SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-27-20, 02:25 AM   #31
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0

Well yesterday I got a phone call, I didn't recognise the number but I answered it, before you say I shouldn't because it was unrecognised I recently got a call from my daughter, she was using her friend's phone because her battery had gone, so I thought it could possibly something like that.

Anyway back to the story:
There was an Asian guy calling saying he was from the company mentioned in my first post on this thread.
He was saying he could take payment and all I had to do was give him my bank details.
I told him I was no longer interested but then he asked why I wasn't interested, I just said, it was a mistake so I'm not interested, then he asked why was it a mistake.
I was now annoyed! I told him he was wasting his time, as I am no longer interested so thank you and goodbye!
2 seconds later he phoned back, I was going through the procedure of blocking him when he phoned from another number.
I told him to stop phoning because I will not be giving my bank details and why doesn't he understand I am not interested?
He again asked why I wasn't interested so this time I said OK, why are you not understanding what I'm saying, answer me that?
He said I was being rude all he was doing was trying to help me, I said, OK thank you but I no longer am interested, again he kept on, so I just left him connected seeing as he phoned me it was his phone bill.
After a while I listened and he was still connected but not talking, so I pretended I was on another phone and let him hear me supposedly talking to the police, I was reporting him and giving them his number, I carried on a conversation as though I was actually talking to someone.
I then heard him disconnect.

I blocked that number too, but it shows these people don't give up, I'm guessing there may have been others who fell for the scam as I did and he was chasing up possible leads in the hope he may get lucky.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-20, 04:04 AM   #32
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

My usual and favourite response.....putting the cordless phone next to the tv or radio and going back into the man cave.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-20, 05:48 AM   #33
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

You only needed to ask him what he's wearing... maybe ladies' things? Then say you'd like to think he was. I don't reckon he'd have been on for much longer... but I could be wrong
Old 06-27-20, 06:57 AM   #34
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

That wouldn't have put me

Old 06-27-20, 07:52 AM   #35
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I would have put that on me
Fixed that for you!
Old 06-27-20, 08:38 AM   #36
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ Also fishnet stockings and suspenders
Old 06-27-20, 08:54 AM   #37
ForceGhost
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I’ve seen people fall for MUCH more obvious scams before, live and learn mate!
Old 06-27-20, 10:25 AM   #38
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I never engage with anyone on the phone, I simply shout Not interested! and bang--hang up. Feels good, too.
Old 06-27-20, 11:35 AM   #39
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Having the last word is always gratifying.

Old 06-27-20, 02:19 PM   #40
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I never answer my phone directly if I don't know the number, I just let it go to voicemail, taking the attitude of 'if its a legit call, they will leave a message'; also, if it is a nuisance call, I can just delete the message from voicemail; I used to answer the phone directly, but got tired of all the robocalls and scam attempts and I found the number of such calls declined markedly when I stopped answering directly, so I'm guessing the callers are probably figuring either the number they called is a dead drop and/or the likelihood of making an actual score is virtually null; if it is an unknown number, I sometimes do a 'Net search of the number to see if I can find out if its legit; I have found a rather significant amount of the numbers have been flagged/reported as scams or robocall telemarketers; I have only found one legit number in my "Net searches...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 06-27-20 at 03:33 PM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-20, 03:00 PM   #41
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Ideas keep on popping up in my heads.

I'll tell you about an idea which popped up some years ago.

My landlord was at my home to help me build an extra wall, so one big room became two room instead.

During this 1 to 1½ hour he was there-he received 3 phone calls. All of them was from sellers.
Each time he used minutes saying to these sellers "No not interested" a few times and more.

This gave me the idea to create a special personal phone guard.

This mean when a person private or business person create an account at my company, they will be told to have two phone numbers.
One for absolutely private use.
One for public use.
The one for public use, goes through my company.

A seller will not get in contact with a member-unless the member gives a go ahead.
Even if he tries to call hundreds of times of from different phone numbers.
So if my landlord had such a possibility-he would get a text message from this personal phone guard -saying there have been x/xx attempt to get in touch with you, A email with more information have been sent to your mail address.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-20, 03:36 PM   #42
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Phone Call-Back Scam

Be aware of the phone call-back scam, too: the phone will ring just once... for a split second... then it will ring off. If you have caller ID you will see an 08 number (in the UK) and the idea is to get you to dial back to find out who wanted you. Then of course you're on the hook for a massive hit in your phone bill with a premium-rate call

I tried to report this online to our UK enforcement agency, but I was directed to select the particular scam I wanted to report... and of course this one wasn't on the list, so I had to leave it

Interestingly, after being plagued by these calls for such a long time, we find we haven't had any since the lock-down... I guess the buggers are all at home for the duration. I hope they starve
Old 06-28-20, 04:55 AM   #43
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post

Interestingly, after being plagued by these calls for such a long time, we find we haven't had any since the lock-down... I guess the buggers are all at home for the duration. I hope they starve
That's our experience too.

Sadly, the UK authorities can do nothing about malicious callers based outside of the UK.

Old 06-28-20, 12:53 PM   #44
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260

I got one from a lady in Verona, Italy.
She was trying to sell me of all things Olive oil, she spoke in English with an accent.
I was in the mood for a wind up so I kept her on, she said she was in Verona, I interrupted quick and said, "Oh I like your name, Verona, if I had a baby girl I think I would call her that."
She said, "No, my name isn't Verona, I'm in Verona in Italy." Again I interrupted, "I've been to Italy, it was a long time ago, I was in Milan and I took the train to Venice, have you been to Venice?"
She said, "No, did you like it?" I told her I went in that big church with the paintings on the ceiling, then went on a gondola, and visited a glass factory."

She then started to talk about Olive oil, I said, I was on a pension and Olive oil is a bit expensive for me so I buy the cheap sunflower or vegetable oil.
she tried again to sell me this oil, I then said, "Well I haven't got a passport now so I couldn't come to Italy to get it, I'm afraid of flying, keep reading about different crashes and seeing things in movies it has put me off."

She said, "Oh no you don't have to come to Italy, we can send it to you."
I said, "That is so kind of you but won't it cost you a lot of money just to send me a bottle of oil where as if I wanted some I could buy it here."

She laughed and said, "It was not a problem." I asked why she picked me of all the people in England to send a bottle of oil to?

She said, "You was picked out at random so you are lucky." I then asked if I could use Olive oil in my moped engine, she laughed and said, "No it's best just to use it for cooking, not for engines."
I kept calling her Verona as well and it was making her laugh, in the end I said it was very nice talking to her but I must go because I don't want to take up any more of her time.
She tried to keep me on the phone, by then she had given up on the oil and was just chatting, she eventually went and said it was nice talking to me and hoped I had a good day.

I haven't a clue why a company in Italy is trying to sell olive oil to people in England, but the lady was nice really and she did have a laugh and was polite, but it was fun talking to her as well.
I wonder how much that phone call cost for Italy?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote