact, from your post (reading between the lines again) it would seem our efforts are directed at the same individual. I accept your statement about Mr. Bush, but my meager investigation spawned several failed online ventures and a house for sale. In all, not exactly a smoking gun, but combined with no current email address (to forward my PayPal invoice to), and even difficulty by more important parties in contacting him, I feel that's enough to fear the worst in the present economy.

At least Kelly has friends like yourself. He's lucked out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST
Theta Sigma:

Quote:
Last year sold to Resurgent Interactive in Louisiana with the promise of HDV, E:RT 2, and Multiplayer (finally!)...they defaulted last September, Tesseraction and ENIGMA...dead. Closed the company December 29th, 2008.
No idea why Resurgent defaulted on the purchase, but the results are the same, TAG was done: We financed the purchase.

Incidently, I was developing HDV for Resurgent, but they are the principles (development and publishing). They licensed the rights to do HDV from Tesseraction, TAG didn't take, or for that matter even see any of the proceeds of whatever sales they may have made.

I understand your frustration and respect the way you expressed it. If we had anyway to give back the money Resurgent received from you, we would happily do it. To be honest, we don't even know who all bought the add-on, who was charged, etc.

That said, with Resurgent's websites all down and no contact information available, we are looking to see if Resurgent has been dissolved. If it has, we will release HDV in its current state (not finished). The good news is, the EXE does get rid of STARFORCE and the CD-IN-DRIVE requirement.

--Kelly
As I believe I said before at D6 (perhaps paraphrasing), had the payment I sent gone to you, I would have considered it a donation even if Hotel da Volta had not come to fruition. However, with a once mysterious, and now suspicious, third party as the payee, one who has seem to have stiffed others as well, I don't feel as generous. I have the completed PayPal invoice, and have attached it to my previous emails to that individual which have been bounced back. Kelly, I certainly don't expect nor desire you to personally refund me. It would seem you have suffered far worse in this endeavor. In fact, if the current venture is dissolved, and HDV is released as-is, I would feel more than satisfied with the end product as stated, albeit saddened by the losses incurred.

I appreciate the dialogue here, though I wish you could have said more earlier. The lack of details as to what has been going on are really the crux of my recent posts.
__________________
Theta Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #75
EAST
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Eugene, OR. USA
Posts: 136
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Understood, its been a pretty crazy 18 months. We'll have to have a beer one day (Next Subsim Gathering?) and share stories.
__________________
ENIGMA R.I.P.
EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2020 Subsim