Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-06, 10:08 PM   #1
ME$$ENGER
Watch

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default About the recent SH4 poll..

I am not so sure if this belongs here. If not, please move it to the appropriate forum, thanks.

I just completed the SH4 poll, and everything was fine until I attempted to select my nationality. I scrolled down a bit....lo and behold, "Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China. Before you jump the wagon and shout "keep politics out of this place" I shall inform you that it's not politics, it's a fact. If Taiwan is a province of China already why the hell are they still talking about unification? Even Hong Kong, which is ACTUALLY part of China, doesn't receive this kind of special treatment. This is a balant misrepresentation of the situation and has indeed insulted me and possibly other Taiwanese as well if there are any. I hope this is simply a technical problem and I'd like to see it remedied. I am not suggesting anyone to put "Taiwan, an independent state" there. I am only asking that the choice of word being neutral and factual (ie: Republic of China or simply, Taiwan, would suffice).

I know this is a rather strongly worded post. However, I'm sure you can understand the extreme rudeness if I put "Israel, part of Palestine" there. As players here often deal with matters of historical significance, I think that neutrality and objectivity should be an integral rule of conduct, both to the usual forum goers and the administration alike. Sorry if I sound like nagging, but this is an important issue to me and I want to make sure it won't happen to anyone else, no matter what nationality.
ME$$ENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-06, 11:14 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME$$ENGER
I am not so sure if this belongs here. If not, please move it to the appropriate forum, thanks.

I just completed the SH4 poll, and everything was fine until I attempted to select my nationality. I scrolled down a bit....lo and behold, "Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China. Before you jump the wagon and shout "keep politics out of this place" I shall inform you that it's not politics, it's a fact. If Taiwan is a province of China already why the hell are they still talking about unification? Even Hong Kong, which is ACTUALLY part of China, doesn't receive this kind of special treatment. This is a balant misrepresentation of the situation and has indeed insulted me and possibly other Taiwanese as well if there are any. I hope this is simply a technical problem and I'd like to see it remedied. I am not suggesting anyone to put "Taiwan, an independent state" there. I am only asking that the choice of word being neutral and factual (ie: Republic of China or simply, Taiwan, would suffice).

I know this is a rather strongly worded post. However, I'm sure you can understand the extreme rudeness if I put "Israel, part of Palestine" there. As players here often deal with matters of historical significance, I think that neutrality and objectivity should be an integral rule of conduct, both to the usual forum goers and the administration alike. Sorry if I sound like nagging, but this is an important issue to me and I want to make sure it won't happen to anyone else, no matter what nationality.
Ah, you are right. Very sorry, I grabbed that list of nations from the index, didn't look at all of them that closely. I apologize for the mistake, I will change that.

Neal
Old 07-29-06, 11:18 PM   #3
ME$$ENGER
Watch

Downloads: 14

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad it's just a simple oversight with no particular intent.
ME$$ENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 04:05 AM   #4
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
"Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China.
As far as I know China still sees Taiwan as an unfaithfull province. So I guess Neal has more Chinese blood in him then we all think he has
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 09:20 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Neal, your two emails were a day late, I took the SH4 poll the day before.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 10:01 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebbel
Quote:
"Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China.
As far as I know China still sees Taiwan as an unfaithfull province. So I guess Neal has more Chinese blood in him then we all think he has
I'm not going to p$ss that guy off, I changed it
Old 07-30-06, 10:01 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED
Neal, your two emails were a day late, I took the SH4 poll the day before.
No problem, and remember, this isn't like voting in Chicago or Florida, only vote once