SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-07, 05:31 PM   #76
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I made it a bit more precise than the real thing, mainly because the SH3 chrono has only a 60 seconds sphere instead of 100 seconds. But still I left the tendency there, as it must somehow have a reason, probably experience told them it was easy to overestimate or underestimate, and they compensated it like that.:hmm:
why not make the SH3 chrono 100 seconds instead of 60?? :hmm:
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 06:10 PM   #77
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Ganz verrückt if you ask me. (meaning "totally crazy")

Actually from the picture I conclude they approximated 1 knot to 1.8km/hour.

100(m)/100(sec)=1 m/s =2(knot)*x*1000(m)/3600(s) , so x=(1*3600)/(2*1000)=1.8 (km/nm) ("x" is a km per naut. mile factor this time)

Which is 3% off from 1.852km/h, so I guess a good approximation in itself. But still, the km/nm factor is completely hidden for the user of the watch because of those scales. I mean, you don't need to calculate with it. I don't see the need for such a simple number. If the shiplength intel is good, speed is also good. And if you over-estimate speed (which is what this does) than you'll just end up hitting forward of the intended position. Purposefully miss-aiming!?! I don't get it.

Unless the stopwatch maker had to draw it by hand, and make it easier on him. Cheapskate Dönitz! :p
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 10:28 PM   #78
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

Ah okay, so then If i understand correctly, the measurements must be taken within one minute or they are invalid. To be honest I still don't see how one can get an accurate speed this way with no regard to range or AOB but I'll take your word for it. Shoot for measurements under 60 seconds...got it...thanks.
supposedtobeworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 02:04 AM   #79
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

AOB doesn't matter because you're measuring the time it takes for the ship to pass a stationary point in space (the crosshair), not the time it takes to make an angular change relative to to your boat. Think of it this way. When you superimpose the crosshair on your target, imagine it represents a piece of floating debris in the water next to the ship. The timer starts when the bow of the boat passes the debris and ends when the stern passes the debris. As long as you can guestimate the length of the ship properly, you can calculate a reasonably accurate speed.

If the ship is at 90 degrees AOB or at 10 AOB, the crosshair takes the same amount of time to travel from bow to stern. This is because at small AOB, even though the apparent length of the ship is smaller, it's agular velocity is proportionally smaller too. Conversely, at a perpendicular AOB, though it's apparent length is bigger, so to is its angular velocity.
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 07:36 AM   #80
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
If the ship is at 90 degrees AOB or at 10 AOB, the crosshair takes the same amount of time to travel from bow to stern. This is because at small AOB, even though the apparent length of the ship is smaller, it's agular velocity is proportionally smaller too. Conversely, at a perpendicular AOB, though it's apparent length is bigger, so to is its angular velocity.
Now that's the right choice of words I wouldn't have expressed myself better.

In the end, a 150 metres long ship will take the same time at 5 knots or whatever speed to go past a fixed line, only it will seem to move faster if you see more of the ship. But that's perceived speed, and not real speed.

Bow and stern will go past the fixed line at the same moment no matter the AOB (Which is logic if you consider that no matter where you place yourself to observe, the ship will be doing the same speed)
Old 10-22-07, 07:41 AM   #81
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
If the shiplength intel is good, speed is also good.
It's difficult to explain, but intel was not always that good. The recognition manual was used in real life, that's true, but normally the dimensions of a ship were calculated rather differently.

For example: A commander observed a cargo ship through the scope. The number of cranes shows the number of cargo bays, and in turn that number of cargo bays can be multiplied by around 1500-2000 GRT to determine total gross tonnage (Including machiney and such). Once the tonnage is figured out, the length of the ship can be estimated using naval construction mathematical formulas (Ships tend to keep the same proportions no matter the size). By such means did the U-Boat crews approach the length of the ships normally.

And, as we know, like their American counterparts they tended to overestimate a lot, so it is not completely mad that the clock had a tendency to compensate that. Of course that's only a rough guess :hmm:
Old 10-22-07, 09:12 AM   #82
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

UPDATE 22 Oct 2007:

Now also a NYGM compatible version: http://files.filefront.com/U+jagd112.../fileinfo.html

Thanks to Stiebler and Teddy Bär for giving permission

Important note: This is still a Beta. It works well, everything is functional and there are no crashes, but it will currently disable the precision periscope bearing indicator, and put the old one back. Joe will look into this somewhen when he comes back from his business trip, but right now this is what we have.

Good hunting
Old 10-22-07, 09:43 AM   #83
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
And, as we know, like their American counterparts they tended to overestimate a lot, so it is not completely mad that the clock had a tendency to compensate that. Of course that's only a rough guess :hmm:
Yeah, I guess I'm the mad one here. I'm a sucker for precision. Even when I can't get it.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 11:25 AM   #84
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97

I have installed the Favorite to taste and 3 scopes mod from jcwolf.
Can i use also this mod?
Old 10-22-07, 02:21 PM   #85
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I use GWX1.03 and it installed fine after i removed integrated orders.

Unfortunatly only the watch installed nothing else. Is there something I missed ? Btw i'm useing a VII IN 1941

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 09:03 PM   #86
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I guess i'll just stick with gwx 1.3 It really doesn't need modding

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 04:32 AM   #87
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Quote:
I made it a bit more precise than the real thing, mainly because the SH3 chrono has only a 60 seconds sphere instead of 100 seconds. But still I left the tendency there, as it must somehow have a reason, probably experience told them it was easy to overestimate or underestimate, and they compensated it like that.:hmm:
why not make the SH3 chrono 100 seconds instead of 60?? :hmm:
why not indeed :hmm: I think i'll try to include it for 1.3.

@Firewall, you sure you installed the right version, and have no other mods using the menu-file?

The GWX version should work as advertised coz that's the one i use.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 04:33 AM   #88
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

@java's revenge

you'll have to use the DIY kit and read some of the other posts in this thread. Others have done it succesfully
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 05:23 AM   #89
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

Quote:
UPDATE 22 Oct 2007:

Now also a NYGM compatible version: http://files.filefront.com/U+jagd112.../fileinfo.html

Thanks to Stiebler and Teddy Bär for giving permission

Important note: This is still a Beta. It works well, everything is functional and there are no crashes, but it will currently disable the precision periscope bearing indicator, and put the old one back. Joe will look into this somewhen when he comes back from his business trip, but right now this is what we have.

Good hunting
Downloading now! I had waited years for this tool. To the masters involved: Thanks!
coronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 05:25 PM   #90
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by abel29a
Thanks Maraz - I'll give it a go tonight.

As for the mod itself - wow this is good. It's never been this easy and fun to set up for attacks. I did an attack on a convoy, launching from 7000m at a less-than-optimal angle (approching the convoy from nearly head on, with a slight offset to port), and every torpedo found it's mark. And the operation is so fast you can easily recalculate AOBs and such quickly, getting a good feel for whatever zig-zags the merchants throw your way.

I feel like a U-Jäger indeed

The only thing I'll probably remove is the wiz-wheel, seeing as it's not needed, and I use the rudder extensively, so it gets in the way. But it looks so good, I'll be sorry not to have it for eye candy
How do you remove the wiz-wheel in this great mod? I also using the rudder extensively and think the wiz-wheel is in the way of the rudder.
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote