Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-09, 10:03 PM   #1
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default A subsim written in Python?

Hello all.

Several years ago, after the world of open source software (and the plethora of incredible and powerful UNIX clones available) piqued my interest I attempted to learn the C programming language. After all, this was the language used to create all this great UNIX stuff. I owed it to myself to learn this stuff. After doing so I would be able to make any modification to any program I found, provided of course that the source code was available. My decision was soon met with frustration and confusion as I realized that this programming stuff is just plain hard.

After my failed attempt at learning a "real" programming language my uncle suggested that I start with something a little easier, such a Python. I scoffed at this, and in turn never learned to program a thing. Several years passed.

And then, just the other day I decided I'd give this thing another go. This time I'd follow some suggestions and try to understand this Python thing before anything else.

So, what reason do I have to even learn programming at all? Very simple; To create my own subsim.

I have played many great subsims, but I always find myself unhappy with certain aspects of them. So, I'll just make my own with all the features I want. Right?

My idea is pretty simple, and I don't think there will be any problem in using Python to create it. But then again, what do I know?

The primary means of displaying information to the player will be through the 2D map screen. There will be no 3D environment or fancy graphics in this game, instead I will focus on the aspects that are most important to me. These include, but are not limited to:

1) A dynamic campaign. (God help me!)
2) Accurately modeled AI behavior. (Oh ****...)
3) Cold War gone hot theater. Late 70's to early 90's perhaps. (Easy enough, I guess.)
4) Acurate-ish sonar conditions including (OMG!):
A) Thermal layers
B) Surface ducts
C) And some more stuff in later stages, perhaps.
5) Command of US Navy nuclear attack submarine, perhaps a Permit or Sturgeon class. (Hmmm...)
6) Adequate time compression for long transits.

My main inspiration will come from Red Storm Rising. I especially like the user interface, as it is a simple and effective one. For those of you unfamiliar with RSR, most of the gameplay takes place at the 2D map screen:

(Note that all contacts are placed on the map display and other information regarding ownship and selected target are displayed in the column to the left.)

Unlike RSR however, I will use the combat display as the transit display as well. (In RSR there are two main modes: Strategic Transit, where you move your sub over long distances under high time compression. And Combat Mode, which is entered when your sonar crew detects a contact. The above screenshot is showing the game during Combat Mode.)

Unlike some other subsims, such as Sub Command or Dangerous Waters, you will be able to explore the entire map of the Atlantic instead of just a small section for the current mission. You will be able to zoom the map screen in and out, of course.

Okay, blah blah blah. That's all I've got so far. These are just ideas and I am nowhere near beginning this game, as I am only learning the most basic parts this Python stuff right now. But this is a general idea of what I would like to do in the future.

What do you all think of this? Will Python suit my needs?
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote