Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-06, 09:29 AM   #1
_Seth_
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Default To Admins..

I have an old movie i would like to upload to internet, and post a link to to, but i wonder how old the movie have to be to avoid any copyright issues...
This one is from 1933 (yeah, its the "Morgenrot"..). :hmm:

_Seth_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 09:44 AM   #2
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth_
I have an old movie i would like to upload to internet, and post a link to to, but i wonder how old the movie have to be to avoid any copyright issues...
Hi Seth WWI sub movie!!!!! Gotta have. Hope it has eng. subtitles. Gonna look for it on amazon.com. Good Hunting.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 09:50 AM   #3
_Seth_
Ocean Warrior

This one is without english subtitles......sorry mate...

I dont dare to post it before i know if its under some sort of copyright or not... Its a great movie, though!

Old 09-22-06, 09:54 AM   #4
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4

Usually, AFAIK, the copyright expires after 70 years. But the problem is that copyrights can be extended and if you can´t be 100% sure that no-one holds the copyright you cannot post the link here.
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 09:55 AM   #5
CWorth
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 38

Quote:
This may help you out..http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wwp

Works Originally Created and Published or Registered before January 1, 1978

Under the law in effect before 1978, copyright was secured either on the date a work was published with a copyright notice or on the date of registration if the work was registered in unpublished form. In either case, the copyright endured for a first term of 28 years from the date it was secured. During the last (28th) year of the first term, the copyright was eligible for renewal. The Copyright Act of 1976 extended the renewal term from 28 to 47 years for copyrights that were subsisting on January 1, 1978, or for pre-1978 copyrights restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), making these works eligible for a total term of protection of 75 years. Public Law 105-298, enacted on October 27, 1998, further extended the renewal term of copyrights still subsisting on that date by an additional 20 years, providing for a renewal term of 67 years and a total term of protection of 95 years.
Public Law 102-307, enacted on June 26, 1992, amended the 1976 Copyright Act to provide for automatic renewal of the term of copyrights secured between January 1, 1964, and December 31, 1977. Although the renewal term is automatically provided, the Copyright Office does not issue a renewal certificate for these works unless a renewal application and fee are received and registered in the Copyright Office.
Public Law 102-307 makes renewal registration optional. Thus, filing for renewal registration is no longer required to extend the original 28-year copyright term to the full 95 years. However, some benefits accrue to renewal registrations that were made during the 28th year.
For more detailed information on renewal of copyright and the copyright term, request Circular 15, Renewal of Copyright; Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright; and Circular 15t, Extension of Copyright Terms.

So from what I am reading you will be violating Copyright Laws by loading that movie and posting it anywhere on the net.
CWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 09:56 AM   #6
_Seth_
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Usually, AFAIK, the copyright expires after 70 years. But the problem is that copyrights can be extended and if you can´t be 100% sure that no-one holds the copyright you cannot post the link here.
Thanx Gizzmoe, im not 100 % sure, so i wont post it. I'll look into this and see if i can find some more info about this. I'll post my relevant findings here.

Thanx again!

Old 09-22-06, 09:58 AM   #7
_Seth_
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWorth
Quote:

Works Originally Created and Published or Registered before January 1, 1978

Under the law in effect before 1978, copyright was secured either on the date a work was published with a copyright notice or on the date of registration if the work was registered in unpublished form. In either case, the copyright endured for a first term of 28 years from the date it was secured. During the last (28th) year of the first term, the copyright was eligible for renewal. The Copyright Act of 1976 extended the renewal term from 28 to 47 years for copyrights that were subsisting on January 1, 1978, or for pre-1978 copyrights restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), making these works eligible for a total term of protection of 75 years. Public Law 105-298, enacted on October 27, 1998, further extended the renewal term of copyrights still subsisting on that date by an additional 20 years, providing for a renewal term of 67 years and a total term of protection of 95 years.
Public Law 102-307, enacted on June 26, 1992, amended the 1976 Copyright Act to provide for automatic renewal of the term of copyrights secured between January 1, 1964, and December 31, 1977. Although the renewal term is automatically provided, the Copyright Office does not issue a renewal certificate for these works unless a renewal application and fee are received and registered in the Copyright Office.
Public Law 102-307 makes renewal registration optional. Thus, filing for renewal registration is no longer required to extend the original 28-year copyright term to the full 95 years. However, some benefits accrue to renewal registrations that were made during the 28th year.
For more detailed information on renewal of copyright and the copyright term, request Circular 15, Renewal of Copyright; Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright; and Circular 15t, Extension of Copyright Terms.

So from what I am reading you will be violating Copyright Laws by loading that movie and posting it anywhere on the net.
Looks like that to me also... Thanx CWorth, and all you folks who want to see this movie, buy it!

Last edited by _Seth_; 09-22-06 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 10:09 AM   #8
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
if you can´t be 100% sure that no-one holds the copyright you cannot post the link here.
Does that also mean we have to stop quoting copyright protected text and posting copyright protected images ?

Quote:
I assume the movie was a German movie so it seems that one should check out German copyright law

Last edited by Drebbel; 09-22-06 at 10:13 AM.
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:12 AM   #9
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Hey Seth, My luck ,i'll buy it on amazon and the next day you'll be able to upload it. As much as i wan't a new sub movie i'll wait to see how all this turns out. Good Luck & Good Hunting.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:17 AM   #10
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebbel
Does that also mean we have to stop quoting copyright protected text and posting copyright protected images ?
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:22 AM   #11
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebbel
Ok, as a moderator of these forums it is also your task to enforce that rule and step in when it is broken ................. good luck :p

Old 09-22-06, 02:25 PM   #12
_Seth_
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
Hey Seth, My luck ,i'll buy it on amazon and the next day you'll be able to upload it. As much as i wan't a new sub movie i'll wait to see how all this turns out. Good Luck & Good Hunting.
:rotfl::rotfl: I'll look into this, but it sounds like CWorth and Gizzmoe is right....

Last edited by _Seth_; 09-22-06 at 07:32 PM.