SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-08, 04:34 PM   #1
i_b_spectre
Engineer

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default ME question: setting torpedo loadout

Is there a way in the Mission Editor to choose the torpedo loadout? Seems missions set to begin in, say, 1942 always come stocked with electrics preloaded and a couple of steams in reserve. The 3km range of the electrics is ok for many applications, but it would be nice to have the option of starting the mission with a mix that included steam eels for those times when you need long reach or high speed.
Old 03-04-08, 05:02 PM   #2
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_b_spectre
Is there a way in the Mission Editor to choose the torpedo loadout? Seems missions set to begin in, say, 1942 always come stocked with electrics preloaded and a couple of steams in reserve. The 3km range of the electrics is ok for many applications, but it would be nice to have the option of starting the mission with a mix that included steam eels for those times when you need long reach or high speed.
You dont have that option in the editor.
However, you can set the loadout you want in basic.cfg in the year you want.

Lets say, you want acoustic torpedos in the fore and steam in the aft in the IXB in 1943. Go to the basic.cfg file, locate IXB uboat (middle of the file), locate the year, and change the numbers. Steam is 0, acoustic is 6. To discover the numbers, go to near the end of the file and you will see each torpedo definition, its ID and the year it becomes operational. Make sure that the torpedo you select is operational for the year that you want it.

Any doubt, send me PM.
Old 03-04-08, 05:39 PM   #3
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Yeah there is a way in the ME

Set the entry date for sub so its the same as the mission start date
Then where it says unit version date use the drop down menus to match that of the entry date
The sub should have the loadout as per the basic cfg for that sub in that year

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 05:52 PM   #4
i_b_spectre
Engineer

Thanks, guys. I had tried searching the forums, albeit unsuccessfully before I posted, but I knew the brain trust here would know if there was a way. I appreciate the feedback.

The ME has some quirks and will do things I do not yet understand, unrequested things, but I'm slowly working my way through it. Between some good online tutorials and the great help available for the asking in these forums, I'm on my way.
Old 03-04-08, 07:20 PM   #5
i_b_spectre
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Set the entry date for sub so its the same as the mission start date. Then where it says unit version date use the drop down menus to match that of the entry date. The sub should have the loadout as per the basic cfg for that sub in that year
I thought I'd try BBW's approach first since it looked like the quickest in-ME fix. Unfortunately, whenever I set the unit version date to the mission start date, then click Accept, I go back into Properties and it has always reverted to the unit version date it had originally. I tried everything I can think of, but it just will not keep the date I enter. It'll keep the Entry Date just fine, just not the Unit Version.:hmm:

Could I be missing something?
Old 03-04-08, 08:04 PM   #6
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_b_spectre
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Set the entry date for sub so its the same as the mission start date. Then where it says unit version date use the drop down menus to match that of the entry date. The sub should have the loadout as per the basic cfg for that sub in that year
I thought I'd try BBW's approach first since it looked like the quickest in-ME fix. Unfortunately, whenever I set the unit version date to the mission start date, then click Accept, I go back into Properties and it has always reverted to the unit version date it had originally. I tried everything I can think of, but it just will not keep the date I enter. It'll keep the Entry Date just fine, just not the Unit Version.:hmm:

Could I be missing something?
Those changes in ME will only have pre-determined configurations, that change once by year. If you want to fine-tune which torpedos you want and where, the basic.cfg is your only option.
Old 03-04-08, 08:32 PM   #7
i_b_spectre
Engineer

Roger that, thanks for the lead. It's my next step.
Old 03-04-08, 11:31 PM   #8
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Have you tried WolfiesTweekPak, or do you want the loadout hard-coded for individual missions?

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 03:04 PM   #9
i_b_spectre
Engineer

No, I haven't. I was hoping there was some way it could be influenced on a mission-by-mission basis rather than a global basis.